View Diary: The demographic underpinnings behind America's blue shift, illustrated with interactive maps (84 comments)

•  Constitutional changes are needed to make (4+ / 0-)

our government more representative of the American People. Weighting senate votes to reflect the different population sizes of the states for example,

"If Wall Street paid a tax on every “game” they run, we would get enough revenue to run the government on." ~ Will Rogers

by Lefty Coaster on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 11:46:50 AM PDT

•  Getting people to vote and protecting their vote (9+ / 0-)

That would be a good start.

-National voter rolls taking it out of the hands of all the Katherine Harris wannabes,
      -Making election day a paid federal holiday so everyone could vote,
      -Giving convicted prisoners their vote after they did their time,
      -Nonpartisan district map making so that gerrymandering would end once and for all.
      -Federal financing of elections
      -Ban on outside money in elections
      -Early voting
      -Mail in voting

There are so many options.  But if we want to fix our system we have to make sure everyone eligible to vote has the opportunity to vote and ensure that their vote won't get stolen.  The more people get to vote the more likely Dems win without without gerrymandering.  With  non partisan groups drawing the district lines we wouldn't ever again have to worry about the ridiculous gerrymandering where we get 3-90% Dem districts and 12-55% GOP districts in blue states.  Then we have to get money OUT of our election process.  That will help in ending the corrupting of our system.

If we had those things then our representatives would be more representative of the people in their districts.

This is your world These are your people You can live for yourself today Or help build tomorrow for everyone -8.75, -8.00

by DisNoir36 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 12:19:57 PM PDT

•  I believe we should double the size of the (1+ / 0-)
      Berkeley Fred

House, outlaw gerrymandering, have CDs drawn by independent committees, and enact campaign finance reform for starters. Personally I wouldn't mind just doing away with the Senate and going to a parliamentary system similar to the UK. But my views are probably too radical, even for DK.

Guns are never the principal in the commission of a crime, but they are usually an accomplice

by MadGeorgiaDem on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 12:36:03 PM PDT

•  Whatever. (1+ / 0-)
        cville townie
        But my views are probably too radical, even for DK.
        Bullshit.

Don't just say it, do it.
        If you can't win elections, why should anyone listen to you?

Setting the size of each house district to the smallest state population would be interesting.  I'm not going to defend 435 as any line in the sand.

Frankly, if you want to make the Senate irrelevant, get a few thousand of your closest friends together and fucking do it.

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 07:43:51 PM PDT

•  For talking ro me like an asshole. (0+ / 0-)

I don't talk to others that way and I wont take from others.

by MadGeorgiaDem on Mon Mar 10, 2014 at 01:18:58 AM PDT

•  Odysseus, I initially hide rated your comment, (1+ / 0-)
            Odysseus

but I thought better of it after some reflection. Maybe this is the way people talk to each other where you come from. Where I come from it is considered inappropriate and I'll leave it at that.

by MadGeorgiaDem on Mon Mar 10, 2014 at 05:28:23 AM PDT

•  Trust me (1+ / 0-)
              MadGeorgiaDem

You're far from the first at this site or in my life to call me a jerk.

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Mon Mar 10, 2014 at 08:12:31 AM PDT