View Diary: Operation Underworld (37 comments)

•  Between the Mafia and Communists, with (5+ / 0-)

whom do our elites have more in common?

The frog jumped/ into the old pond/ plop! (Basho)

by Wolf10 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 07:53:56 AM PST

•  Communism was, in the words of George Kennan, (5+ / 0-)
      jacey, gjohnsit, BlackSheep1, marko, Wolf10

" a fig leaf" used to cover a criminal conspiracy.

The fig leaf our elites use is globalized free market capitalism marinated with Keynesian economic theory.

Criminals are criminals, with or without flags, anthems, and lapel pins.

Rivers are horses and kayaks are their saddles

by River Rover on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 08:12:07 AM PST

•  What's your problem with Keynes? /nt (2+ / 0-)
        River Rover, Wolf10

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
        I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
        —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 08:42:23 AM PST

•  Nothing is wrong with Keynesianism (5+ / 0-)

The problem is that people only read the parts of General Theory that they want to read. That goes for both his critics and his supporters.
            Same goes for Wealth of Nations.

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann von Goethe

by gjohnsit on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 08:59:28 AM PST

•  Have you done a diary on Smith? (1+ / 0-)
            Wolf10
            •  No (5+ / 0-)

but I've been thinking about doing a diary about Marx's crisis theory.

I've been researching various economic theories recently.
              The reason is because I don't think the global robbery of the 1st world's middle class is simply a case of greed. I think there are certain unsustainable elements of capitalism that are causing this, but you are only going to find the answer outside of the present neoclassical, Chicago-school version of economics.

by gjohnsit on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 09:23:58 AM PST

•  That would be great too. :) And agree. (1+ / 0-)
                BlackSheep1
              •  There's an interesting little piece at Naked (1+ / 0-)
                gjohnsit

Capitalism about not needing the 1%. I think a lot of commenters misunderstood the intent or maybe I did. In any event, I found it thought provoking. My comments there are under the name lee.

The frog jumped/ into the old pond/ plop! (Basho)

by Wolf10 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 10:57:53 AM PST

•  It's a simplistic article (1+ / 0-)
                  Wolf10

As if we can just ignore the 1%. As if the 1% would ever allow us to ignore them.

by gjohnsit on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 11:32:17 AM PST

•  I read it differently (0+ / 0-)

From NC comments

lee
                    March 7, 2014 at 11:16 am
                    I think you are missing the point. Falconry is possible because the raptor is trained in such a way that it does not realize the critters it catches are food. It is never allowed to consume what it catches but eats only from the falconer’s hand. Sometimes a bird makes the connection between what it catches and the food it requires. Then the game is over and the bird will typically fly away.

The 99% have the physical, technical and organizational skills to provide for ourselves without the leadership or mediation of the 1%. We just don’t quite know it yet and it is toward that insight that the post directs us.

Reply ↓
                    washunate
                    March 7, 2014 at 2:22 pm
                    Let me know when prisoners can fly away unchased by TPTB.

Reply ↓
                    lee
                    March 7, 2014 at 3:18 pm
                    Consciousness precedes action as in a class not just in itself but for itself. The author’s intent be damned, I find the “we don’t need them” meme, which I derived from my reading, or misreading as the case may be, to be quite powerful

The frog jumped/ into the old pond/ plop! (Basho)

by Wolf10 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 12:23:24 PM PST

•  Personal rule: don't argue religion, economics or (0+ / 0-)

any other faith based discipline.
          So, since I won't defend my that part of my comment I should't have made it.
          Sorry

Rivers are horses and kayaks are their saddles

by River Rover on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 10:36:25 AM PST

•  Great story (0+ / 0-)

My mother can tell you about communism. She managed to escape east Germany and was not re-united with a sister for 30 years and a brother for 40.

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato

by marko on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 10:50:57 AM PST

•  Stalinism is not a universally revered model (1+ / 0-)
          gjohnsit

on the socialist left. Furthermore democratic socialists when they have  won elections in the U.S. sphere of influence have not fared well. Salvadore Allende's sister didn't get to visit him either after he was murdered during a U.S. sponsored coup. The list could go on.

The frog jumped/ into the old pond/ plop! (Basho)

by Wolf10 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 11:12:33 AM PST

•  Stalinism (1+ / 0-)
            Wolf10

is not the same thing as Trotskyism, Marxism, or Leninism. Although you would never know that from reading American newspapers.
              Stalin took "shortcuts" with communism. The entire idea of stripping the internationalist elements from communism basically gutted the whole point of Marxism.

One interesting thing I've been reading from Lenin's writing recently is how imperialism is considered the natural state of financial capitalism.
               When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. And it gives you an idea of what the future holds unless the banks are reformed.

by gjohnsit on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 11:29:05 AM PST

•  Imperialism derives I suppose from the growth (1+ / 0-)
              gjohnsit

imperative of capital that must seek perpetual exponential growth above all other considerations. Have you read Herman Daley on steady-state economics? I've had the book for awhile but have yet to read it.

The frog jumped/ into the old pond/ plop! (Basho)

by Wolf10 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 12:42:33 PM PST