View Diary: 65% of Americans want Keystone XL pipeline even though 47% think it could harm the environment (177 comments)

•  Jim, at some point we're going to have to (1+ / 0-)
    Jim P

get together, those of us who want to work on these deep issues of strategy, infrastructure-building, etc., and, well, start the work. I don't know about you but I've been saying stuff like this for years too, hoping someone with more power, more money, more high-level contacts would listen. Apparently nobody is going to, and it may have to be us that does the work, even though my guess is we really don't have the resources necessary to do it. But if nobody ever starts the work, it certainly won't get done.

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 04:21:26 PM PST

•  You know, if I'm going to keep hanging around (1+ / 0-)
      SouthernLiberalinMD

here anymore, maybe something like what you suggest is the way to go.

The moment is gone, but remember back when Jimmy Carter told the German Press "The United States is Not a Functioning Democracy." That sure didn't big play (if any coverage at all) in the US Press, but later I thought:

"There's a diary. 'You Say the Internet Will Change Everything; I Say Little that Matters. Prove Me Wrong.'"

With the challenge: make mass-reach media cover what a former US President said about us.

Maybe a similar but more current story will appear soon, if it's worth doing.

The intent being: if I'm wrong, something will have changed, in this case the National focus. If I'm right, then people will have a more refined notion of what exactly could be done with this tool we have for the time-being. And what we can't do.

I dunno. Maybe a "Free the Press" group. I've given up my "Bloodthirsty Kos Group" idea. I think that would be too massive a group to have.

Actual Democrats: the surest, quickest, route to More Democrats. And actually addressing our various emergencies.

by Jim P on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 06:58:39 PM PST

•  PS: crowd-funding. Get one bloody commercial (1+ / 0-)
        SouthernLiberalinMD

on in prime time, and there you go: out of our contained little internet and into the mass of viewers.

by Jim P on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 06:59:38 PM PST

•  You're thinking quick and dirty (1+ / 0-)
        Jim P

what can be done right now with tools we have--which I like, actually, a lot. I was thinking long-term building of new structures, but in fact, both need to be done at once.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 08:05:14 PM PST

•  Journal. Miles. Step. Prairie Fire. (0+ / 0-)

I'm very distracted these days. But I like the idea of trying to get something started. Nudge me if you don't hear from me soon, and you want to. You've inspired me, I think.

by Jim P on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 10:18:42 PM PST

•  curses. 'JourNEY' etc. (0+ / 0-)

Been doing that too much lately.

by Jim P on Fri Mar 07, 2014 at 10:20:35 PM PST

• Media (25)
  • Spam (22)
  • Education (22)
  • Labor (22)
  • GOP (22)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site