View Diary: Conservative bigots whine about being social pariahs (240 comments)

•  So said every religious bully every place every (1+ / 0-)
    mojo70

time, including the Christian ones trying to get Jews to not complain about the Christmas tree in the lobby.

The person Kos describes knew how her co-workers felt about religion; they were free to talk. She was not. So their religion was appropriate for the workplace; hers wasn't.

That's pretty much the definition of bullying, no? I can do it, you can't, because I've got the power.

Purity is for primaries; in the general, our worst are better than their best.

by blue aardvark on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 10:17:37 AM PDT

•  Sorry Blue (0+ / 0-)

I usually agree with your posts, but I think you're avoiding a couple of important points here.

(1) If one's religion preaches hatred, then it's not acceptable in any workplace I've been a part of. If one want to hide one's hatred behind the veneer of religion, fine, but it's still hatred.

(2) I don't see any evidence in the story that the individual's religion wasn't acceptable in the workplace, aside from one recounting of one other employee's negative statement. Unless s/he works in a 2-person workplace, there needs to be more evidence to support the contention.

(3) This is, of course, the basic tension of liberalism: must we defend illiberal speech?

As Aaron Sorkin put it in The American President -
      "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."

•  One person's hatred is another person's values (0+ / 0-)

You wish to make expressing certain opinions less protected than other opinions? That's illiberal, as you go on to point out.

And it seems pretty damn clear that this person was outnumbered, her co-workers spoke disparagingly of her faith tradition in front of her all the time. Don't try to make that somehow OK because you don't like what her tradition teaches.

I mentioned someone I know who works in a New York newsroom, at a senior level, who lives in the closet as an Evangelical, out of fear of her colleagues learning the truth — this, given their openly expressed spite for Evangelicals.
        That's not limited to opinions on gay marriage. That's ongoing routine belittlement of one faith by a majority of workers in a workplace, to the detriment of an adherent thereof. It's not OK.

Purity is for primaries; in the general, our worst are better than their best.

by blue aardvark on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 11:00:17 AM PDT

•  I know it's easy to dig in heels when a discussion (1+ / 0-)
          Old Sailor

ensues, but I find it hard to believe you just accept a third hand account of what's going on in a particular workplace, particularly when the story is told for a political purpose.  I'd like a few more details of what happens before I'm ready to judge the co workers.

•  Again, I quote Kos's quote (0+ / 0-)
        That's not being asked to rein in anything. That's your coworkers routinely talking about how they don't like your faith. Substitute any other religion and how does it scan?

Purity is for primaries; in the general, our worst are better than their best.

by blue aardvark on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 11:01:35 AM PDT

•  If you just keep religion out or work (2+ / 0-)
          Old Sailor, debocracy

this would not be a problem.  Another point, any religion that preaches bigotry deserves to be disparaged. It is not bullying to call someone out for their hatred.

•  OBL: 'I promote bombing airports' (0+ / 0-)

Muslim co-workers: 'you're fundamentalist free speech is evil, OBL.'

♥ Repeal the Capital Gains, Carried Interest & Dividends Entitlements bequeathed to 'more special' taxpayers.

by in on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 01:09:25 AM PDT

•  sorry Blue (1+ / 0-)
          Old Sailor

Still doesn't hold water.

The individual is still complaining that others are prejudiced toward her because of her own prejudices, or, more correctly, the prejudices often and openly expressed by members of the group with which she chooses to affiliate.

And if her ability to keep her job, her ability to get married, or any other right is not under threat because of her perception of her colleagues' "spite" for evangelicals, then she's not facing the same issues that we're talking about here.

There are no states that have passed laws that ban being an evangelical in the newsroom. There are no states that have banned evangelical marriage.
          You can't require people to like you, but you can get laws passed that require them to allow you basic civil rights.

•  You're mixing apples with oranges here. There (2+ / 0-)
      Old Sailor, koosah

might well be an occasion for which religion becomes relevant, but that is very rare.

The person Kos described here CLAIMS she can't speak of her religious views, but that her co workers do.  I find that claim unlikely.  It's typical of the kind of story I hear all the time from the super religious about how they're persecuted.  Invariably, it turns out they think their religion sets them up in a separate category that deserves special treatment.

I remember when my family's church wanted to start a school.  You should have heard the horror stories about how the local government was discriminating against them by making it impossible.  Yeah, discriminating against them by enforcing the fire code and other safety regulations.

I just find it very hard to believe New York news rooms have time to be discussing various individuals religious beliefs.  Most people consider that a private matter.  I happen to be an atheist.  I know a LOT of people and work closely with many.  I doubt that more than a half dozen have a clue what my religious belief is.  Nor do I know what theirs are unless some specific reason, such as time and day of a meeting conflict, comes up.  It's just not something that's typically a topic of discussion among people unless they're friends.

•  or her xian co-workers disagree (1+ / 0-)
      Old Sailor

with her Biblical Definitions™

Her co-workers may be majority Christian, and don't consider 'biblical definition' assholiness to be holy as she does.
      but since most of  her Christianity jibes with the views of other Christians, she won't be persecuted by Christians.

by in on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 12:58:10 AM PDT

•  omitted word and ambiguity, fixes (0+ / 0-)

to be as holy as she thinks her assholiness is

by in on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 01:03:33 AM PDT