View Diary: Andrew Cuomo following Joe Lieberman path to presidency (291 comments)

•  Is she is the nominee, she is the answer. (5+ / 0-)

At the end of the day, when she has a GOP opponent to compare/contrast, you will vote for her. Get this out of your system now. If nothing else, remember the courts.

I have accepted that Warren won't run, time to think team.

New Republic: So are the left-wing blogs as bad as the Tea Party ones in this case? -------------------------Chuck Schumer: Left-wing blogs are the mirror image. They just have less credibility and less clout.

by AlexDrew on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 02:18:46 PM PDT

•  nope (10+ / 0-)

If she or any other wall street Democrat is on the top of the ticket I'm leaving it blank. It doesn't matter here in Massachusetts anyway. Don't give me ultimatums or you'll just get them right back.

I sing praises in the church of nonsense, but in my heart I'm still an atheist, demanding sense of all things.

by jbou on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 02:22:32 PM PDT

•  It does matter matter. (1+ / 0-)
        Rosalie907

If she wins an "electoral landslide" with 51% of the vote, a mandate is debatable. If she wins say 55% of the vote or more, there is no debate. States such as Mass, Cali etc... give her the ability to run up the raw vote score. Reagan won 49 states with 58.8% of the vote in 84. You don't think that mattered?

Like I said, if Rand Paul or arrogant Christie is the nominee, you will come around. Your tantrum will subside.

Do you care about the courts?

by AlexDrew on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 02:36:57 PM PDT

•  Nope (11+ / 0-)

I won't come around. And if Democrats are going to continue to put moderate corporate friendly judges on the court and not fight for the workers and the consumers in this country then they can go Fuck themselves. I'm tired of the liberals being told to wait. We're done waiting. I hope you enjoy president Wall Street Democrat New York.

by jbou on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 02:42:59 PM PDT

•  I have to ask, would you prefer a GOP prez (1+ / 0-)
            poco

over Hillary?

by AlexDrew on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 02:57:26 PM PDT

•  No (7+ / 0-)

But I don't want a wall Street Democrat either. I prefer not to be stabbed or shot and if the choice is between someone like Hillary Clinton or someone like Rand Paul it's just a choice between stabbed or shot. Either way I'm fucked.

by jbou on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 03:01:12 PM PDT

•  If you don't vote for her over her opponent, (1+ / 0-)
                poco

how is that not supporting the GOP?

by AlexDrew on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 03:14:11 PM PDT

•  I don't support either side (0+ / 0-)

by jbou on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 03:19:36 PM PDT

•  News. (3+ / 0-)
                    poco, sukeyna, Rosalie907

The Republicans don't care whether you vote for their candidate or sit out the election or vote for a 3rd party candidate as long as you don't vote for the Democratic nominee.

While you are sitting at home boycotting the election please wave goodbye to the Supreme Court. Say hello to more decisions like Citizen's United. Say hello to a court that will enable the troglodyte wing of the Republican Party and all its plutocratic, theocratic ideological mayhem.

The world is a den of thieves and night is falling. -Ingmar Bergman

by Pirogue on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 04:01:06 PM PDT

•  I don't care (7+ / 0-)

Fix the Democratic party.

by jbou on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 04:29:32 PM PDT

•  While you sit (0+ / 0-)

around waiting for someone else to come along and "fix" it? Is that what you are hoping will happen? But "fixing" the Democratic Party will be useless unless you can also "fix" the great mass of voters who reside in the "undecided" middle. "Fixing" one and not the other will only result in a Supreme Court that will create a future where any "fixing" at all becomes more and more problematic. One more appointment by a Neo-Con and you will have created a court that is fatally hostile to all the political ideals you hold most dear. It would be a disaster that might takes generations to overcome.

If your campaign to isolate people on the leftward end of the party succeeds all you will do is deliver the presidency (along with the Supreme Court) to the most extreme right wing of the Republicans because you will have reduced the numbers who will vote for their Democratic opposition. Either that or you will force the mainstream Democrats (read Democrats who have a chance of winning) to the right because they will understand that this the only way for them to get into office and thereby be in a position to actually effect results in the real world, as opposed to the fantasy world of some impossible ideal of political perfection.

If your grand plan is to teach the Democratic Party a "lesson" I am afraid the only lesson you will be teaching is that they must more to the right or forfeit power to the Tea Party crazies.

The world is a den of thieves and night is falling. -Ingmar Bergman

by Pirogue on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 04:56:01 PM PDT

•  there's no great mass of voters in the middle (11+ / 0-)

I can't believe that you buy their bullshit.  Polling firms are well known for their corporate bias because the corporations pay the bills.  So the imaginary middle of the road voter is created and somehow that voter wants spineless sellouts in office.  I can't take you seriously.

by jbou on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 05:09:52 PM PDT

•  The world is crumbling and (0+ / 0-)

you are making a semantic argument. Whatever you call them there are a lot of voters who are in the middle in the sense that they are poised ideologically between those further to the left and those further to the right. However onerous this reality is to any of us that is where the fight is taking place. If you bring the fight to the leftward margin of the party and try to splinter it off, then all you have done is moved the conversation further to the right.

As much as I respect and admire Sanders the middle wrung of voters (which, however polls are conducted, must exist as a matter of mathematical reality) will run and hide in the night if the hear the word socialist. This is the reality you have to change if you want to elect Sanders. I would certainly vote for him in a choice between him and any republican. But if he is the Democratic candidate there is not a chance in hell of his winning. It doesn't matter how erect his spine is. If, on the other hand, he is a third party candidate whatever votes he receives in swing states are votes that just as valuable to the Republicans as their own voters.

Again, as I said before, you are free to vote for a support whomever you please, but please be aware of the disaster for the future a neo-con SCOTUS would be.

You seem to feel animus toward me but it is not returned. I imagine if we sat down and talked about our visions for the future of the country they would be quite similar. Where we differ is how to get there and I think we differ on how important the Supreme Court is to those aspirations.

The world is a den of thieves and night is falling. -Ingmar Bergman

by Pirogue on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 06:14:02 PM PDT

•  you're making that up (2+ / 0-)
                            Brown Thrasher, splintersawry

The voters didn't run from the black guy with the Muslim name. Why? They liked him on a personal level.  The emotional voter who bases their vote on feel is who decides these things.  Likable and optimistic wins the day.  Clinton, Dubya and Obama all prove this theory.  Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama did as little as possible to rock any boats in the Senate,  both were feckless Democrats angling to be president so neither one of them stood for anything.  It's pathetic.  It literally comes down to a likable face and a smooth optimistic speech delivery.

by jbou on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 06:27:22 PM PDT

•  Well we can't fix the Democratic Party (0+ / 0-)

Unless we have a Democratic Party and if we elect Republicons either by pulling the lever for them or sitting out an election we're just as guilty.

Never be afraid to voice your opinion and fight for it . Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans (Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011) Voting is a louder voice than a bullhorn but sometimes you need that bullhorn to retain your vote.

by Rosalie907 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 08:19:48 PM PDT

•  News: jbou lives in Mass. One non-HRC vote there (6+ / 0-)

Does. Not. hand SCOTUS over to ReThugs.

Come on, think.  Don't react.

"But I do apologize, JVolvo, for you are arbiter of all that can and cannot be discussed and I bow down to your supremacy when it comes to what can be written on this website." WinSmith 1/22/2014 - "OK" JVolvo 1/23/2014 (sorry, Clive)

by JVolvo on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 05:38:12 PM PDT

•  Stop saying this stuff (0+ / 0-)
                      The commenter lives in Massachusetts. One fewer vote in MASSACHUSETTS, where the Dem will win the electoral votes handily, will not make an iota of difference in the outcome of the 2016 election. It's one of the (many) nice things about living here.

“Republicans...think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people... And they admire of Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it.” Harry S. Truman

by fenway49 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 08:41:44 AM PDT

•  I am not sure it is having a tantrum to (12+ / 0-)

worry about electing  a hawk.

•  Frankly, people like you are why.... (16+ / 0-)

....we accept such mediocre candidates and drive people away from the Democratic Party. We have to give people something to vote for. If we accept Republican policies and Republican frames, we lose unless we have candidates with personal appeal. In the meantime, a party with no principles doesn't get its people to turn out for mid-terms or local elections and it sucks for party building. Also, while I'm at it, I'd like to reject the notion that having a blandly corporate candidate is the way to appeal to political independents. They're not going to say, "well, gosh, the Democrats just perfectly split the difference on this economic issue, so I've gotta vote for them." No, voters support candidates with real solutions.

•  I really don't understand why a very small, vocal (1+ / 0-)
            Pirogue

minority is so against her. Go issue by issue and tell me where you disagree with her. I would bet its less than 10%. And I would bet that it would be that way with all but a handful of "perfect" Dems who could never win a national election.

I am all about primaries, I fucking love them. What I am asking is if she wins the nomination, will they support her. They are saying no.

by AlexDrew on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 03:18:30 PM PDT

•  Iraq war vote?? She is a hawk and a corporatist (12+ / 0-)

I am always amazed that such people get a pass here because they have a D after their name.

How many senators get more Wall STreet money than Schumer?? And when Hillary's seat opened, why did both Hillary and Schumer force Gillibrand down our throats, even running Caroline Kennedy out of contention? They are all Wall Streeters. Big money people. Hey, maybe they have to be to win in NY, but do we have to just shrug and accept them?

What about Biden? I am seriously interested to see that no one thinks he will run. Me, I think he will run. I don't know that he would win, but he might very well run.

My dog is a member of Dogs Against Romney: He rides inside.

by adigal on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 03:39:05 PM PDT

•  Your first point (7+ / 0-)

about running up the score in the national popular vote has nothing to do with "caring about the courts" if there's a bad Republican nominee (and is there any other kind?). If Hillary, or any other Democrat, wins, that person appoints the judges.

Saying this person's vote will lead to a "GOP President" is silly - we're discussing a voter in freaking Massachusetts.

by fenway49 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 03:16:02 PM PDT

•  I am talking about taxes etc... (0+ / 0-)

I used the courts as an example of supporting her for that reason if nothing else. As far as a prez's mandate, the pop vote does matter. Don't excuse apathy. This blog is about electing Dems, remember?

by AlexDrew on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 03:30:30 PM PDT

•  I'm still hoping Bader Ginsberg retires soon (0+ / 0-)

I know she isn't well, I can't even imagine a Republican replacing her.

My dog is a member of Dogs Against Romney: He rides inside.

by adigal on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 05:19:03 PM PDT

•  I'm wanting Biden/Obama. (4+ / 0-)
      Mannie, KenBee, poco, Pale Jenova

Michelle had more experience than Barack when he ran for the Senate. She's got more administrative experience now.

by hannah on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 02:50:43 PM PDT

•  hmmm (5+ / 0-)

just noticed your signature line.

Trying to bring us to the third right way?

The 1% are becoming sociopaths. PERIOD. That wealth is making them sick. Entitled and unanswerable to anyone.Personal responsibility is for the suckers, er, the middle class and poor.. -- cagernaut, 30 October 2013

by billlaurelMD on Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 03:06:42 PM PDT

•  True for Hillary Clinton (0+ / 0-)

NOT true for Andrew Cuomo. R vs R is no choice.

And God said, "Let there be light"; and with a Big Bang, there was light. And God said "Ow! Ow My eyes!" and in a flash God separated light from darkness. "Whew! Now that's better. Now where was I. Oh yea . . ."

by Pale Jenova on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 07:25:09 AM PDT