View Diary: Windows XP - Less Than One Month Remains of Microsoft Support (46 comments)

•  I loved XP!!! (1+ / 0-)
    Hey338Too

unfortunately, my laptop finally died after seven years.

I now have a new laptop with windows 8.1. Very steep learning curve to where I could not even locate my old control panel.

I also have IYOGI which I love. Go straight to India and cut out the middleman! They help me all the time and set up my system so that it is more user friendly.

We have it within our power to make the world over again ~ Thomas Paine

by occupystephanie on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 11:21:38 AM PDT

•  Would you send me a kosmail with more info (2+ / 0-)
      occupystephanie, Hey338Too

On your laptop.

The computers @ the library are updated to the last windows OS I guess that would be win 7. I am not up for learning New thing unless its Apple which I can figure out without having to think too much.
      Thx

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 11:58:26 AM PDT

•  Well if you want to "fight the future" then (1+ / 0-)
      Hey338Too

you can get Start8 and ModernMix from Stardock which will make it pretty close to Windows 7.  Of course, the whole point of Windows 8 is that Metro/Modern, touch, and voice is the future and the desktop, keyboards and mice are deprecated and obsolete despite how painful it is typing a large document or trying to play FPS games on a touch screen (for the latter you are supposed to buy an Xbox).  In fact, I bet Windows 9 won't even have a desktop mode, it will be all Metro/Modern.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 04:22:57 AM PDT

•  I don't have the money or time & instead (1+ / 0-)
        Hey338Too

Of bashing me for trying to find a temporary solution which is what i need. It's stopgap only.

Personally I want to go to Apple which is way our of my price range. Some of us don't have the resources time or money or desire to invest in this kind of learning.

ID rather spend time volunteering or working in the garden.

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 06:57:29 AM PDT

•  Well like it or not for the most part you (1+ / 0-)
          Hey338Too

have had to find third party workarounds for Windows limitations.  Remember having to use Trumpet Winsock because at the time Windows did not have internet support at all?  The combination of Start8 and ModernMix should get you by until you can switch over to Mac.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 07:12:55 AM PDT

•  Without trying to push too hard on the Linux... (0+ / 0-)

... option, there are some fairly easy ways (and tutorials) to make Linux  look and behave like XP or even the Apple operating system.  It's one of the amazing things you get with a free and open sourced operating system.

When I first got started with Linux, that was one of the draws of the operating system for me - the way I interacted with the computer felt familiar (and I could change it in almost any way I saw fit).  One of the big differences between Linux and the other operating systems is that they separate the way you interact with the computer from the actual "guts" of the programs which make the computer work.  So if you want to go from an XP look to an Apple look, or anything in between, you can do so.

That being said, Linux is still Linux and Windows is Windows.  So there will still be some learning involved.

Looking through the bent backed tulips, To see how the other half lives, Looking through a glass onion - John Lennon and Paul McCartney

by Hey338Too on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 12:04:45 PM PDT