View Diary: "I've always been able to find work" (84 comments)

•  can facebook (7+ / 0-)

be a good venue for getting the message out?

Or is it mostly people of like minds grouping together?

we cannot raise more money than the Republicans. So we must outthink them

by GideonAB on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 08:28:03 PM PDT

•  I'm terrified of it politically. (13+ / 0-)

I think it's a poor medium for politics, although I do post issue things, and dance with my 'friends' with the jury of peers in mind, but it's dicey.

I think it can be valuable, but it would be easy to be filtered and tuned out.

I do think we have some kind of obligation to stand up to some of the shit, and I'm ashamed to admit that I often don't speak up because I don't want to shit in the punch bowl, or be associated with the shit in the punchbowl.

I do a lot of business on fb and am concerned about that.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 08:33:29 PM PDT

•  does that fear apply to (6+ / 0-)

real life interactions?

I am wondering if part of the reason the RW does so well is that the left is too reluctant to try to persuade.

we cannot raise more money than the Republicans. So we must outthink them

by GideonAB on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 08:38:47 PM PDT

•  Not at all. It's the lack of feedback and room (7+ / 0-)

For misunderstanding. I also think fbs a distraction, and politics can be unwelcome there. Hard to persuade if you're pissing people off.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 06:17:35 AM PDT

•  Works better if you don't solo. (3+ / 0-)

If you have friends that you know agree with you, prod them off-line or via texts or emails to support your arguments online. People, in general, are social creatures who respond to group dynamics.

The political right is very good at "pack hunting" online. They descend on social media and website comment sections in waves, outnumbering alternate viewpoints and giving the impression of widely-held opinion. Follow the same approach by getting progressive friends to back up your political comments, and you'll fare better. The RWNJs can smell a lone liberal from far across space and time and will often outnumber you if you let them.*

*This reflects their tactics, not their actual numbers in society, mind you.

---

"God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

by dzog on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 11:31:20 AM PDT

•  Two profiles (2+ / 0-)
              xaxnar, Susan from 29

That's how I work it; one profile for personal stuff and one for politics.  I try to keep them separate, but of course once in a while something bleeds onto the personal page.

I finally came to that solution so my right-wing mom would refriend me.  I had convinced her to join so she could follow her kids' and grandkids' lives (we all live in different states), but she's horrified at my lefty self.

(aka NobleExperiments). ‎"Those who make a peaceful revolution impossible make a violent revolution inevitable" ~ John F. Kennedy

by smrichmond on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 11:35:05 AM PDT

•  Bingo. (0+ / 0-)

I think most of us, by now, realize that an appeal to reason does not work with people who are emotionally committed to irrational ideas.

And personally, I am too polite, and tolerant of the rights of others to believe what they chose. No matter how ridiculous or untrue.

But when advantage is taken of that tolerance, it is probably time for me to forget the amity that used to be part of civil discussion and start calling the RW out on its idiocy.

That said, I have filtered my FB feed to ignore most of the RW bs that is floating around, so yes, I do think that for me, at least, FB has become an echo chamber.

•  FB is a SEWER. EOM. (3+ / 0-)

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 at 10:00:23 PM PDT

•  Depends on who your friends are (10+ / 0-)

Most of the people I know either post about books, music, and art, or just normal day-to-day stuff, or their posts on politics are reasonable.

Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað

by milkbone on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 07:04:09 AM PDT

•  I'm not talking about politics. (2+ / 0-)
          thanatokephaloides, Old Sailor

But let's be political about it.

Facebook security puts your identity at risk. You know, your credit rating and all those obscure things about you that you're supposed to use to create secret Q&As for profiles at other sites? Oh, and FB doesn't provide security against malware other than itself, either.

Facebook serves as a target-rich environment for stalkers.
          Photos of you and everybody you care about, all over it.
          With your names. And a tool that lets other people pick you out of crowd shots. By name. Or add your name to photos you might not want to be known in. YOU have zero control over that, by the way.

FB decides what sort of content is objectionable or not arbitrarily. The content-okay runs heavily toward anti-women and pro-violence-toward-women, as well as pro-animal-torture.

FB decides what sort of slurs and threats it considers "humor." Many things that insult minorities, women, or the disabled fit right into the Faux-Noise-like "mainstream" on it.

Both of these are not okay.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 11:04:53 AM PDT

•  getting political about FB (2+ / 0-)
            xaxnar, BlackSheep1
            I'm not talking about politics. (1+ / 0-)

But let's be political about it.

Facebook serves as a target-rich environment for stalkers.
            Photos of you and everybody you care about, all over it.

Both of these are not okay.

I have one perfect word to add to that:

AMEN.

"It's high time (and then some) that we put an end to the exceptionalistic nonsense floating around in our culture and face the fact that either the economy works for all, or it doesn't work AT all." -- Sean McCullough (DailyKos user thanatokephaloides)

by thanatokephaloides on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 12:29:45 PM PDT

•  sewer (3+ / 0-)
        FB is a SEWER. EOM.
        Don't dis honest sewers like that. They serve a useful function.

Facebook is what would happen if there were no sewers.

;-(

by thanatokephaloides on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 12:26:54 PM PDT

•  Never been on it... (2+ / 0-)
        xaxnar, BlackSheep1

..or any other "social networking" site. I believe they are ALL cesspools. My granddaughters grandmother made a mistake (my daughter forbids any and all posts of any of their pictures anywhere) and posted the older girls picture to FB.

Let's just say there are a lot of perverts out there.

"Wealthy the Spirit which knows its own flight. Stealthy the Hunter who slays his own fright. Blessed is the Traveler who journeys the length of the Light."

by CanisMaximus on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 01:40:19 PM PDT

•  Social interactions in person and online influence (3+ / 0-)

politial opinions and actions more than advertising can ever do. The more the person is known to you the stronger the influence. Canvasers at the door may rank as 1 on a scale that goes to 10 for the influence of a friend but a real live 1 is better than impersonal media buys. (And there is  real research to back up that observation)

Life is just a bowl of Cherries, that stain your hands and clothes and have pits that break your teeth.

by OHdog on Thu Mar 13, 2014 at 10:20:25 AM PDT