View Diary: Again? Another Koch 'victim,' another lie (103 comments)

•  How about some Obamacare "hoorah" stories (27+ / 0-)

instead of horror stories?

I don't know if it's a money problem or what, but I'm not sure why, for example in Michigan, Gary Peters can't be running ads profiling people who finally got insurance after being denied for pre-existing conditions or who are spending less money for a more comprehensive plan.

We know not everyone is happy with the law, and some of the complaints are genuine. But there are also people like me who, if I ever lost my employer insurance plan could at least have a shot at getting insurance in the individual market despite a breast cancer diagnosis.  Paying more per month will hurt. Paying potentially hundreds of thousands dollars out of pocket for all my future healthcare would hurt a lot more.

•  and it is real insurance! (9+ / 0-)

Before the ACA we were all paying large sums of money to hopefully have coverage if we ever got sick.  Many are schocked to see how hard they must fight against preexisting conditions after paying for insurance for many years.

It was an unregulated racket and should have been reformed decades ago.

•  Agreed^3! ACA should pump out happy stories (4+ / 0-)
      FiredUpInCA, annan, Rogneid, JVolvo

These could be in conjunction with the current campaign to encourage people to sign up.

This seems pretty obvious, to me.

Is there something I'm missing, that explains why they haven't done so?

•  I think it's mainly a money issue (5+ / 0-)

It's still eight months until November.  The Koch strategy is to pummel the airwaves with these negative ads in the hope that Dem candidates will have to spend a lot of money countering them early in the cycle.  I'm hopeful that we will see more response as November gets closer.

Sadly, we are seeing what unlimited wealth can do when it is put to the purpose of deluding Americans into voting against their interests.   Since our side can't match this level of spending, we will have to keep our powder dry to some extent.

There's also the simple fact that time is on our side for the ACA.  Everyday, more people are getting coverage, getting treated, and realizing it's benefits.

•  We Got a Historic Defeat Last Midterm With (5+ / 0-)

this strategy. Not much reason to be hopeful about near-election response this year either.

by Gooserock on Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 10:05:48 AM PDT

•  The Koch bros combined net worth is ~$70 billion (5+ / 0-)

They could drop a billion dollars into every election year for the rest of their LIVES and still have billions left over.

That's why they are playing the ads so early and at saturation levels from the beginning. Who cares about $700,000? That's less than 0.0001% of their money. Would you throw out a dime if it meant that your ads would run nationwide?

The US is fundamentally an oligarchy hiding behind a scrap of democracy.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

by Hayate Yagami on Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 10:40:31 AM PDT

•  Another set of numbers: (2+ / 0-)
              Sharon Wraight, Sherri in TX

A total of $7 billion was spent, by both sides, in the 2012 election cycle. With just their existing fortune, the Kochs could spend that much on every election cycle (midterm and presidential) for the next 20 years, then retire with a comfortable billion dollars each. The Oligarchy really does have completely obscene amounts of cash.

by Hayate Yagami on Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 11:13:04 AM PDT

•  The internet is free (3+ / 0-)

Why are we not finding these people ourselves? Researching, profiling their success stories, writing the Hoorah's and pounding the internet with the truth?

There may be a lack of funds for big production campaign ads, but that is a gap we can help fill. The problem is that happy people don't bitch so we are not hearing about the success stories. We have to go find them.

I am willing to go looking - they must be out there somewhere on the internet. Anyone else?

"There is a special place in hell for women who do not help other women." ~Madeleine K. Albright

by jodylanec on Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 04:42:58 PM PDT

•  Not helpful that the old Obama PAC is (4+ / 0-)

Reportedly putting all their resources to 2016 election and none into this one.

•  I know people who haven't signed up yet. (1+ / 0-)
        ValkyrieValjean

They're waiting until the very last minute because they can't really afford ANY insurance. They can pay for it but their income is so low that it will mean giving up everything enjoyable in life. So they're waiting for the last minute. They did not have insurance before because they, as I said, really can't afford insurance AND new clothes for work, car maintenance, and so forth.

Their income is above the poverty level but they live in a high cost of living state. So the poverty level is much higher.

I suspect there are a lot of young people like that, who would rather pay the penalty than have that insurance payment hanging over their heads every month, taking all the joy out of life.

BUT all it would take is one accident or one major illness...

My daughter had health insurance when she broke her ankle. She's very active. That ankle cost $30,000. Even with insurance I paid $3,000 of it.

A very young person would have an awfully hard time coping with that kind of expense unless they make a huge wage for a young person.

I do know a few people who're waiting until the last minute. We'll see an uptick that last week. Or they will simply pay the penalty because they will not be able to save back the amount of cash up front they'll need just to sign up.

The bigger question is this: Why, in America, do our people have to go through this when other countries do not?

Yes, we would pay higher taxes for it, but that is a lot easier for young people to do than having to choose this month between getting their car fixed or buying shoes they need to go to work OR paying their health insurance premium.  We're talking about young people here. Take it out of their paychecks weekly and it's more possible for them.

What the rich man knows, and I know it too, is when taxes go up to pay for health insurance so everyone is covered almost 100%, then we will be wanting them to raise the minimum wage, too. And rightfully so. If a person works 40 hours a week for a man, and that man is getting filthy rich off the employee's work, then the employee deserves to have health insurance AND a living wage.

•  Insurance Company Profits (0+ / 0-)

The reason we have health insurance under the conditions of the ACA is because insurance companies lobbied for it this way so they would not be cut out of profiting from it. Single payer would cut out their profits.

•  I don't know why (8+ / 0-)

they havent been making any such ads. I mean, I'm in my mid 20s, and have insurance now, when a heart valve disorder i was born with stopped me from ever getting it at any price. Now I can actually keep my condition monitored and if needed, fixed. I don't have tons of money, it would probably mess up my finances for years, but I could do it if I absolutely needed!

Thankfully, I don't. Because thanks to the insurance, Ive gone to the doctor and found that no, I'm still okay. But that's great too. Its depressing wondering if you're heart is gonna decide to stop doing things right at random.

No light, no dark, no up, no down. No life. No time. Without end. My people called it The Void. The Eternals called it The Howling. But some people call it The Tea Party.

by kamrom on Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 10:31:34 AM PDT

•  So, kamrom are you going to publish this? (4+ / 0-)
        Eagles92, Lashe, jodylanec, Sherri in TX

Try going public to your local TV station. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Go on Facdebook, Twitter,YouTube, etc. PUBLICIZE your experience with Obamacare! This site is fine, but it is read by mostly progressive people who already know what you know. MAKE YOUR OWN AD! Put it on Facebook! Really! Get some funding from other Dems and go for it!. You might even get on TV!

•  Terrifying to learn (0+ / 0-)

when you were a teen or younger
        (Though there's nothing we can really say to help...)

♥ Repeal the Capital Gains, Carried Interest & Dividends Entitlements bequeathed to 'more special' taxpayers.

by in on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 01:29:01 AM PDT

•  MNSure (Minnesota) has been running a lot of ads (3+ / 0-)
      Penny GC, jodylanec, Sherri in TX

featuring individuals who are either able to afford insurance now or had their monthly premiums drop while getting better coverage; and some with small business owners who have been able to improve employee coverage while saving money.

It's quite refreshing!

Check out the MNSure YouTube channel.

(apologies for typos, bouncing a fussy baby)

On the whole, I prefer not to be lectured on patriotism by those who keep offshore maildrops in order to avoid paying their taxes. - Molly Ivins

by Lashe on Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 01:42:32 PM PDT

•  ACA Success Stories (2+ / 0-)
      Penny GC, jodylanec

via
      Facebook

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty, If your cup is full may it be again

by VPofKarma on Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 01:57:31 PM PDT