View Diary: Markos, “Why Are YOU Here?” (776 comments)

•  In those eight years, what has DK accomplished? (22+ / 0-)

How many "more or better" Democrats have we gotten into office?

The one issue that almost all Americans could unite on, the shredding of the 4th Amendment and the Snowden releases, didn't our fearless leader say there were more important things to focus on?

by gerrilea on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 12:51:46 AM PDT

•  I agree with the second half of your comment... (17+ / 0-)

...in terms of its intent. But, as far as the first half of your comment's concerned, the truth is that Daily Kos has accomplished quite a bit.

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 01:13:19 AM PDT

•  Why is it all up to him? (8+ / 0-)

Why does he or anyone have to be correct all the time?

I don't get that at all.

We can all disagree vehemently on a variety of issues, and still agree that the premise is to create a better union that doesn't exist solely to screw people over.

Disagreement, being wrong, failing--all of those are transitional states to success and problem solving. Sometimes you have to be wrong a few hundred million times so you know what is better or more correct when it comes along. That is most especially true when attempting to herd people or cats for that matter.

I am sorry I just don't see what all the big deal is over this. Perhaps I just don't understand the back story.

"It were a thousand times better for the land if all Witches, but especially the blessing Witch, might suffer death." qtd by Ehrenreich & English. For Her Own Good, Two Centuries of Expert's Advice to Women pp 40

by GreenMother on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 07:05:10 AM PDT

•  really great comment (7+ / 0-)

anyway, at some point we will have to move past this argument to bigger and better things.

I for one am trying in my little way to move one of the major parties to the left and keep it there.

others want to form a different entity (party or powerful voting block).

this site is specifically dedicated to the first project and not the second. those who want the second option don't seem to be convincing those who want the first option, which seems to be very frustrating. so they keep on trying, by telling those who disagree to "clap louder" and endlessly left-splaining how things really are. it's a big time waster. telling people to go form their own site isn't working either, since it seems that people hear that as not "agree to disagree" but as "agree or else".

can we at least all try to back off (me included) from now on?
        if you haven't said what you have to say  by now on this subject, you are seriously late now.

and I find sometimes I am in agreement with the same people who totally enrage me at other times. that tells me that we CAN all work together on some issues (so STAY!) and that we sometimes really are not going to change the other person's mind.

(warning: self puffery ahead!)

In my career in theatre, I've learned that personal disagreements can be gotten past for the sake of a project. but, projects can't go in opposite directions at the same time. fundamental disagreements about what a project is can threaten EITHER project option. so, if you really don't like KOS or the mission of this site enough to have that be a primary theme of what you write here, I think you owe it to YOURSELF to go somewhere else.

IMHO, KOS is extremely tolerant of people who disagree. he could just ban people right and left. instead, he speaks his mind like everyone else here, and sometimes what he says pisses people off, also like everyone else here.

this is the last comment I'll be making on this subject, except to respond (if needed).

please don't make me! : 0

•  This really should be your tagline (0+ / 0-)

by GreenMother on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 07:41:17 PM PDT

•  In last 8 years, to the extent that DKos.... (3+ / 0-)

supported the more and better Democrats, Democrats won the White House twice, appointed 2 young liberals to the Supreme Court, held onto the Senate in two election cycles where the Dems had little business holding on (a victory oftentimes for the more Democrats branch of the more and better Democrats) resulting in a removal of nomination filibusters, more state legislatures have turned blue, US got out of Iraq, or getting out of Afghanistan, health care reform (albeit not the kind we wanted but better than before), a vocal tide toward recognition of gay rights nationwide.... there's a lot quite frankly.

The site itself has been a big supporter of fundraising efforts for candidates in close races, awareness of issues, has excellent writers who make the front page a must read about 6-7 times a day, has a platform to promote issue oriented groups within the site and keeps marching on.

The Republican's Vicksburg and Petersburg, to use Civil War analogy, despite the Dems demographic advantage is that Republican won the battle of 2010 in the state houses to enable gerrymandering for a decade. And to continue the Civil War analogy, the corporate Dems are the equivalent of George McLellan undermining the war and seeking power for himself once the war was won.

I expect DKos to continue to be fighting the good fight.

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

by Magster on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 10:31:18 AM PDT

•  "Two young liberals to the Supreme Court"??? (0+ / 0-)

Sotomayor I'd agree with, but Kagan isn't anything close to liberal.

In fact, I've felt betrayed by having her appointed.  Because of conflicts of interest how many cases has she recused herself from?  How many should she have?

As for "holding onto the Senate", after the crimes of the Bush Cabal, we shouldn't be needing to hold on to anything.

Iraq & Afghanistan went as GW had already outlined, that had nothing to do with us.  Besides how many thousands of private contractors are still in those theaters?  That's not a very good example of something "accomplished".

Gay rights is the only thing I personally can point to as a success.  The ACA is criminal theft and I'm still waiting for it to be "fixed later" and Universal Healthcare to be passed, NOT mandatory health insurance products from for-profit private corporations.

Isn't the ultimate question here exactly this:

I expect DKos to continue to be fighting the good fight.
        This is what I'd hoped for when I signed up all those years ago.

I guess "the good fight" is in the eye of the beholder.

by gerrilea on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 05:00:37 PM PDT

•  Eight years ago was...2006? (2+ / 0-)
      gerrilea, Johnny Q

Between '06 and '08 we helped get lots of "more" D's into office, and some who actually were "better" but not nearly enough of the latter.

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 12:41:01 PM PDT