View Diary: An Actual Millenials Opinion Part 2 (87 comments)

•  Oh, and I'm also tired of reading about how great (0+ / 0-)

... the `60s and early `70s were.

Fuck, it's as if time stopped.

"Bob Johnson doesn't have special privileges, because really, why would I entrust that guy with ANYTHING?" - kos, November 9, 2013

by Bob Johnson on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 04:35:13 PM PDT

•  who writes that stuff (1+ / 0-)
      TheMomCat

those years sucked big-time

Warning - some snark may be above‽ (-9.50; -7.03)‽ eState4Column5©2013 "I’m not the strapping young Muslim socialist that I used to be" - Barack Obama 04/27/2013 (@eState4Column5).

by annieli on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 04:39:31 PM PDT

•  It's not how the 60s and early 70s (10+ / 0-)

were great Bob. By all accounts they weren't and faced their own set of generational problems. However it was still an age in which wages kept up with productivity and more Americans shared a greater piece of the pie (not meta) then now. It was before the counter revolution took place and liberal politicians were not afraid of espousing more keynesians solutions instead of discredited supply side economics. That is why it is tinged with nostalgia for many including myself when it was before I was born.

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” George Orwell

by Tool on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 05:09:39 PM PDT

•  Depends when and where you were (4+ / 0-)
        annieli, Tool, Whatithink, Kombema

By many accounts, the late 60's and 1970's had all kinds of issues, particularly if you were living in the inner city and experienced the white flight that left the already struggling ghetto neighborhoods left to rot.  However, there were some social gains for many African Americans and women, but many of them were shortchanged economically.  And for children, it was particularly rough as divorce rates skyrocketed.

I was just a young child during the 1970's, but as I grew up and came of age in the 1980's, my hometown was decimated by the loss of manufacturing jobs which it still never fully recovered from, and I also came of age during the initial rise of AIDS and crack cocaine.  Not to mention the disastrous "War on Drugs" that effectively incarcerated a whole generation on non-white people just for possessing small amounts of illegal drugs.

•  No use to try and have a real conversation (12+ / 0-)

with Bob.

He prefers to put words into people's mouths rather than to actually listen to them and try to respond to what they actually said.

But kos has set the diolog bar so low  now that the working class end of the Democratic Party might just STFU,  anything we say is now to be ridiculed.

I was there during the 60s, and 70s. It was a time of hard struggle. I knew folks who got their heads bashed in. But it was a time when we felt that our the struggle was bringing results.

Nowadays, not so much. Esp economically. I haven't had a raise in ten years. Meanwhile my rent has doubled, a little  at a time, but it has doubled. Everything else has gone up also. My co-workers are in the same boat.  Ditto with my neighbors.

In the 60s and 70s my former union was winning contract gains. They won fantastic health care coverage with a strike in the 60s, I wasn't a member then, but me and my children sure did benefit from that hard won fight when I joined in the late 70s.

Then came the Reagan-Bush recession and the slide began, give-backs, cuts in benefits. Of course those cuts and give-backs (in that particular union, Local 49, IUOE) didn't affect me because, by then, I had been out of work for a long time, and eventually had to take a job that paid less than half of what I had been making, and with two children to support, one of them seriously ill.

This is what the working class has been going thru ever since the 80s, and this is what our children and grandchildren are facing as they become young workers, but that is just another source of amusement to Bob Johnson.

God spare me the Heart to fight them... I'll fight the Pirates forever. -Mother Jones

by JayRaye on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 07:02:04 PM PDT

•  What is your problem? (0+ / 0-)

by Bob Johnson on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 09:43:46 PM PDT

•  I'm in a union and have been most of my adult life (1+ / 0-)
          Nada Lemming

Are you?

I have organized and supported my fellow union members through extended strikes.

Have you?

I thought Jimmy Carter sucked, and, as I wrote in bobswern's diary today, marked the beginning of the end of the Democratic Party being the party of the working (wo)man. Carter paved the way for all Bill Clinton's bullshit.

Another Clinton in the White House will just be the last shovel of dirt on the Democratic Party coffin. Bill Clinton all but killed it.

by Bob Johnson on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 09:47:42 PM PDT

•  Like I said you don't bother yourself much with (5+ / 0-)

what people actually say.

Had you bothered to read my comment, you would know the answer to the question which you are asking.

by JayRaye on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 09:56:25 PM PDT

•  I read it. (0+ / 0-)

You used to be in a union. I'm still in a union. I have been in a union for more than 35 years. Unions are not what they were for a host of reasons. Reagan was the firestarter, but Carter opened the door for him. And Clinton was worse than worthless.

It's been all downhill from there for working people.

by Bob Johnson on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 10:01:29 PM PDT

•  There you go talking to yourself and (5+ / 0-)

about yourself and your accomplishments.

Demanding answers from me, and not one single thoughtful reply to Tools diary.

Typical.

by JayRaye on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 10:25:25 PM PDT

•  Heh. (0+ / 0-)

Oh, gee, I feel so bad when I make you unhappy.

I told Tool to start a new blog called Millennial Kos because this place is mostly old white guys -- kind of like the audience for Fox News.

I bet kos would even fund it.

by Bob Johnson on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 10:27:44 PM PDT

•  The issue that Tool and other millennials face (13+ / 0-)

is having no future at all.  Nothing has hung over the heads of an entire generation like the specter of climate change does for them.  We all owe them a viable future.

"I don't want to run the empire, I want to bring it down!" ~ Dr. Cornel West "It was a really naked declaration of imperialism." ~ Jeremy Scahill on Obama's speech to the UN

by gulfgal98 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 07:19:59 PM PDT

•  Notice how much we seem to love (9+ / 0-)

dystopia movies?:) If I ever have kids I want them to have a viable future as well. We owe it to everyone. It's hard not to see the extreme weather and not know something is seriously wrong when we are jumping back and forth between the teens and mid fifties.

by Tool on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 08:01:54 PM PDT

•  Tool, as a 60-something female DFH (10+ / 0-)

i am in the same boat with you.

Pragmatic is just another word for entrenched in the system.
            We tried our best back then, with huge peace marches against the continuation of the Vietnam war and fearless underground newspapers that raged against the machine.
            It felt like progress at the time but, as we see now, our actions resulted in just a tiny step forward while the men behind the curtain were grinding out new avenues to suppress and hoodwink all of us.

Little did we know that the machine was a tiny tinker toy compared to the beast it has become.

I had step sons, now in their mid-thirties, that are also mired in tuition debt, altho not as steep a debt as people trying to get an education in the last 10 years.

I do not have an answer for you or anyone else.
            Trying and trying, for almost 50 years, has resulted in the quagmire nightmare we struggle with now.

I do not wish your future, or lack thereof, on any young person.
            We need a radical paradigm shift in our culture and i do not have a clue how to achieve that goal.

'How like fish we are: ready, nay, eager, to seize upon whatever new thing.......And how we rue our haste, finding the gilded morsel to contain a hook". ALDO LEOPOLD - A Sand County Almanac

by flowerfarmer on Sun Mar 16, 2014 at 06:08:36 AM PDT

•  Well, no shit. (0+ / 0-)

But there were plenty of problems, too, including (another) never-ending war, assassinations, riots and more.

by Bob Johnson on Sat Mar 15, 2014 at 09:43:33 PM PDT