View Diary: Noah brings the rain (201 comments)

•  Let me get this. (2+ / 0-)
    rduran, ZedMont

God is angry at all of humanity for not obeying his edicts, which he hasn't handed down written in stone yet. So, he takes a temper tantrum and wipes out all of humanity, including innocent babies. He also wipes out all the animals. The exception to this being Noah's nuclear family, and pairs of animals Noah and company can round up.

That's a pretty small gene pool to get things going again. And Noah somehow got to Europe, East Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, Australia, and the Americas so he could round up pairs of Kangaroo, Siberian Tigers, American Buffalo, Spitting Cobras, Koalas, Llamas, and the like.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Sun Mar 23, 2014 at 09:22:16 PM PDT

•  I think people get too nuts on both (2+ / 0-)
      rduran, RhodeIslandAspie

sides about the Bible. Christians think some divine being wrote or inspired every word and every event took place exactly as written (even if the translation from Greek and Aramaic is no where near some of what the English translations depicts). Then the Atheists think every word and event is total bs. Like it's the most important thing in the word to prove that some 2000 to 10000 year old event(s) have any relevance to what life is about today. Personally, the Bible is a good book to read if you want to know history of a certain ethnic community, their belief system, their culture and their superstitions. There are great philosophical and moral writings such as Job and Ecclesiastes, beautiful odes of tribute like the Psalms and Song of Solomon, violence, sex and contradictions up the yin yang. I always thought after reading some of the stories that Timothy Leary was not the pioneer who experimented with LSD. Some of the writers of the Bible had to be tripping to come up with a lot of it.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others....Groucho Marx

by tazz on Sun Mar 23, 2014 at 09:54:42 PM PDT

•  It's not even a "book" other than in its physical (1+ / 0-)
        RhodeIslandAspie

manifestation.  It's a collection of works written by often unknown authors over thousands of years and compiled at the order of a sun worshipper for purely political purposes.  Constantine was a fourth century astroturfer a la Dick Armey.

Ted Cruz president? Pardon my Vietnamese, but Ngo Pho King Way.

by ZedMont on Sun Mar 23, 2014 at 10:47:58 PM PDT

•  Constantine was more like a ... (1+ / 0-)
          ZedMont

not particularly religious conservative who gets religion so he can get the religious right votes. He never converted to Christianity himself, but knew nobody much believed in the old gods anymore, and needed something else to be the underpinning of Roman society.

He wanted and was able to order by decree, that the Roman Empire would be a Christian State, but didn't believe in Christianity himself.  Sounds like the mindset of many Republicans.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Mon Mar 24, 2014 at 07:47:54 AM PDT

•  I hope it doesn't sound like I'm running (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

down people of faith. I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic, and not at all militant about it. I have no problem with people having religious faith. I just cringe when they shut off their minds in the process, as sometimes happen. And so can atheists and agnostics. But I do have problems with anyone who takes a literalism approach to any scriptures.

Few Jews believe that the flood story as any sort of literal truth, or the description of God wiping out innocent people as an accurate description of God. But yet, a sizable number of Christians think that is flood/Noah story is literal truth.

I well realize that the majority of Christians in the world don't take a literal interpretation of this, but because of the way the Evangelicals have claimed the ownership of the Christian brand, I can understand why many people who have never been exposed to mainstream Christianity think Christians believe this.

I went to Catholic schools and I was taught that these types of stories form the Bible weren't meant to be taken as scientific or historical truth, but were meant to teach religious truths.

But I shudder at the thought there are people in this modern age will go and watch this film and think it is a historically accurate film.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Mon Mar 24, 2014 at 07:44:50 AM PDT

•  I heard it was a really good movie (1+ / 0-)
          RhodeIslandAspie

Extremely entertaining. I will go see it because I like to be entertained. If it is as good as Star Wars or Mel Brooks History of the World, then I'll be happy. I couldn't care less if it ever happened. Which is what I would have expected how everyone who ever watched a movie would deal with it, it's entertainment. If I want a religious lesson I'd watch old reruns of Bugs Bunny.

by tazz on Mon Mar 24, 2014 at 10:20:26 AM PDT

•  Wormholes and frozen embryos, I tell ya! (1+ / 0-)
      ZedMont

Still not sure why God subcontracted the damned boat to a Neolithic drunk, though.