View Diary: Reid accuses CIA of intimidation, orders review of spying charges (89 comments)

•  Obama is not really the boss (12+ / 0-)

I mean, on paper he is, but de facto, no. I think that's become pretty clear recently.

Brennan has spent over a quarter century with the Company. They protect their own, and modern presidents (post JFK) don't dare tangle with the Agency...

"In America, the law is king." --Thomas Paine

by limpidglass on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 10:10:07 AM PDT

•  I suspect the agency (1+ / 0-)
      alwaysquestion

put some pressure on Eisenhower, too. Especially with the Gary Powers event.

"Labor was the first price, the original purchase - money that was paid for all things" -- Adam Smith

by HugoDog on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 10:24:05 AM PDT

•  I don't buy that for one minute. MacArthur was (15+ / 0-)

an enormously popular figure and powerful military symbol.

Harry Truman canned his ass very loudly, publicly, and thoroughly.

Any president could do the same to anyone who reports to him.
      He only needs the will to do so.

He quickly fires those who are criticized by the right, without even bothering to see if the complaints have merit. But when real misconduct is present, criticized by member of his own party, he does nothing.  That is a very revealing pattern.

by YucatanMan on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 11:01:00 AM PDT

•  Better link and info: (10+ / 0-)
        In April 1951,President Truman fired MacArthurand replaced him with Gen. Matthew Ridgeway. On April 11, Truman addressed the nation and explained his actions.

He began by defending his overall policy in Korea, declaring, "It is right for us to be in Korea." He excoriated the "communists in the Kremlin [who] are engaged in a monstrous conspiracy to stamp out freedom all over the world." Nevertheless, he explained, it "would be wrong—tragically wrong—for us to take the initiative in extending the war... Our aim is to avoid the spread of the conflict."

The president continued, "I believe that we must try to limit the war to Korea for these vital reasons: To make sure that the precious lives of our fighting men are not wasted; to see that the security of our country and the free world is not needlessly jeopardized; and to prevent a third world war."

General MacArthur had been fired "so that there would be no doubt or confusion as to the real purpose and aim of our policy."

MacArthur returned to the United States to a hero's welcome. Parades were held in his honor, and he was asked to speak before Congress (where he gave his famous "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away" speech).

Public opinion was strongly against Truman's actions, but the president stuck to his decision without regret or apology. Eventually, MacArthur did "just fade away," and the American people began to understand that his policies and recommendations might have led to a massively expanded war in Asia.

What Obama does by maintaining this liars in position is to leave no doubt or confusion as to the real purpose and aim of his intelligence goals.

by YucatanMan on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 11:05:55 AM PDT

•  That was then. The Dulles boys hadn't (6+ / 0-)

taken over yet.  They were busy defending the Bush/Walker family whose assets were seized by FDR for doing business with the Nazis.

JFK fired Allen Dulles.

He then had a very bad day in Dallas.

Allen Dulles was appointed to the Warren Commission to make sure we got to the bottom of things . . . .

Fiat justitia ruat caelum "Let justice be done though the heavens fall."

by bobdevo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 12:59:22 PM PDT

•  MacArthur wasn't CIA, he was military (0+ / 0-)

Harry Truman was one of a kind, they don't make them like him very often.  He was also very pre-Kennedy.

Shirley Chisholm was right. Our Republic is in deep trouble.

by Big River Bandido on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 04:57:28 PM PDT

•  Careful, limpidglass . . . . (5+ / 0-)

I actually got a warning from some suckass admin at Kos last week for saying basically the same thing.  Don't you know IT'S A CONSPIRACY THEORY to be aware of who killed JFK.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum "Let justice be done though the heavens fall."

by bobdevo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 12:57:12 PM PDT

•  We're all supposed to believe it was (6+ / 0-)

a lone gunman. Whatever.

I don't claim to know it was CIA, but the magic bullet theory always looked fairly improbable to me (sorry, Sen. Specter.)

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 02:19:42 PM PDT

•  It was NASA, obviously (0+ / 0-)

If you want to know the truth, follow the money and look at who benefitted.

To believe that markets determine value is to believe that milk comes from plastic bottles. Bromley (1985)

by sneakers563 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 02:25:11 PM PDT

•  ROTFL! (2+ / 0-)
            sneakers563, bobdevo

Jokes aside, I don't think it's particularly fair to frame everybody who finds this hard to believe in the same category with people who hang out at Roswell looking at the sky and the guy in the Giant parking lot who assured me solemnly yesterday that the government was manipulating the weather.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 02:59:01 PM PDT

•  As an aside, I drive past 2-3 signs on my way (1+ / 0-)
              SouthernLiberalinMD

to work warning people "Look Up! What are they spraying us with?" There's some youtube videos by the guy - you can find them by searching for "Geoengineering Tucson". In one of the videos he rants that it had been cloudy for 2 or 3 days prior to the President's visit in the wake of the Giffords shooting, but it "mysteriously" cleared up on the day the President arrived.

by sneakers563 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 03:35:14 PM PDT

•  Especially not that it's pretty much been (1+ / 0-)
              SouthernLiberalinMD

demonstrated that Oswald was a CIA asset.  So, unless someone wants to argue Oswald had nothing to do with JFK, then the CIA is involved.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum "Let justice be done though the heavens fall."

by bobdevo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 03:49:00 PM PDT

•  The Church Committee conclusion in 1978 (1+ / 0-)
          SouthernLiberalinMD

was that there was a likely conspiracy.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum "Let justice be done though the heavens fall."

by bobdevo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 03:43:49 PM PDT

•  Then how come we always hear about Warren? (1+ / 0-)
            bobdevo

I never knew the Church Committee found that.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 05:00:33 PM PDT

•  As far as I know (1+ / 0-)
        bobdevo

That theory has already been out there for ages and never disproved. If you want to sugar coat things it won't help the country.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Thu Mar 20, 2014 at 02:43:41 PM PDT

• Recommended (136)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Law (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (18)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Rescued (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Memorial Day (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site