View Diary: Sunday Talk: Can't get fooled again (170 comments)

•  Hah! You didn't see this coming! (7+ / 0-)

Once when I had to explain to the congregation that we were getting a new pastor--and they got restive. I reminded them that it was the Bishop's decision--and some of them looked shocked and said: We have a Bishop?! Yep.  We're. . . Methodists.

Remember: no telling. Obviously a lot of my brethren and sistern don't know!!

"Why you sockdologizing ol' mantrap, you!"

by ejoanna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 10:49:50 PM PDT

•  My stepmom's uncle was a Methodist (4+ / 0-)
      ejoanna, Trix, wishingwell, Lefty Coaster

Bishop. He was defrocked for being gay.

Methodists do have Bishops. You're our cousins in Anglicanism.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 10:59:53 PM PDT

•  Sorry about the defrocking. A lot of us (3+ / 0-)

Methodists are hopping mad about the lag in the General Conference of the Church's attitude toward our LGBT sisters and brothers.  However, progress, progress, progress.  NY area Bishop just said, basically, that he's not going to pursue any kind of sanctions for pastors who are gay or who perform same-sex marriages.  Anyway, I'm not leaving the church I grew up in.  Many of us are fighting from within--and, as John Wesley said: "going on to perfection." Slow journey, but worth every small step.

Sorry if this is TMI.

"Why you sockdologizing ol' mantrap, you!"

by ejoanna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 11:11:21 PM PDT

•  Not at all. We Episcopalians had a hard journey (2+ / 0-)
          ejoanna, wishingwell

too. Over women clergy, and LGBT clergy. The Right Reverend V. Gene Robinson is actually an acquaintance of mine, and I was at his ordination as Bishop in New Hampshire.

Methodists will come around. Episcopalians have, as have Lutherans.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 11:23:48 PM PDT

•  G'night and thanks for an exchange blessedly (1+ / 0-)
            commonmass

free of snark about why anyone would (still) want to be a Christian.

"Why you sockdologizing ol' mantrap, you!"

by ejoanna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 11:31:25 PM PDT

•  Goodnight. I am unabashedly Christian (1+ / 0-)
              wishingwell

and intend to remain so. I am a lay brother of the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament (an Anglican order) and recently celebrated my 30th year as a sacred musician.

I'm not going anywhere!

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 11:33:59 PM PDT