View Diary: Scientist: marijuana schedule 1 classification hurting cancer research (36 comments)

•  We need to legalize it ALL for adults. Whichever (8+ / 0-)

way you use it, as a medicine or just a smoke, if this country can keep cigarettes legal, wacky-tobaccky should be too.
    What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet
    ;

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 03:08:14 PM PDT

•  Agreed, but we shouldn't use slang terms in our (4+ / 0-)

legal system when we are talking about drugs. The word marijuana shouldn't be allowed in our debate over the medicinal value of cannabinoids. Marijuana is not the same thing as THC or CBD and marijuana is not an actual herbal plant. Again, marijuana is only a slang term which means different things to different people.

Our laws need to be more precise upon what they are really about. It's just as unacceptable to use the slang term "marijuana/marihuana" in the Controlled Substances Act as it would to use "reefer","weed" or "pot". If the government truly believes that cannabinoids like THC are dangerous and addictive drugs that have no medical benefit we should be able to have that debate instead of being redirected to ridiculous claims about a completely irrelevant slang term.

If we were having a real debate on the medicinal value of herbal cannabinoids I would simply ask; Why was Marinol approved for medical use by the FDA? Marinol contains synthetic THC which has been already rescheduled to Schedule III. Why wasn't Sativex approved at the same time? The FDA actually did approve both at the same time but the DEA blocked Sativex. Why is that?

Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT. I may make you feel but I can't make you think..Jethro Tull

by RMForbes on Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 03:55:58 PM PDT

•  You really are confusing me RMForbes (4+ / 0-)

I agree it's called cannabis, but you sound like your  saying not to confuse cannabis with cannabinoids....huh?
          Anyone can extract the cannabinoids, very easily, from the strains of cannabis that are helpful for their specific needs. Have you heard about the strain called ''charlottes web'' Its was developed for children with epilepsy, its mostly CBD and its giving these children their lives back.
          I have chronic pain that I target with indica based strains with just enough sativa blended in to keep me alert and running around. Straight indica for a good nights sleep (Nevilles Haze is perfect for that:).  Pure sativa aggravates my pain, but works very well for someone with ptsd or depression. There are specific strains to make the cancer killing oil. I make my oil to target pain and you have to know that's so much better for me than opiates! Cannabis comes in many different forms depending on the combination of cannabinoids, which can be combined anyway you like though breeding.
           I never sampled either marinol or sativex, the only value those synthetics  have would be to have a drs. note excusing you from your UA results.  lol

peace

•  My problem is in using the word marijuana (1+ / 0-)
          oldpotsmuggler

or any other slang term when we are talking about the medicinal benefits of cannabiniods or when we are talking about cannabis plants. Marijuana is not the same thing as THC, CBD and CBN, it is also not the same thing as herbal cannabis or the cannabis hemp plant. I believe that if we all would stop letting the prohibitionist frame the debate with their loaded language we would be able to win the debate very easily. But if we continue to let the prohibitionist frame the argument we will continue to lose.

My family produces a concentrated cannabinoid oil which has led to the total remission of at least one case of terminal stage IV cancer. I have to admit that the fact that this cancer patient completely changed his lifestyle and diet as well. He became a vegan at the same time as he began using the concentrated cannabinoid oils. His tumors began to shrink in just six weeks of this treatment and now more than two years later his cancer has gone into complete remission. Not bad considering when his oncologist recommended he go to my brother he told him he had only a few weeks to live.

Sativex is not a synthetic cannabinoid product like Marinol. Sativex is a pharmaceutical grade tincture of organic cannabinoid oils. That's the reason that the DEA blocked it's sale in US markets. The DEA had to protect their budget and if they let the FDA allow Sativex to be sold domestically they would need to reschedule organic THC to Schedule III along with synthetic THC and that would be a disaster for their prohibition against the cannabis plant. Do you see why the DEA wants to shift the debate to marijuana and away from the medicinal value of cannabinoids now? It's all about their money and power.

by RMForbes on Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 06:54:59 PM PDT

•  I was wondering the other day how the schedules (3+ / 0-)
        RMForbes, Calamity Jean, Woody

could be different and we could already be using Sativex, etc.

I think it's important not to let the chemical companies own the whole concept. First, because I have talked with people who prefer pot to marinol. And second, I think any adult who wants to "smoke a joint" should be able to do so by law too. I answered you because I don't want to see it narrowed down, even though I completely understand the distinctions you are making.

I found it very interesting that in 2008, when I ran for State Rep here, I actually lost support from "medical marijuana" people when I insisted that I would vote for all use, and would not be satisfied with a medical allowance.
           I was also dismayed to find out that the people from biggest 'freedom' group that was promoting legalization did not understand my question when I asked them what was being done at the state level to see about changing the schedule. D'oh. Hopefully this is all changing.

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 06:21:53 PM PDT

•  Agreed, but I personally believe that cannabis (2+ / 0-)
          nuclear winter solstice, Woody

will decentralize our economy in many ways. I don't think any one company or group of companies will be able to monopolize the cannabis market. It would be just plain impossible to do. You just can't grow herbal cannabis like industrial hemp and hemp will create hundreds of local small factories and cottage style industries right alongside the hemp in the fields. No matter how you look at it a cannabis economy would be far more decentralized than our current economy.

Unfortunately I too have met a few medicinal cannabis producers that see recreational use as a threat to their business which I believe is incredibly shortsighted. I personally would welcome the new customers to our business and need to expand our operation significantly. I would think current herbal cannabis producers would see it our way.

by RMForbes on Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 07:24:55 PM PDT

•  I do see. I've been seein' it that way ever since (2+ / 0-)
            Woody, RMForbes

I heard about Henry Ford's Hemp car. Too many groups all want to lock out this plant. And I am glad you are keeping it all separated. I just don't want smaller arguments to confuse the issue for people who don't want to sort that part out.

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 04:19:47 AM PDT