View Diary: Moyers: On Dark Money and "Who's Buying our Midterm Elections?" (37 comments)

•  The dark money is coming from (17+ / 0-)

the "dark state" or, in another words "the realgovernment."

"So listen, oh, Don't wait." Vampire Weekend.

by Publius2008 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 09:40:25 AM PDT

•  Do you mean the (10+ / 0-)

"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?" ~Orwell, "1984"

by Lily O Lady on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 09:55:32 AM PDT

•  The deep state's really not all that "deep" n/t (12+ / 0-)

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 09:59:42 AM PDT

•  In what sense? nt (2+ / 0-)
          Shockwave, elwior

by Lily O Lady on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 10:03:05 AM PDT

•  It's pretty common knowledge that... (29+ / 0-)

...Wall Street, the Military-Industrial-Surveillance State, Big Pharma/Health Care, Big Energy and Big Ag/Big Box Retail call the shots in our society, today. There is pushback on this now, and that's a good thing. But, five corporate gangs run this country (the MSM is really little more than a minion of the other corporations, but some like to refer to it as a corporate gang, too), as MANY academics have noted these inconvenient truths in recent years.

by bobswern on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 10:07:56 AM PDT

•  the way to fight is imo to refuse consumption (9+ / 0-)

where and whenever you can. It's almost impossible to do anymore, but one can still find corners where one could refuse to be part of the problem by denying to consume their products. How do you think one can fight against it?

•  Through truly effective political activism... (13+ / 0-)

...but, most of the "truly effective" political activists have been co-opted by the status quo. (That's a story for another time.) Hopefully, that's changing as you read this.

by bobswern on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 10:25:39 AM PDT

•  It is NOT impossible at all Mimi... (6+ / 0-)
                elwior, katrinka, ehavenot, gerrilea, bobswern, mimi

You can stop buying their technology gadgets:  smart phones, hanging "stuff" in the cloud,  you can use an old computer and read the crap they send you when you get home, you can THROW out the games and spend your time in the great outdoors running, walking, hiking, skiing, biking.

If that isn't enough, you can stop buying JUNK food in boxes, cans or jars. You can grow your own food, brew your own beer, ferment your own wine, brew kefir and kombucha for health and probiotics to heal your gut that may be causing you an untold number of health issues.

You can purchase Earth Boxes and grow veggies on your porch or balcony or rooftop. You can plant trees in your yard, you can plant fruit bearing trees, bushes and  share with your neighbors. You can feed yourself easily anywhere in this country if you have the will to do it.

But,  have to quit walking and texting. You have to stick with the old phone for 3-4 years.  It will work if you want it to.  Anyway, you won't need to walk and text because your hands will be full of dirt and stuff from doing something about consumerism!!

What else can you do?

You can raise chickens and goats in your yard in many places, become a beekeeper and learn the art, you can use google and find local CSAs for the stuff you can't grow,  you can drink raw milk, ferment your own yogurt, ferment healthy drinks like beet kavass, you can go meet local farmers/ranchers and buy a whole or half of a grass fed cow or non-GMO fed pork.  For extra fun and a challenge to yourself, you can STOP buying all the junk food that they sell at Whole Foods, and you can quit Starbucks and drink something good for you! That will put a lot of money in your pocket that you didn't know you had because it's been so long since you paid attention to what you're doing.

Seriously, people walking down the street texting are oblivious to everything going on around them. They have to be or they'll fall on the cement and break their butts.  I say hi to them when I'm walking my dogs.  They are either rude or so focused on their texting that they don't even see me.

Further, if you really take time to take care of your own health, you won't have to contribute to BIG PHARMA's bottom line, and you won't have to fight them with political "petitions" to stop the insane protection laws that Democrats helped pass so they can make MORE money with pills that do not promote health.

You can begin to look at homeopathy or other alternative healing modalities if you're sick.  Why would you go to a doctor when you know that you're supporting BIG PHARMA for health problems that you and a classical homeopath can actually cure vs. suppress with pills that your tax dollars are being used as giveaways so people have pills and BIG PHARMA has profits?

If 25,000 people in neighborhoods around the country woke up to their own power then we could stop them cold in their tracks.  We don't have to vote them out, sign petitions, show up on the streets, blog or do anything except take care of ourselves and our families!  It's easy Mimi.

I'm doing it.  I've been doing it for years.  No TV, no CABLE --- what?  Yes, you can live life and be healthy and happy without giving them the opportunity to brainwash you with consumerism.  Can you believe I don't have a smart phone by choice?

We are the creators of our own destiny, and look what politics got us.  Take a good hard look at what we allowed to happen because we thought our politicians were there as representatives of We the People.  Hell no... they are there to pass bills on behalf of the MIC, the banks, the tech companies, and the 1% who own the world. And most importantly, they are there to represent their own interests.  If we get rid of every Democrat in both the House and Senate and replaced them with progressives, we'd still have the problem unless we could replace them with little clones of Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders! I can't think of anyone else I would vote for ever!

People are not really serious about their chatter, observations and complaints about the distribution of the wealth in this country.  I hope it won't be too late by the time that the climate change and the quiet, peaceful revolution starts to really destroy the planet even more than we've experienced since Katrina. But who's going to participate?  Everybody's too busy driving their shiny cars, talking on their latest version of the iPhone,  hanging out instead of "getting in" to what it will really take to change this sick country.  Rest assured, at this point it's almost too late unless we wake up and decide to change ourselves!

I hope I've mentioned a few things you could do if you wanted to.  Smiles! Cheers!  I have to go tend to my fermenting jars!!!

•  you did mention quite some good things :) (0+ / 0-)

and most of them I implement already. But it is NOT as easy as you said, if you are realistic, the things you talk about are not enough.

If people would be able to disconnect from power grids and really were able to produce their own electricity and could produce their own ways of heating their houses without being dependent on huge utility companies and if they were able to produce their own food independent of the big corporate agricultural industry and if people would be able to educate the next generation independent of the profit oriented educational industry... then ... may be ... I could believe in your painted image of a sustainable, independent, free way of survival for all....

But I want more ...

I want to work on movements who fight for democratic electoral procedures that would make voting in and out people that actually represent the interests of those, who vote for them (instead of betraying them), and not those of their corporate employers.

People are not free, they depend on their jobs and their employers make sure that the political representation of their working employees will never get stronger than the representation of their own corporate (employer's)  interests.

The fact that your vote doesn't change much in the way the interests of the voting people DO NOT get represented, but always end up sustaining the interests of the 1%,  is a deficiency in the constitutional framework under which you live.

That is embedded in your constitution and a legal issue. And I think it should change.

Unfortunately I am not a lawyer. I wished I were. But what not is can yet become... at least I see a need for change in the way the legislature is influenced by corporate money and in the way the legislature is elected.

•  They don't really care how you spend your money. (8+ / 0-)

You don't have enough of it to impress them much.

•  I meant more than just the way (0+ / 0-)

we spend our money. I meant to work on solutions to replace some corporate huge industries with some decentralized small-sized technologies that would be easier controllable by local citizens, who would consume their products and services.

Why am I dependent for my electrical needs from corporations which might operate even not in the US, but somewhere in "Timbuktu" is beyond reason.

•  As jaron lanier has pointed out, they have the (7+ / 0-)

biggest computers in the world, participating as government partners. From a Constitutional standpoint this goes back to the protection of advertising as first amendment speech, as opposed to business cost, accomplished by Lewis Powell, most importantly crashing the republic in Buckley in 1976. But the fact that the S. Ct. calls the shots goes back to Marbury which Jefferson said produces judicial supremacy, eventually in Dred Scott crashing the Union. That the Supreme Court can toy with political questions like funding limits, as if it has the jurisdiction to do so, is a separation of powers issue that the progressives addressed in 1912 and failed to solve. It was up to FDR to duke it out ad hoc with the Four Horsemen. But targeted legislation stripping the Court of usurped jurisdiction over anticorruption legislation would help to resolve the money=free speech scam.

•  You mean, well known. I think that deep also (6+ / 0-)

implies that that are deeply entrenched in our government. It's going to take a lot of digging to uproot these powerful forces. Forgive the gardening metaphors. It's Spring!

by Lily O Lady on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 11:44:51 AM PDT

•  Reminds me of this view from down under (1+ / 0-)
              bobswern
    •  If people turned off their TV (12+ / 0-)

then this wouldn't be so important.

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann von Goethe

by gjohnsit on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 10:34:31 AM PDT

•  The "Money" is coming from (1+ / 0-)
      Don midwest

"The Dark Side of the Moon."

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 05:09:57 PM PDT

•  Actually (1+ / 0-)
      Don midwest

isn't the dark money going TO the 'dark state?'

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Mar 22, 2014 at 05:10:46 PM PDT