View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Tuesday (154 comments)

•  I have limited (20+ / 0-)

contact with my 2 sisters. One is a religious Uber-Catholic, severely Conservative Martha Stewart-type 'homemaker' convinced I'm headed straight to Hell, the other is a chem-trail believing, Agenda 21-fighting nutcase who actually said the words "Kenyan usurper" to me, so...we don't hang out much. Or ever if it's up to me.

The better I know people, the more I like my dog.

by Thinking Fella on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 06:30:33 AM PDT

•  Neither of my siblings share my (13+ / 0-)

political, religious, or social points of view; but they're not crazy either.  We don't talk about things on which we disagree; but we pretty well know where we stand and that nobody is going to change anybody's mind.  We've always gotten along great and enjoy each other's company.  I'm lucky in that regard.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

by rb608 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 06:35:29 AM PDT

•  All of us agree on things political -- (3+ / 0-)
        rb608, foresterbob, diggerspop

my three original siblings and my two steps as well.  There's a conservative brother-in-law, and we stopped talking about politics with each other a long time ago.

And we genuinely like each other.

We're lucky, and we acknowledge that all the time.

Remember. Bring them home. ● And he reminds me that we are playing a long game here … and that change is hard, and change is slow, and it never happens all at once -- Michelle Obama.

by edsbrooklyn on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 09:23:46 AM PDT

•  My siblings (12+ / 0-)

My (4 yrs older) sisiter is a Reagan republican. We don't talk about politics. She is also a christian - she thinks that morals come from christianity and, if you don't believe in Jesus, you have nothing to guide you in being a good person. We don't usually discuss these things either. But she can be fun to be with, and we love each other.

I have no clue what politics or religion my (6 yrs older) brother has and it doesn't seem to matter. We've somewhat recently gotten closer, as he went through a rough period when it seems I was the only family member (including his own children) who was being supportive of him, but still had no conversations about that stuff.

I actually have no real idea of my (deceased) parents political stance, either. The only thing I remember is that once, playing with a friend, we decided to march our trolls in support of a Presidential candidate and I wanted to do it for Nixon, because I knew that's who my parents were going to vote for. So...

When lots of people show up to vote, Democrats tend to win.

by Audri on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 06:53:57 AM PDT

•  My older sisters share my political views (9+ / 0-)

...more or less; the oldest used to be a conservative Republican, but she grew out of it.  I have never discussed politics with my (much, much) younger half-siblings, but since their parents are strong liberals, I hope their views are not too dissimilar.

•  My sister married a conservative businessman, (12+ / 0-)

a craftsman, really, whose work is world-renowned in certain circles. She was a staunch Republican by his side until...
      Well, she used to ask me not to discuss politics at our reunions as it upset her husband, though he didn't show it. So I tried. I really did. Until someone else would purposely engage me, ask for my thoughts. Usually, it was my sister's husband.
      Then, his mother thanked me for speaking out. Her ex was also a conservative and, though a preacher, she didn't have the courage to speak out in her own family until I came along and opened that door rather robustly.
      Sis loves and respects her Mom-in-Law, who eventually took to call out b.s. when her son would spout Fox talking points.
      So, we do talk politics. My b-i-l and I came to an agreement to be kind to each other by being uber-polite in our discussions- to attacking ideas rather than the people that hold them. Seems to work so far.
      My sis flipped to being a democrat and leans Liberal now, mostly due to mom-in-law and I pointing out the very real war on women and how the Right helps the poor stay poor.
      My uncle, a manager of a print shop, used to say, "What's good for business is good for America." We had a long discussion about that. I am his namesake and he is one of the most loving of my family, and we're a very loving family. After he retired, he changed his tune. He now knows who the Koch Brothers are and is angry at what they've been able to accomplish.

The pendulum swings in the arc of my family. And it swings leftward.
      Older bro is a-political. Doesn't want to be bothered, though he does agree that his home state of NC is pretty f'd-up.
      Younger brother is a pastor in the Congregational Church in which we were raised. He is very progressive. We once had an hour-long conversation about how "Hate the sin, love the sinner" wasn't enough. He was torn about marriage equality. My brother is 7 years my junior and has always looked up to me. We share one soul. I often don't have to finish sentences with him.
      He wound up advocating successfully for a statement from the regional council of the church saying that their doors were open to people of all gender identities to not only be accepted, but embraced.
      I don't know if he's performed a same sex marriage yet or not, but he would. Out of the congregation that grew under his guidance to 400 (rural community), they lost a dozen to 15 members from that announcement, at which my brother expressed his regrets for losing them, but suggested it was a matter of growing pains and some just weren't ready to grow.

My Dad is a lifelong Republican who hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since Eisenhower, and my Mom is a lifelong Democrat who no longer votes due to Alzheimer's. They used to joke that they were going to the polls to cancel each other out. Dad cannot stand the current GOP. He gets blistering mad, which isn't good for his health, so I do not bring up politics when he is around. He hated GWB. Passionately.
      No one ever belittles Liberals in my presence. No one who knows me. They know what I'll do. The contrast I present, and passionately, is accurate and blunt. Then I tell them I love them.
      But Jesus really was a Liberal. And Christians really are supposed to see to the sick, impoverished, hungry and oppressed.

The warning about me is, "Whatever you do, don't push that button."

"Non-violence is a powerful and just weapon which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Gentle Giant on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 07:47:19 AM PDT

•  Sad, so sad. n/t (1+ / 0-)
      rb608