View Diary: You go right ahead, GOP, and scorn every woman in America. Good luck with that (235 comments)

•  diary makes some good points...but (5+ / 0-)

do you need to include the sexist phrase of "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"? To be clear, i am not calling you a sexist, but this phrase is sexist, and i am assuming that you are just not aware of that.

This is a sexist phrase that somehow women can't exercise restraint and will release our fury when angry because we are ultra-sensitive, so watch out everyone! It relays that women can not control our emotions, more likely to make impulsive decisions or actions based on emotion, and less likely or capable of rational or reasoned thought than men.

IT also means that our anger is not valid. so use of the phrase is counter to the point of your diary.

An incident during the Carter administration provides some context. President Carter's consumer advisor criticized the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for opposing a bill to create a consumer protection agency. She stated that big business had used distortions, scare tactics and lies to oppose creation of the agency.

The Chamber President, a man, responded to her criticism by using this phrase against the woman.

Feminists responded. 19 government officials, 17 of them women, sent the chamber president a letter taking exception to his use of this sexist phrase.

The chamber president responded with a nopology, more sexism and paternalism of how he knew better than women what issues were important to us. "I apologize if any women were offended."  He then added that "there are too many things to be done in the women's movement than to worry about rewriting Shakespeare or the Bible or anything else that has sexist connotations."

•  I have no trouble with that phraseology (7+ / 0-)

It happens to be true in my case.

I still can't believe these cultists act surprised when women go all hell-scorned on their dumb asses.

"It were a thousand times better for the land if all Witches, but especially the blessing Witch, might suffer death." qtd by Ehrenreich & English. For Her Own Good, Two Centuries of Expert's Advice to Women pp 40

by GreenMother on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 02:39:14 PM PDT

•  Hel is a Goddess... (11+ / 0-)

Hel rules the Underworld which is named Hel in her honor.

I, also, have no issue with 'Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.'  Never mess with a mother of any species if she is protecting her young..., and enraging a grandmother is potentially even worse since she is hell-bent on protecting her progeny AND their progeny.  They are her genetic link to the future via mtDNA she passed on to each of them, especially if the child(ren) and grandchild(ren) are female.  When a woman is crone-old, she's closer to the ending of her own life-cycle and has nothing to lose at that point because she can no longer pass on any more mtDNA so she will fight to the death if need be so her genetic legacy can live on.

Old myths have deeper meanings than most people realize.

by NonnyO on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 03:54:41 PM PDT

•  To me, the context matters so much more than (1+ / 0-)
      Caniac41

a single phrase.  I just think that objecting to this one phrase in the context of this entire diary is focusing on policing language while missing the point.

Speak softly and carry a big can of tuna.

by Cat Whisperer on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 06:46:29 PM PDT

•  She hasn't missed the point. (2+ / 0-)

And I don't think she's talking about policing language here. The (very well taken and fundamentally understood) point of the diary is promoted -- ironically -- by a phrase that's profoundly demeaning to women. I think it's absolutely not MoT's intent to demean anyone, and that's understood, too.

The literary reference means that women's ideas are unimportant at best (like -- "another country heard from" if you're familiar with that phrase) and ludicrously viscous and catty at worst. It's not an image that's positive or empowering to women.

Anyway, it is about context -- or contradicting the context. It's about granting validity to ideas that reinforce the power gradient between men and women -- which is diametrically opposite the important point the diarist is making.

I am a woman -- an am mostly not bothered by politically incorrect language -- but this reference bothered me, too. It doesn't make me feel like I'm looking forward to equal pay or equal opportunity any time soon. For me, it isn't a matter of being the word police. It feels like I've been backhanded.

"Broccoli could take down a government. Broccoli is revolutionary." --Kris Carr

by rb137 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 07:31:23 PM PDT

•  Well, I appreciate the thoughtful reply but I just (1+ / 0-)
          rb137

do not agree.  If you are "mostly not bothered by politically incorrect language," then it is hard for me to understand how this one statement in a great diary defending my rights as a woman should even be soomething we should point to and call the writer to task for writing it.  It just seems nit-picking and missing the point.

Speak softly and carry a big can of tuna.

by Cat Whisperer on Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 02:54:26 PM PDT

•  Read the poem where the quote originated. (0+ / 0-)

And it's okay if you don't agree. If we all agreed, then we'd all go off a cliff. And much peace to you.  :)

"Broccoli could take down a government. Broccoli is revolutionary." --Kris Carr

by rb137 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 08:07:41 PM PDT

•  *play (0+ / 0-)

I can't find a free copy of the thing for you (and I'm not so interested to keep looking very hard -- and probably you're not, either!) Anyway, my recollection is that the tone of the quote comes with obvious 17th century baggage.

But you are right that it mostly matters what the quote means now. To me, a scorned woman is one who is being patronized and ridiculed (and hypersensitive). Gotta watch out for those silly women who overreact to things. The only context I've ever encountered the quote was a dismissive one. Maybe the quote means something else to you.

But no matter. We agree on what the diary intends to convey, for sure.

Cheers.