View Diary: Greenwald's NSA Victory Lap (130 comments)

•  Dang, I was going to rec your comment until (6+ / 0-)
    ...the unthinking adoration some have for them.
    Strawman Sigh.

Baby steps, dubhán.  Baby steps.

"But I do apologize, JVolvo, for you are arbiter of all that can and cannot be discussed and I bow down to your supremacy when it comes to what can be written on this website." WinSmith 1/22/2014 - "OK" JVolvo 1/23/2014 (sorry, Clive)

by JVolvo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 05:38:45 PM PDT

•  rofl (1+ / 0-)
      NedSparks

Whatever inane justification gets your though JVolvo. I stand by my comment. I find lobbing the word 'traitor' around is just as annoying and out of touch with reality as being around those convinced that Greenwald and Snowden can do no wrong or could possibly have handled things better.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 05:47:41 PM PDT

•  meh. False equiv Fail. I've seen "traitor!!1" (6+ / 0-)

thrown around by Team NSA.

I've seen "the unthinking adoration of GG/ES!!1" thrown around by...Team NSA.

2 - 0 does not equal "tie."

Derp.

by JVolvo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 06:22:40 PM PDT

•  so is it a straw man or false equivalence? (0+ / 0-)

You really need to make your mind. And while you're doing that go back and relearn reading comparison. I never said they are the same thing I said I find one as annoying as the other.

Much like how equally annoying and out of touch with reality I find both the extreme left and the extreme right (which now days is pretty much the entirety of the GOP).

You can throw around insults all you want. You still look desperate and flailing around trying to find something, anything to justify your self created contradiction.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 07:12:01 PM PDT

•  Both. (5+ / 0-)

You don't need to explicitly say two things are the same to draw a straw-filled false equivalence:

The bolded text is pure straw that occurs, if at all, at nowhere even approaching the frequency of those tossing "traitor" around.

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. ~ Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 08:31:33 PM PDT

•  um yes you actually do (0+ / 0-)

see the whole point of 'false equivalence' is to claim that because 2 things are the same thing then something unrelated is true.  However I never even claim that calling people traitors is the same as thinking Snowden and Greenwald can do no wrong. I simply say I find them equally annoying.  If I tell you that I think tail gating is equally as stupid water skiing are you really going to tell me I am equating the two?

And pure straw? I realize you suck at debating and all but there is no argument I'm trying to 'defeat'. I suppose you think there is one some where in there but I dare you to point out where I say 'because those convinced that Greenwald and Snowden can do no wrong or could possibly have handled things better ___(insert me asserting something'.

You can't because it didn't happen. More over given my comment is a response to the diary which in and of itself I criticize it makes no logical sense to try and connect part of my comment to it.

So just where is the 'straw' deadhead? I'd ask for an apology but I know you are incapable of that.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 08:46:48 PM PDT

•  Oh what a non-sensical dance of twister, confused (3+ / 0-)

dark dragon cat.

1/4 step forward...3 broadjumps back into la la land.

by JVolvo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 09:06:14 PM PDT

•  Even MORE straw. (4+ / 0-)

Not only do you overuse the term "strawman" when describing the comments of others, you're particularly adept at creating the real deal, on-the-fly.

Well done.

If you think I suck at debating, that means I'm good at it.

Thank you.

By the way, "equally annoying" seems to imply an equivalence. The two words are kinda related.

by DeadHead on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 09:25:57 PM PDT

•  See DeadHead this is your problem (0+ / 0-)

you imagine a conversation that only takes place there. You might imagine there's an implication but that is only true in your imagination. Out in reality where I used the actual words I used there is no equivalence. Merely the statement that I find them equally annoying.

Oh and there's you, Clive and Jvolvo embarrassing yourselves because you think you 'got me'. When the truth is that all you 'got' is a whole lot of empty air.

I don't over use the term 'straw man'. The simple truth is that it's one of your favorite fallacies. But you're so convinced that you are so much better than us that you close your eyes and mind to that truth.

If you really think you are good at debating I encourage you to register at an actual debating website and try your hand. Don't worry I'm sure all the face palms you'll get will secretly mean you are not really horrible at formal logic.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 10:48:18 PM PDT

•  You see, this is why we can't have good things... (2+ / 0-)
                DeadHead, JVolvo
                If I tell you that I think tail gating [sic] is equally as stupid [as] water skiing are you really going to tell me I am equating the two?
                If you tell me that, then yes I'm going to tell you that you are equating the two.

Let's look at a formula:

Let A = tailgating
                Let B = water skiing
                Let x = degree of stupidity: since 'as stupid as';

Then:

xA = xB

simplifying the equation by dividing by x:

xA/x = xB/x
                A = B

QED

•  stop using that term (0+ / 0-)

You really have no clue what it means.

And you trying to teach formal logic is absurd.

Here's an actual example of false equivalence.

Marijuana and alcohol are both drugs. An ounce is about the same as three bottles. If you think one should be legal, you should think the same of the other.

Again though notice how the legality (or illegality) of one is being used to 'prove' the legality (or illegality) of the other? Notice how that is completely absent from my comment?

I'm guessing you don't because either because you truly are this inept at formal logic or because of your petty grudge. I'm not which would be more sad.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 10:42:12 PM PDT

•  blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah... (2+ / 0-)
                    CenPhx, JVolvo

blah

1. quod erat demonstrandum - which was to be demonstrated

2. algebra

3. Here's an actual example of non-equivalence:

Notice how the phrases 'A is B' or 'A is as ... as B' are completely absent from the statement?

I'm guessing you don't because either because you truly are this inept at formal logic or [it's] because of your petty grudge. I'm not [sure] which would be more sad.