View Diary: 'I Had Nowhere To Go' - Man Loses Wife And Mother Because Another Man Couldn't Wait (321 comments)

•  Because it means (2+ / 0-)
    ZedMont, bigjacbigjacbigjac

You are buying extra seconds to possibly maneuver out of a bad situation and avoid this sort of tragedy.  With no room in front of you, your only choice is break or slam into the person in front of you.

Sometimes all you need are a few more seconds to avoid a deadly crash.

Except for traffic situations where everyone is bumper to bumper, on a road with moving traffic, you should always leave room between yourself and the driver in front of you.  There's no reason to be driving closely if you are pacing the same speed as other cars on the road.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 06:59:55 AM PDT

•  you didn't answer (4+ / 0-)

How do you maintain space from someone BEHIND you?
      You can't. That's on them.

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 08:12:57 AM PDT

•  Hmmmm... (8+ / 0-)

I think he's trying to say, in stopped traffic, if you leave yourself  some space in front of you, you'll have room to turn to the shoulder or into the next lane (assuming no oncoming traffic)....

However, speaking of someone who was rear-ended by an oblivious 17 year old going 50, while I was at a stop light, even if I had room, there just wasn't time to react if you aren't already moving.

I, by chance, glanced into the rearview mirror and saw his lights barrelling at me. All I had time to do was brace.

However, my situation ended a little differently, because I was in a Crown Victoria, and he was in a two door BMW.  My (reinforced) bumper obliterated his car. Through airbags and seatbelt was the only reason he wasn't seriously injured. We still all had to go the hospital though.

Republicanism: the political theory that the poor have too much money and the rich do not have enough.

by bacchae1999 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 10:10:06 AM PDT

•  We got rear-ended (6+ / 0-)

on a blind curve on Highway 1; we came up behind a car that was waiting to turn into Esalen, then another car came barreling up behind us. Mr. Scribe (former professional driver) tried to get over into the shoulder area as much as possible but it wasn't enough; our car took some serious rear end damage, but by getting over he was able to avoid more than just a tap on the front car's back bumper, leaving a few scratches at most. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt; we were even able to drive our car back home to the Bay Area after the tow driver took off a small piece of plastic that was rubbing against the tire; the car that caused all the damaged ended up being taken off on a flatbed. (Worst part was Mr. Scribe had grabbed the wrong envelope and had our renter's insurance instead of our car insurance in the glove box, so we got a citation; because it was first offense judge reduced the fine to $25 if we brought in proof of insurance so we just had to make an extra trip down to Monterey.)

by Cali Scribe on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 11:20:46 AM PDT

•  The answer (6+ / 0-)

Is to not tailgate...ever. You should always keep a safe distance. Then, if you see a sudden slow down ahead you can slow down quickly-and immediately check your rearview to see what Joe SUV is doing, if she is not slowing at the same rate-you have a few more car lengths to maneuver or at least speed up to minimize the impact (thats the only way I know how to manage the distance from behind)-even if you hit someone else (probably much closer in speed to you-less impact) it's better than taking a hit at full speed-you will probably be pushed into the next car anyway.

IMO-tailgating is the next worst sin on the road after DUI/DWD.

•  Exactly. (3+ / 0-)

And what I was trying to convey.

Of course one has no control over what others do, but we do have control over what we do and what we remind others to do as well.

I was rear-ended and saw a car rushing towards me from the rearview mirror,  there was no way for me to avoid being hit, but i was able to avoid hitting a car in front of me.  I was the front car of a three car accident.  The back car (a minivan) hit a car that lost control and headed my way, hitting my rear end and scraping all alongside the right side.  The minivan that caused this of course had the least amount of damage.  And my damage was negligible compared to the middle car.

It was a rainy night and the roads were slick.  I was not on someone's tail, and especially in the rain, was giving myself room between me and the car in front of me.

by kishik on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 10:49:39 AM PDT

•  I'm sorry, but not tailgating is NOT going (1+ / 0-)
            JerryNA

to save you when someone is barreling down onto your tail.  So you can speed up a tiny bit and gain a few feet.  That's it.  That wouldn't provide nearly enough time to maneveur out of this.

Even your own example establishes that it wouldn't avoid an accident from someone behind you.  You didn't hit the car in front of you - but the one behind you hit you.

And what you avoided is why you don't tailgate - you can avoid hitting the car in front of you.  But it's not going to avoid someone hitting you from behind.

I know you meant well by your advice and it's good advice, but not at all applicable to this particular scenario.

•  Also aim high (6+ / 0-)

with your eyes -- always look a few cars ahead of you so you can see what's going on. Even though I don't drive, that's the message Mr. Scribe tells me, and he was a professional driver (public transit) for nearly 30 years before he retired. If he sees a slow-up ahead, not only will he slow down, but he'll briefly put on his emergency flashers just to signal the drivers behind him that something's up.

by Cali Scribe on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 11:23:13 AM PDT

•  Of course you can't (2+ / 0-)
        ZedMont, Certifiable Genius

But i'm not certain your point.  Did you just want to explain to me that my response is not acceptqble and nothing could be done to prevent this sort of accident?

by kishik on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 10:51:46 AM PDT

•  Pretty much pointing out that probably (0+ / 0-)

nothing could have been done to prevent this accident other than by the driver who was at fault.  I'm not very comfortable with the suggestion that responsibility lay on the part of the nonoffending driver, even with the "I'm not saying . . ." phrase.

•  Yes - following distance irrelevant (0+ / 0-)

in this case.  The victim was STOPPED.  They were not moving.  It says that in the diary.  That is why there was nothing they could do.  If you are stopped, how could you possibly move out of the way of someone coming up behind you at 60 mph.

"It is easy to sit up and take notice, What is difficult is getting up and taking action." Honore de Balzac

by Vega on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 03:57:40 PM PDT

•  Nobody ever said anything about maintaining space (0+ / 0-)

BEHIND you.

Ted Cruz president? Pardon my Vietnamese, but Ngo Pho King Way.

by ZedMont on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 01:44:50 PM PDT