View Diary: Calm, Cool, and Collected, President Obama Schools ABC Reporter During Press Conference at The Hague (264 comments)

•  What the United States has been consistently (15+ / 0-)

able to do is fuck with the rest of the world.  Look at the number of regime changes, wars, country destabilizations, etc., that have happened since WWII.  Look at the number of people killed.
    And who are our enemies?  Why must there be enemies?  Are there really enemies?  How long does human civilization play this foolish game?
    The truth of the matter is that the U.S. is the leader in making this world "messy".

"Fragmented and confused, we have no plan to combat any of this, but are looking to be saved by the very architects of our ruination."

by BigAlinWashSt on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 09:42:17 AM PDT

•  "War Is a Racket" (18+ / 0-)
      I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902–1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.
      Smedley Butler, Major General, USA (Retired), 1935

"A famous person once said, 'You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.' But as I once said, "If you don't teach them to read, you can fool them whenever you like." – Max Headroom

by midnight lurker on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 10:06:26 AM PDT

•  It's that simple. (3+ / 0-)
        divineorder, Johnny Q, Patate

by BigAlinWashSt on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 10:14:10 AM PDT

•  Whoa lurker, MajGen Butler was a Marine, not (5+ / 0-)

US Army:  MajGen Smedley Darlington Butler, USMC. There is a difference  ;] , Semper Fi.
        Butler was a pretty outspoken, upstanding, outstanding guy, brooking no bullshit from anyone. We don't have many like that anymore.

In 1933, he became involved in a controversy known as the Business Plot, when he told a congressional committee that a group of wealthy industrialists were planning a military coup to overthrow Franklin D. Roosevelt, with Butler selected to lead a march of veterans to become dictator, similar to other Fascist regimes at that time. The individuals involved all denied the existence of a plot and the media ridiculed the allegations. A final report by a special House of Representatives Committee confirmed some of Butler's testimony.

"The church of life is not in a building, it is the open sky, the surrounding ocean, the beautiful soil"...George Helm, 1/1977

by Bluefin on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 01:13:36 PM PDT

•  Oops! :-( (3+ / 0-)

The flying fingers type independently of the brain. Anyway, I agree. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

My impression is that the coup plot was very real and was brushed under to carpet to avoid damaging the economy (and the persons involved.) It's no secret that FDR was hated with a passion by almost all of the upper 1% and many of the lower 5% in some regions (much the same as the current situation.)

by midnight lurker on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 02:19:17 PM PDT

•  Dang but it's great to see it summarized so (1+ / 0-)
        BigAlinWashSt

neatly!  It's too bad so many Americans are so delusional that they think of the U.S. as a pure, selfless beacon of freedom and democracy setting an example for the rest of the world.  You have a lot good qualities but you're not perfect.

Pre-emptive strike:  Canada is nowhere near as virtuous as a lot of Canadians like to believe.

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

by Observerinvancouver on Wed Mar 26, 2014 at 01:17:25 PM PDT

•  Dang but it's great to see it summarized so (0+ / 0-)

Canada may be a nice country but perhaps word has not reached the frozen north that in we in the US actually know some history, too.