View Diary: Black Kos, Week In Review (103 comments)

•  Just a quibble with Star Trek (8+ / 0-)

I understand the tokenism issue, but remember this?

To be free and just depends on us. Victor Hugo.

by dizzydean on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 03:32:41 PM PDT

•  Except they didn't actually kiss (5+ / 0-)

As NBC was against them showing an actual kiss. And, in case anyone has never seen that episode, they were being forced to do it against their will. Honestly, it was quite icky.

Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh to-day as when they first passed through their authors' minds ages ago. - Samuel Smiles

by moviemeister76 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 03:41:34 PM PDT

•  OK, but watch the videos of Nichelle Nichols (4+ / 0-)

describing the scene and how MLK persuaded her to stay when she was thinking of leaving the show...

To be free and just depends on us. Victor Hugo.

by dizzydean on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 03:44:57 PM PDT

•  I'm familiar with it (5+ / 0-)

I've met Nichelle Nichols, and have heard her tell how MLK talked her into staying. The thing is, the reason why she wanted to leave was because she realized she was just a token secretary.

I personally think he was right, primarily because several black actors have pointed to her as the reason they even thought they had a chance in Hollywood. However, it does not change the fact that her role was just an act of tokenism. Heck, it was even worse in the films. The only film in which she ever had anything to do was Star Trek V, when she took off her clothes. I cringe just thinking about it.

Nichelle Nichols is far, far more interesting of a person than Uhura ever was. Except for in the Star Trek books. Several female authors wrote some books in which they fleshed her character into something very interesting.

I am pretty sure that Lupita Nyong'o is inspiring an entirely new generation of black children, but considering the fact that in her second film she was pretty much just a token black person, I can't help but wish for more.

by moviemeister76 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 03:57:38 PM PDT

•  I'm no sure about the second film (3+ / 0-)

Nyong'o comes across in both as a strong female character, and plays important roles in the films--remember, it's her who subdues Khan in the end.

I agree about Nichols the person vs. Uhuru, but what she says about Dr. King's reasoning for her to stay is so important--yes, she could be replaced, but here was an opening to show to the world that a black woman was on par with the rest of the characters and was being treated how Dr. King envisioned blacks to be treated in the future--that America needed to see that on TV--especially in a drama.

To be free and just depends on us. Victor Hugo.

by dizzydean on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 04:09:25 PM PDT

•  Perhaps you are right (3+ / 0-)

Lupita's roll was so tiny, especially compared to how much scenery all the white people had in the film. I think I was just disappointed that she was hardly in it.

On a side note, how cool is it that I can geek out about Star Trek here? Haven't been able to talk about it in a long time.

by moviemeister76 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 06:42:08 PM PDT