View Diary: A View From the Swamp - This Chaos Is Killing Me (14 comments)

•  I have a CAL 25 up on the coast of Oregon. (11+ / 0-)

I lived on it for almost 3 years before I ended up having to move down here because I was falling apart.

We've maintained my legal liveaboard status, so when I go home I can clean it up and move right back in - I fought too hard to live there to give that up.

I built out the "pop top" on it to allow 6'2" height in the main cabin, so a standard bimini enclosure for a CAL won't fit it - I have to have something made that will work with the new entryway.  It might appall a purist, but it makes it much more comfortable as a liveaboard, let me tell you.

I'm so fat! Oh, they're going to love me, I'm so marbled! - Jack LeMans, Bounty Killer

by Mortifyd on Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 05:41:24 PM PDT

•  Nice . Not to big , not to small . (7+ / 0-)

"please love deeply...openly and genuinely." A. M. H.

by indycam on Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 05:57:34 PM PDT

•  exactly. it's just right. (8+ / 0-)

I don't want or need a lot of space, it just collects junk.  I need space for me and Nigel - and I have that.  Once I get the cockpit enclosed - I'll have a tonne of room really as far as I'm concerned.

Little boats are underrated, really.  Everyone wants a 50ft motor cruiser with a king sized bed and a bath tub, but who wants to clean and maintain all that?  I don't.  I don't want to pay someone to do it either.

I might have a rough ride sometimes in the bad weather, but I have a damn good chance of coming out the other side mostly intact and able to keep going.  I like having something I can handle by myself if I need to with room enough for a friend or two if I want some crew.

by Mortifyd on Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 06:08:56 PM PDT

•  What part of the coast?... (1+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest

I'm south of Newport, so if you need someone to look in on anything or prep, send up a flare.

Up through Needles and 99 is probably the shortest. Pick up I5 near Sacramento and on up. I can about Braille you the best fuel stops from Az on, if you want.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop.

(yeah, Adkins & high protein is bad for dicey kidneys, sorry)

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. ~The Druid.
      ~Ideals aren't goals, they're navigation aids.~

by FarWestGirl on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 01:43:44 PM PDT

•  I'll be hitting Phoenix and then headed to Cali (2+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, FarWestGirl

I can see Washington state from my boat, I'm on the Columbia river basin. (Goonie town)

The sad thing is the kidneys weren't dicey until I did 3 weeks of high protein/Adkins. :(  I'm hoping getting right off that and being all gentle with them will let them recover a bit - but we're not sure at this point.

by Mortifyd on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 08:13:58 PM PDT

•  Hopefully cutting off the protein and potassium, (2+ / 0-)
          Mortifyd, RiveroftheWest

(no orange juice for you right now!), will let them recover. Lots of water, (unless the doc says otherwise), to flush them and cross fingers. Might want to contact Kitsap River on Kosmail & ask her about it, she had a transplant a year or so ago.

Pretty far out of my area, sorry. I have friends in Oregon City, but not sure if I could do anything useful with the boat from there.

From Phoenix you can either head directly west on 10 and hit Blythe, Palm Springs, LA and then the Grapevine, or you can cut north to Flagstaff and cut across to miss the Grapevine, (generally a better idea). Flying J truckstops are usually the best prices for gas, and they're scattered at about the right distance that once you hit one, you'll be able to use all the others up through Sacramento. You should be able to look them up online and see where they are.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop!

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. ~The Druid.
          ~Ideals aren't goals, they're navigation aids.~

• Labor (27)
  • Science (24)
  • Congress (24)
  • Law (24)
  • Education (24)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site