View Diary: OMG! Paul Krugman has hurt Nate Silver's fee-fees (40 comments)

•  Krugman's Nobel (5+ / 0-)

was in trade theory,  which he rarely comments on in his own blog or column. The stuff that he's popular for on the left is not what he won his Nobel or.

•  Quite true. (2+ / 0-)
      davidincleveland, TomP

However, Krugman does understand economics, both in theory and practice, better than the vast majority of us. We wouldn't understand the work he got his Nobel for unless it was seriously dumbed down...and then it would probably be unrecognizable, y'know?

Academic papers can be deadly.

English usage is sometimes more than mere taste, judgment and education - sometimes it's sheer luck, like getting across the street. E. B. White

by Youffraita on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 10:10:40 PM PDT

•  It wasn't a Nobel, for that matter. (2+ / 0-)
      Sandino, petral

Neither here nor there.

Dick Cheney 2/14/10: "I was a big supporter of waterboarding"

by Bob Love on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 10:13:51 PM PDT

•  In 2008, Krugman won the Nobel Memorial Prize (3+ / 0-)
        Bob Love, TomP, triv33
        In 2008, Krugman won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his contributions to New Trade Theory and New Economic Geography. According to the prize Committee, the prize was given for Krugman's work explaining the patterns of international trade and the geographic concentration of wealth, by examining the effects of economies of scale and of consumer preferences for diverse goods and services.
        Wikipedia

Enough fossil fuel remains on Earth to warm it 6 degrees C by 2100 AD if it is all used. A +6 C planet will only sustain half a billion humans. Human population will rise to 9 billion by 2050. Any questions?

by davidincleveland on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 10:34:22 PM PDT

•  Like I said. nt (1+ / 0-)
          Sandino

Dick Cheney 2/14/10: "I was a big supporter of waterboarding"

by Bob Love on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 10:38:38 PM PDT

•  Or, like James Hepburn said, a year ago. (0+ / 0-)

LINK

If one wants to be picky, Alfred Nobel authorized only five awards. His progeny are bitter that AN's list was expanded. What they (and James Hepburn) should be p.o. about is the fact that the Norwegians have cheapened the one of those five which is awarded by them, by giving it pre-earned.

I ask you, formally and sincerely, to make your next and all other comments on the topic of my diary. After all, you can always write your own diary about the illegitimacy of the prize in question.

by davidincleveland on Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 11:06:35 PM PDT

•  Like I said, it's neither here nor there. (0+ / 0-)

I used a handful of words trying to deflect trumanesque's aside on trade theory, in an attempt to return to the subject of your diary. You misunderstood me to be attempting to do the opposite. Misunderstandings happen. Don't blame me for yours.

You're going on and on about it for reasons that are of little interest to me. We all know the Nobel story; I don't see the point in re-arguing a case that already bores most of us to tears. If you don't want an issue addressed at length, don't address it at length. I didn't; why are you?

Like I said, it's neither here nor there.

Dick Cheney 2/14/10: "I was a big supporter of waterboarding"

by Bob Love on Sat Mar 29, 2014 at 12:52:59 AM PDT