View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 3/31 (295 comments)

•  UT-Pol: Fmr SLCO Mayor Coroon wants to be Dem boss (7+ / 0-)

Link.

Just something of interest. He's a moderate, and well-liked, so perhaps he can help the Utah Dems rebuild a bit; he's also second cousin to (and good friends with) Howard Dean, and reportedly sparked Howard Dean's interest in the project to register 40,000 new voters in Utah.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 06:50:38 PM PDT

•  It's awesome that you get a vote (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

on who will be next chair.  How will this be done?  Will there be a mingling at the convention (or Jefferson-Jackson Dinner) ended with a vote on the next chairman?

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles.” -The Doctor

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 07:01:22 PM PDT

•  Actually, it turns out I've got conflicting info (2+ / 0-)
        KingofSpades, MichaelNY

I've been told by one party insider that I do have a vote, and another party leader has told me that unless I'm part of the state Central Committee (I am not), I don't.

Wait, on a double-check of my info, it seems that the Rules Committee of the party will be deciding whether delegates/precinct chairs will vote on the new party chair on Tuesday night (so, the 1st of April). So we'll see then. I'll be voting for county and state candidates at the conventions either way though.

And interestingly enough, we actually renamed the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner because we didn't like the negative aspects of Jefferson and Jackson. It's named the Taylor and Mayne Dinner, after Todd Taylor and Ed Mayne, both recently deceased. Taylor was a long-time Democratic activist and party leader, who was known as a living encyclopedia of Utah Dem history, while Ed Mayne was a Utah state senator and labor leader.

Though in any case, if I get a vote for party chair, I am still undecided on who I would like to be chair; Corroon seems like he'd be the most effective.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 07:12:57 PM PDT

•  If Republicans can still call their dinner (2+ / 0-)
          LordMike, JacobNC

the Lincoln Dinner why can't we use Jefferson-Jackson?  And what was wrong with Jefferson?  He reversed many of the oppressive laws and practices set up by John Adams.  Is it because he owned slaves?  Well so did George Washington and everyone honors him like a saint.

Jackson I can understand because he was overzealous in his military adventurism and drove out the Cherokee and other originally SE USA tribes.  And he did make a tactical error in denying to re-charter the Bank of the US, whose collapse led to the rise of the NY Stock Exchange.  But he did give those pro-nullification pols what for with a passion so powerful it was scary.  He also extended universal white male voting rights (before it was just white, male landowners) and created the modern Democratic Party from the Jeffersonian Democratic-Republican Party.

But that's a conversation for the weekend thread (hey, I can ask what people would rename the J-J Dinner then).

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 08:12:34 PM PDT

•  We 'can' use whatever we want (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

We don't have to honor George Washington either, as it happens. Jefferson and Jackson are seriously flawed because of their slaveowning and genocide, in a way that Lincoln simply isn't. Pluswhich it isn't as though we're short of progressive leaders whom we could name our dinners after.

Don't get me wrong, I find Jefferson and Jackson fascinating as presidents, especially as they are such vibrant mixtures of good and evil. And yet I think it's fair to point out that we could choose a name with overall more positive influence for all Americans, or at least ones less associated with what must be ranked as two of the worst atrocities ever committed by the United States.

Of course contemporary presidents are just as tricky, being so much easier to remember the faults of. But we are also free to pick whatever we want for the names, and perhaps we should. Indeed, I'd argue the modern Democratic party is primarily a party of FDR and Johnson and not the party of Jefferson and Jackson, at least primarily.

•  My point with the Lincoln Dinner thing (2+ / 0-)
              HumeanSkeptic, MichaelNY

is that the Republicans have drifted far from the days of Lincoln and Thaddeus Stevens and yet they still use it.  Maybe it would be more accurate to name it after Preston Blair, one of the founders of the party who was quite conservative.

by KingofSpades on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 08:47:18 PM PDT

•  I understand perhaps the facetiousness (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

But i don't think the problem is what our current views are but what the views of the honored presidents were. Now ought neo-confederate Republicans right to honor Lincoln in their own worldview? Well, no. But from any reasonably moral worldview, Lincoln was mostly acceptable to extrordinary given his time. The same is simply not true for either Jefferson or jackson.

•  Also (1+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY

Sorry if I'm a little sharp on this point, I just really can't stand the framing of issues like this as "why can't we do x thing that is or might be offensive". Because it's never that you 'can't', it's that you alienate or offend or drive off or insult or otherwise harm people, and in this case people you want to be your political allies. In this framing we are always asking the offended, often the oppressed, to defend their feelings and acquiesce to the microagressions of the majority, instead of accommodating those we nominally support.

I.e. "why can't I say the n-word" or "why is everything politically correct" etc. It misses the point entirely, focusing on the issues as though there is an external player forcing us to do something instead of as a positive means of fostering inclusiveness. That is the question is not "why can't we call it the Jefferson-Jackson dinner", the question is "should we call it the Jefferson-Jackson dinner?"

•  Well, the name-change was before I got involved (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

So I don't know the reasoning, but I applaud the Utah Democrat's change from the flawed and distant Jackson and Jefferson, to at least more modern Democrats. I would prefer that it be the Rampton-Moss Dinner, after a great Democratic Governor and Senator respectively, but honoring modern Dems that have more of an impact on Utah is nice.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 09:50:52 PM PDT

•  We have had these debates about Jackson before (1+ / 0-)
            KingofSpades

They tend to bring some very strong feelings out on one side.

I love Jefferson, though, and I'm totally in favor of continuing to claim him, if we can.  Even though some people in his time would have called him a "Republican."