View Diary: Obamacare brings coverage to at least 9.5 million (99 comments)

•  We got her an unsubsidized policy. (0+ / 0-)

The price is one we can live with.

The state of residency was never mentioned as a problem, but, ironically, the coverage we got for her was better than we  got for ourselves and better than she would have had on our plan.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 09:20:21 AM PDT

•  Was it unsubsidized because it saved all the (0+ / 0-)

hassle of providing proof she was not eligible for medicaid? As I would think she would qualify for her own policy for a good size subsidy, right?  Or do they require too much documentation for subsidy?

But that is so good that she now has an excellent policy.

Keystone Liberals on Twitter @ KeystoneLibs , Join PA Liberals at http://keystoneliberalsforum.aimoo.com/

by wishingwell on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 10:28:42 AM PDT

•  She doesn't have an excellent policy. Not at all. (0+ / 0-)

She merely has one that's better than ours.

It was unsubsidized because she would not qualify for a subsidy.  People who make below the poverty threshold -- and she earned well below that in 2013, do not qualify for subsidies.  In a state that rejected the Medicaid expansion, they also are not eligible for Medicaid.

I'm not sure about the expansion -- can full-time students qualify?  It doesn't matter in Missouri (or Texas), but I'm curious.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 11:04:13 AM PDT

•  I wish they would change that part, where (1+ / 0-)
          dinotrac

low income individuals qualify for a subsidy in states where there is no medicaid expansion. If denied medicaid for any reason, they should offer those folks a chance to get a subsidized policy.

by wishingwell on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 04:23:32 PM PDT

•  I am not sure if full time college students (1+ / 0-)
          dinotrac

qualify for medicaid or whether they can get it? I know our son was able to get one of those low cost college plans offered by a number of colleges and universities. When I was in grad school in PA, I got my insurance through the university who had student policies. What they covered basically was care received at the college health center, ER care at the hospital for problems the health center cannot handle, and hospitalization.

by wishingwell on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 04:25:43 PM PDT

•  It's probably too late now (0+ / 0-)

but I've heard that if you fudge the numbers up to where you qualify for the subsidy, but at the end of the year you report that you didn't make as much, you aren't penalized.

"Harass us, because we really do pay attention. Look at who's on the ballot, and vote for the candidate you agree with the most. The next time, you get better choices." - Barney Frank

by anonevent on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 05:31:55 PM PDT

•  Given the role of the IRS in enforcement, I'm in (0+ / 0-)

no mood to fudge anything.  I've been on the wrong side of those folks, and it's not an experience I wish to repeat.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 08:15:04 PM PDT