View Diary: How to Make Medicinal (Green) Candy (UPDATED) (122 comments)

•  Exactly. That's why I so recommend (16+ / 0-)

starting with small doses until you understand the effects of the strain used. Overdoing it is so not fun.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    ---> Bertrand Russell

by smileycreek on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 05:52:24 PM PDT

•  There's a concept explained by (19+ / 0-)

Andrew Weil in his book The Natural Mind where he discusses "Set and Setting" and their effects on your experience.

Basically, your response to any psychoactive drug is heavily influenced by your mind set and your physical setting. If you're expecting a mild and pleasant response and get carried away by a much stronger dosage you can experience a great deal of anxiety, bordering on panic. Most people don't enjoy feeling out of control.

In other words, the psychological distress of overdoing it can be intensely uncomfortable and worrisome, especially for a new user. Some people don't enjoy the sensation of being intensely altered, and a lighter dose can alleviate symptoms without making the person feel too stoned.

As an example, a petite friend of mine unknowingly ate two marijuana-infused brownies at an outdoor music festival. She was not a pot user and so when she started feeling altered she became very worried and anxious, which made her heart beat even faster and brought her to the brink of panic. She thought she was having a heart attack. An ambulance was called, but the paramedics did a good job of figuring out what the problem was. Once she had the mind-set that she was physically fine but had just taken a drug she didn't want and didn't enjoy but would nonetheless wear off over time, her panic and fear subsided and she retreated to her tent and slept it off.

---> Bertrand Russell

by smileycreek on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 06:18:21 PM PDT

•  Because... (3+ / 0-)
          marina, smileycreek, RMForbes
          I still have not sampled the candies I was given some 5 or 6 months ago.  I keep hoping that my situation will improve so I will no longer fear my own despair, my very understandable despair.  I've never feared a 'bad trip' before, and I've never had a bad trip.

But my current situation of feeling trapped, with no way out, in a very bad situation, causes me to fear my own reaction.  It is bad, horrendous even.  After reading this I feel that I may be able to try a tiny, tiny amount and build up gradually.  I need to find a way to get out from under my fear.

Thank you, smiley, for this wonderful diary.

"The only thing needed for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing." Hannah Arendt

by dharmasyd on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 11:12:54 PM PDT

•  You know what they say..... (2+ / 0-)
            dharmasyd, RMForbes

If you can't change your latitude, change your attitude? Perhaps the mental shift will take you somewhere very nice.

---> Bertrand Russell

by smileycreek on Thu Apr 03, 2014 at 08:53:37 AM PDT

•  That's what I'm working on... (1+ / 0-)
              RMForbes

...have been for many years.  I'm just trying to be in the present, enjoy the now, and not worry about possibly being evicted and definitely being forced to vacate the parking lot to look for parking, perhaps blocks away when my COPD does not allow me to walk very far.

To keep my attitude good is the reason I covered the walls in my bathroom with animal pictures.

The Social workers where I live have finally started to be concerned and attempt to do something.  Since we have 43 frail elderly and 24 at risk elderly, the Soc Sec coordinators are finally trying to do something about this.  They got fed up when they would bring up their concerns in their meetings with the Board of Trustees and say they were worried about the well being of the seniors here during this year long process.  The response of those in control:

They'll get through it somehow
              Years ago I taught stress reduction classes for Kaiser Hospital in Santa Clara.  I gave the Soc workers my writings on the effects of noise pollution related to stress.  this will be a major for the next year as part of the project is to seismically retrofit all 3 of our buildings.

Like Thumper said, "If you can't say sompthin nice, don't say nothin at all."  So I'm always tempted to say nothing.  Or I can echo the heartless lack of consideration of the Board, "I'll get through it somehow."  I've already dropped my Y membership because I can't go there, I can't go swimming without a car to get there.  To walk the 3 blocks to the bus stop is too exhausting.  Management/Board doesn't care.  They've got what they need to do, and they are not worried about our comfort or safety.

by dharmasyd on Thu Apr 03, 2014 at 11:57:03 AM PDT

•  It is actually physically impossible to overdose (16+ / 0-)

on cannabis. However, the THC high can be very unpleasant when taken too fast and when the strain of cannabis used has a very low CBD to THC ratio. CBD moderates the THC high without chemically altering or blocking the amount of THC in the system.

A higher CBD to THC ratio strain of cannabis would not produce a harsh THC high even if it done in excess...it will only produce on a very good nights sleep. This is why higher CBD concentration strains are becoming more popular as of late with those of us that use cannabis medicinally and not recreationally anymore.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT. I may make you feel but I can't make you think..Jethro Tull

by RMForbes on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 06:40:44 PM PDT

•  ...you really can't overdose... (12+ / 0-)

...it is estimated you'd have to smoke the equivalent of 2000 joints minimum to even start to suspect that could happen. The LD50 is estimated to be around 3000 joints worth.

Your body would process a large portion of that before you'd ever come close to being able to ingest that amount.

Plus, you'd certainly lose interest or fall asleep far before...

Ignorance is bliss only for the ignorant. The rest of us must suffer the consequences. -7.38; -3.44

by paradise50 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 06:50:06 PM PDT

•  You get real uncomfortable for about 30 minutes (11+ / 0-)

The reality of THC ingestion is that you can only get so high from it, and the "peak" only lasts 30 - 45 minutes.
        Unlike alcohol, opiates, barbiturates, where overdoing can easily lead to coma and death, or strong psychedelics like LSD or psylocibin that may have long-lasting psychological impact, cannabis is not toxic even in massive doses, and really not a very strong intoxicant. There are no supportive treatments (such as ventilation) required. By the time you go to the ER for panic fill out the paperwork, and get seen by a doctor, it's already worn off (except for the $1000 ER bill).
        However, I highly recommend listening to Charles Mingus (especially Pithocampus Erectus) through headphones if you overdo it.
        Of course, this does not apply to people who have real psychiatric problems, have schizophrenic or psychotic episodes. And of course there are always outliers. I know one person who experienced marijuana induced epileptic seizures.

"You can die for Freedom, you just can't exercise it"

by shmuelman on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 07:14:49 PM PDT

•  Prolly depends (7+ / 0-)

on your history. I've read (but can verify only anecdotally) that anxiety and paranoia most often come to those whose experience is minimal. Observations of others are clear in my subjective experience: drowsiness and/or sleep.

"Let each unique song be sung and the spell of differentiation be broken" - Winter Rabbit

by cotterperson on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 08:13:00 PM PDT

•  The reason I fear ... (3+ / 0-)
          smileycreek, cotterperson, lorell

an adverse reaction is because I face eviction from my Section 8, Goverment subsidized apartment because I believe, see, think, know (?) we tenants are being forced to acquiesce to some horrible, life threatening, very egregious conditions; and I am standing alone to contest what I believe to be the illegal requirements of the management.

At 81, with COPD, without any living relatives to help, the prospect of being evicted into the streets is a bad trip already, without any mind altering substances.

Who knows?  Maybe I would just relax into the infinite blessed state beyond this absurdity.  I don't know.  I'm only trying to survive a little longer.

by dharmasyd on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 11:51:13 PM PDT

•  I am so sorry (2+ / 0-)
            smileycreek, dharmasyd

you're in such a terrible situation, but I strongly do admire your courage in standing -- especially alone. Just in the last few weeks has it come to me that I could face some kind of dire circumstances as I approach your age alone from 65. It brought on a real panic about some unknown fate to come. I'm fortunate to have inherited own my home and am hurriedly putting together some powers of attorney so I can stay here.

My heart breaks for you, and I do hope others will rise in support so you can stay in your home. You certainly have my good thoughts for surviving in more blessed and less absurd circumstances.

Peace, and all good things ....

PS

Have you considered contacting your local Area on Aging? They might intervene on your behalf or help some other way. Here's a link where you can find one near you:

by cotterperson on Thu Apr 03, 2014 at 09:37:53 AM PDT

•  Thanks so much for your response. (4+ / 0-)

It is so very nice to feel like you understand, to be heard. I've tried to look into every possible helping agency, to very little avail. I do have one to fall back on.  The local pro bono law counciling center will help me if/when I have eviction papers in my hand.  But they are too busy to do anything ahead of that.

I don't think management will be able to evict me as my COPD requires that I do an electrically powered breathing treatment 4 xs per day, and I'm on oxygen, with a big 30 litre tank, not enough money to rent anything except Section 8 housing which usually takes about 5 years to find an opening,  and no living family to take me in.  so, I think the law agency will be able to save me from this part.  It still isn't pleasant however.

Thank you again, cotterperson!  I think I met you at the big Occupy demo on the day Occupy shut down the Port of Oakland.  N'est pas?

by dharmasyd on Thu Apr 03, 2014 at 12:22:33 PM PDT

•  Alas, no. (2+ / 0-)
                lorell, dharmasyd

It wasn't me in Oakland, though it was a great action! I've retired back to the quiet of the Ozark hills, where I have deep roots, great beauty, and an infinitesimal social circle (as you may well imagine!).

I'm glad to hear you have at least someone in your corner, even if it's only at the last minute. I'll continue with the good thoughts for something more pleasant for you.

Please know I'm most grateful to you for reaffirming my need to take action now to protect myself in the future. Just a few minutes ago, I made my follow-up appointment with the lawyer. I'd been a bit nervous about finalizing things, but now it's clearly the right thing to do.

All the very best.

by cotterperson on Thu Apr 03, 2014 at 01:42:22 PM PDT

•  In some cases, you regurgitate (2+ / 0-)
        smileycreek, lorell

I made split pea soup with ground leaf for myself and a few friends including my landlord. I told everyone to not have more than one bowl max. My landlord went back for seconds anyway. He was asleep within two hours and woke up to vomit after about 5 hours. I've seen the same progression with dogs who got into the compost ... eventually their system wants to purge the offending material.

I got high enough one time from smoking that I got the dry heaves. It was bicentennial summer in Philadelphia and the city had been dry for weeks - nasty Mexican pot was selling for 5 times its normal price if you could find it. Then when the new school year started, a friend returned from his summer co-op job with cash and used his connections in the suburbs to score some excellent pot. We sat around smoking joint after joint the morning of registration day. And after about 20 minutes, I was getting sick.

Free: The Authoritarians - all about those who follow strong leaders.

by kbman on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 09:56:25 PM PDT

•  Same thing could happen from (2+ / 0-)
          RMForbes, lorell

smoking too many cigarettes. Not life-threatening, but no fun.

---> Bertrand Russell

by smileycreek on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 10:05:15 PM PDT

•  Except nicotine is a neural toxin that I used as (2+ / 0-)
            smileycreek, lorell

an insecticide on my houseplants. I remember back in the 60's hearing about toddlers dying from getting into their parents ashtray. Nicotine is a poison while the cannabinoid drugs found in cannabis resins are some of the least toxic and most therapeutic substances known.

by RMForbes on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 10:24:18 PM PDT