View Diary: MUST-SEE: Jon Stewart BLASTS Supreme Court over campaign finance ruling (46 comments)

•  A great broadside by Jon Stewart against the (29+ / 0-)

obscene conquest of the democratic process by the big capitalist interests.  He's refreshing in being in direct contrast to the corporate media, just calling bullshit bullshit.

I especially like it when he ends a segment on a straightforward and somber, if sarcastic note, indicating his essential seriousness:

Apparently the one thing so corrosive to the process that it can never be allowed to exert its unholy influence upon our sacred democratic institutions is transparency.  We'll be right back.

"Trust me... I've been right before." ~ Tea party patriot

by Calvino Partigiani on Fri Apr 04, 2014 at 03:33:43 PM PDT

•  Could someone please explain... (7+ / 0-)

...THIS to me in cool, calm and collected terms, without casting aspersions as to why I'm asking this TOTALLY LEGITIMATE QUESTION?

Simple question: Is it accurate? (And, if you're going to answer with anything other than a "yes" or "no," before further spinning "explaining" it to me, please don't waste your time.)

For the record, I sincerely just want to know what's going on as far as this reality's concerned?

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Fri Apr 04, 2014 at 04:13:10 PM PDT

•  Thats not good, another nail in the coffin of... (4+ / 0-)

democracy. They do come fast furious these days don't they?

I's like to say i'm shocked if its true, but being the cynic I am, i'm not.

When the Republicans are in power they get what they want and when the Democrats are in power they still get what they want. At what point do people finally see it is just theater? ~ Me

by fToRrEeEsSt on Fri Apr 04, 2014 at 07:13:16 PM PDT

•  It nixed public financing of national conventions (0+ / 0-)

The Feds have contributed to the cost of the two major parties' national conventions, and the referenced act ends that practice.  Private donations to the national parties from the likes of AT&T, Comcast, Goldman Sachs, and other corporate givers has long eclipsed the Federal subsidy of those quadrennial Party infommercials, and any "corrupting" influence such giving has had on the process of presidential politics has been baked into the cake for just as long as the subsidy has been paid.  By now, the Federal contribution to the two major parties' self-congratulatory, every-four-years' Festival of Yay Us! has become quite superfluous.

The Guardian mixed the end of the governmental subsidy of national conventions with public financing of candidates' campaigns in their story, which confuses the issue rather than clarifies it.  The NPR story I heard on this was much more clear (and therefore, accurate), but I can't find a link to it just now.  I don't read in the linked Guardian story any indication that public funding for actual campaigns is threatened by this act, nor do I expect the "public finance campaigns" check-off box to disappear from my tax form as a result of this act.

•  the part you put in blockquotes was my favorite :) (10+ / 0-)

& scalia & roberts' faux concern over cameras in the supreme court . . . please, gimmeafuckingbreak. heaven forbid the supremes should ever be subjected to the vulgarity of cameras (gasp!) in their throne -- i mean, court -- room. that would mean everyone could see they're not the gods they believe they are (at least where scalia, roberts, alito, & thomas are concerned).

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. ~ J.K. Galbraith

by bluezen on Fri Apr 04, 2014 at 04:16:58 PM PDT

•  I used to think the supremes should allow (0+ / 0-)

cameras in the court room. I'm now wavering. Its bad enough to read about what went on in the court, after the fact. To watch live, as the nonsensical jibber-jabber spews from the pie holes of Scalia, Roberts and Thomas, is probably a bit too much for me -- especially with me trying to lay off the Valium.

Can I get a Grey Goose on the rocks over here?!

by G Contractor on Sat Apr 05, 2014 at 02:14:18 PM PDT

•  Actually (1+ / 0-)
          bluezen

What they are desperate to avoid is simply the TV news and others being able to contrast what they are saying, live and in color, with opposing views.

It makes powerful TV to juxtapose the arguments in simple, easy to understand segments.

Plus ... Scalia and Alito can never quite keep the "sneer" out of their expressions when talking about ordinary Americans.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 09:50:05 AM PDT

•  g contractor -- hear THAT! :) -- btw, couldn't rec (0+ / 0-)

your comment b/c the rec button's disappeared.

by bluezen on Sun Apr 06, 2014 at 03:47:13 PM PDT

•  To Bruinkid thanks for great diary. :-) (0+ / 0-)

You ran into a hardcore progressive whos just another working stiff with an MBA degree & vociferous labor union supporter

by Democrats Ramshield on Mon Apr 07, 2014 at 12:19:36 PM PDT

• Recommended (128)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (32)
  • Elections (32)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site