View Diary: The Daily Bucket--Goldfish Flunk IQ Test (188 comments)

•  Maybe a Thrush? (11+ / 0-)

Swainson's or Varied, depending on how the note rises. Both have begun to call in the Forest.

The Swainson's phrasing is something like oodely oodely oodely oodely eeet?, the whole rising. Note that the following sample from Birdweb is much hoarser than the ones I hear locally:

Swainson's Thrush, from birdweb.org

It could be a Varied Thrush if the trill stays pretty much on the same note, maybe rising a bit at the end, and has incredible harmonics:

Varied Thrush, from birdweb.org

This is my favorite spring voice.

"Sometimes when things are beautiful, I just want to fall down." - begone's 4-year old grandson

by bwren on Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 12:48:38 PM PDT

•  The series of notes does sound like the Swainsons. (9+ / 0-)

This was a bit more muted, though that might be distance/

Def not the Varied, I know that one.

Birds sing at night?? I mean, besides owls? I didn't know.

•  Yep, Robins got going at 3:55am (11+ / 0-)

this morning, though they were probably just getting up rather than saying "good night".

Loons call all night long, as I learned on a camping trip up at Fishlake in the eastern Cascades late one summer. No sleep that night.  Locally, I'll occasionally hear a Bewick's Wren or Song Sparrow late in the evening. Their night song is usually softer, and often truncated a bit, much like the practice songs they whisper from the understory early in the spring.

by bwren on Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 01:50:09 PM PDT

•  Cool! I learned a new thing today. (11+ / 0-)

Birds don't necessarily sleep through the night. Well, I can relate. Trying to remember the last time I actually slept all the way through myself ;-)

Thank you bwren.

•  Robins 2.5 hr before sunrise! (7+ / 0-)

I have always been fascinated by the difference in twilight as you go to higher latitudes. (above 60 on the summer solstice still on the bucket list).

Your robins were up when the sun was still about 20 deg below the horizon and it was still before astronomical twilight.

Perhaps moonlight had some effect?  Here in the thumb of Michigan the only thing that flies all night are the Canada geese--a sure sign of spring.

The plural of anecdote is NOT data

by Dr Arcadia on Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 07:29:43 PM PDT

•  No moon last night - (7+ / 0-)

the clouds had come in. It was still bloody dark, too.

Last year I noted the robins singing at 6:15am on March 4; at ~5:00 am on April 25; at 4:15am on April 30 and May 5; and at 3:45am on May 12.

3:45 was the earliest I noted in 2013, and that was a good month from now. The only thing I can think of as to why they started so early last night was that yesterday was the warmest day of the year so far, and the nighttime temps didn't drop below 55 during the night.

They're singing now, too.

The Wigeons fly at night in the winter here, and Killdeer can be expected to sound off in the middle of the night all year round.

by bwren on Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 08:01:10 PM PDT

•  Wow bwren (6+ / 0-)

3:45 am is very early. While I lack your detailed notes, I am fairly certain I've never heard them much before an hour before sunrise, and I get up at 4:30 am some mornings.  I'll listen carefully next predawn morning.

I've got plenty of robins frequenting my wormy yard and industrial-sized compost piles, and trying to nest on my front door knob, so if they are singing that early, I'll know.

Hmm, Killdeer. I know they run around in the dark, but they are also rarely vocal before dawn, in my experience, unless I'm about to run one over.

“The answer must be, I think, that beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them. The least we can do is try to be there.” ― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

by 6412093 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 11:55:57 PM PDT

•  Morning, 6. (5+ / 0-)

How interesting about the start of singing down there and up here. Latitude, perhaps. It was 4:55 this am; and the chickadees started in maybe an hour later. I can't wait for the Crows to join the chorus, which they will begin to do fairly soon. Sigh...

The Killdeer move back and forth between the lake and the fields to the south and west of our block. I wonder if their vocalizations are a way for them to keep track of one another when they relocate in the dark.  For some reason their calls have always been a companionable sound when I can't sleep - "Oh. You're up, too."

by bwren on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 08:42:38 AM PDT

•  I'll guess the weather and surroundings (5+ / 0-)

play a part, too. At 5 am no one was singing this morning in my backyard, but it was drizzling, too. The birdies may not spend all night outside my window, either.  They may party all night and then come to my yard after their morning coffee.

However, I don't hear much in the way of birdcalls in the predawn at the golf course, either.  It's very quiet an hour before sunrise.

I'll pay closer attention this coming Saturday.

by 6412093 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 10:00:43 AM PDT

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (31)
  • Elections (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site