View Diary: Rescuing Flying Rats: Street Prophets Open Wednesday (31 comments)

•  the starlings are all William Shakespeare's fault: (2+ / 0-)
    occupystephanie, RiveroftheWest

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 06:41:36 PM PDT

•  Yes, I once (briefly) impressed my geography (2+ / 0-)
      Lenny Flank, RiveroftheWest

prof in my biodiversity class when he said that no one knew when starlings were introduced, and I raised my hand with the date, place and motivation.

Oregon has an invasive program where they recruit citizens to alert them to invasive plants they find in the field. A great use of citizen science.

We have it within our power to make the world over again ~ Thomas Paine

by occupystephanie on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 08:20:50 AM PDT

•  Florida has a similar program, but they (2+ / 0-)
        occupystephanie, RiveroftheWest

concentrate on species that still have a limited geographical range in Florida, like Giant African Land Snails--they want to monitor how quickly they are spreading. They also want people to report sightings of rare native animals like Florida Black Bears, Key Deer, and Panthers.

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 09:28:05 AM PDT

•  Excellent! (2+ / 0-)
          Lenny Flank, RiveroftheWest

Those giant snails really creep me out.

Florida is a gorgeous place. Have family there and have been able to visit it a lot. A couple of my favs of "Old Florida":

Robert is Here fruit stand. Love the story behind the name. Smoothies to die for.

Shortie's I once got a rack of ribs to go and pulled it out on the plane back to Oregon. Thought my seatmate was going to attack me!

Hmmm...those are all about food.

We have it within our power to make the world over again ~ Thomas Paine

by occupystephanie on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 11:20:15 AM PDT

•  I think the snails are adorable :) (2+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, occupystephanie

I'd have a few myself if I could. But then, I keep snakes, tarantulas and cockroaches, too.

Florida is, alas, a state that is slowly dying. The parts we haven't already paved over or turned into orange groves, are being invaded by everything under the sun. Soon we'll just have McWildlife here.

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 11:49:28 AM PDT

•  I would hate to see that... (1+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest

but cannot argue with you there.

Oh, also Alabama Jack's, the bar at Card Sound. Best conch fritters and birds flying in and out and the manatees passing by! All the bikes out front and the country band with the old gals dancing. Heaven...

We have it within our power to make the world over again ~ Thomas Paine

• Republicans (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Education (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Texas (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site