View Diary: 20 Stabbed, 8 Critically in Pennsylvania School Attack (268 comments)

•  Please stop belaboring the point (1+ / 0-)
    Portia Elm

raptavio. At this point, it makes less sense to go on and on about my little comment and a metric fuckton more sense to figure out WTF we're going to do to ward off the fucking gun lobby. I can hear them now...

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 12:28:53 PM PDT

•  psst -- (4+ / 0-)
      samddobermann, samanthab, eru, gramofsam1

you want me to stop belaboring the point? Stop belaboring the point. Or better still, walk back your pernicious claim blaming these drugs for this school violence.

"Much of movement conservatism is a con and the base is the marks." -- Chris Hayes

by raptavio on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 12:48:02 PM PDT

•  Psst (3+ / 0-)
        Portia Elm, rbird, Kevskos

Move on, raptavio--everyone else seems to have done so.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 12:56:56 PM PDT

•  Is that so? (1+ / 0-)
          samanthab

Then why are you here?

And why can't you admit your claim is without evidence or support?

by raptavio on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 01:03:01 PM PDT

•  I don't have to admit anything (1+ / 0-)
            Portia Elm

about my own opinion. Take what you want and leave the rest.

I've moved on to other parts of this discussion. You should think about doing the same.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 01:05:21 PM PDT

•  It's not your opinion. (5+ / 0-)

You are making a claim of fact, not opinion.

You don't get to call it your opinion because your claim of fact is unsupported.

Well, rather, you do get to, but that, too, is disingenuous.

Either drugs cause school violence or they don't. It is either factual they do, or it is factual they don't.

To call it opinion is a dodge to avoid supporting your claims of fact.

And if you'd moved on, you wouldn't still be posting.

by raptavio on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 01:07:36 PM PDT

•  I never claimed it was "fact". (0+ / 0-)

How many times do I have to say that before you're satisfied?

I do not need your permission to post here. I would appreciate it--and I'm sure many others would as well, at this late stage of the discussion--if you would simply let this go.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 01:14:26 PM PDT

•  You have had the power (3+ / 0-)
                  samddobermann, samanthab, eru

to end this at any time -- just stop posting about it.

As long as you continue to post about it and hedge, I'm happy to pound your continued disingenuous arguments.

Such as trying to call your assertions "opinions" when they are about matters of fact, not opinion. I don't care whether you say "I'm not calling it fact" -- that's just a dodge.

Such as your "suspicion" -- which you can't even admit is completely unfounded -- that drugs are responsible for school violence.

And such as your complete denial that making such claims, even in the form of groundless "suspicions", do harm in the form of spreading FUD and creating stigma.

So you want me to let it go? Stop giving me the same disingenuous fodder to keep holding onto. Or better yet, retract your claims or admit they're completely groundless.

by raptavio on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 01:20:55 PM PDT

•  I am soooo tired of this shit . . . . (8+ / 0-)

Why in hell should anyone CARE about your uninformed opinion? Especially if you have zero evidence or data of any sort whatever to back it up?

We on the left take justifiable pride in our tolerance. We openly advocate that EVERYONE should be treated equally, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or anything else.

BUT . . .

When we attempt to apply that same "tolerance" to matters of SCIENCE (and "do medical drugs cause violence in kids?" is a matter of SCIENCE, not of opinion), we are utterly absolutely inexcusably wrong. Science is not a democracy. Science cares about facts and evidence, not about opinions. In science, all opinions are NOT equally valid or equally worthy of consideration, and no one can demand that they have a "right" to have their opinions given equal consideration. In science, there are only two kinds of opinions---those which conform to demonstrable facts and data, and those which DON'T. And we refer to the ones which don't as  . . . WRONG. Period. End of debate.

And if you post your silly evidence-free CTs here, you should not act all crybaby whining when someone else points out that it's silly evidence-free CT.

Sorry if that hurts your fee-fee's. (shrug)

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 01:58:00 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry, raptavio, but... (7+ / 0-)

Saying "I have long suspected that X" is not a claim of fact, it is a claim of opinion, and that is what lunachickie said in the post that started this chain.  No one should take "I have long suspected that Bill Clinton and the Pillsbury Doughboy are one and the same" as a statement of fact.

Implied in a statement that you suspect something is that you have no or insufficient evidence. If you had sufficient evidence, you would no longer need to suspect it - you would have proof of it.

-------------------------
                "[T]his is playing the long game, but it's about time we start playing the long game."
                kos
                ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

by Laughing Vergil on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 03:03:33 PM PDT

•  in other words, bow to my rightness or (1+ / 0-)
        lunachickie

I will keep hammering on and on. Because persistence in repeating oneself is the only measure of value.

That sounds like trolling.

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 08:59:28 AM PDT

•  No, trolling (0+ / 0-)

is dead threading two days later to resurrect a conversation that is long over and take asinine potshots.

by raptavio on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 11:11:30 AM PDT

•  Sorry, illness (as with most of life) happens (0+ / 0-)

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 07:28:13 PM PDT

•  Fair enough. (0+ / 0-)

I guess that's reasonable.

But srsly -- sometimes, it's best to let a dead thread go if life happens. I'm about as verbose as anyone on DKos, and I can manage that.

YMMV, of course.

by raptavio on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 07:59:32 PM PDT

•  At this point you could say, "Ill do some research (11+ / 0-)

to see if my suspicion is correct," as an alternative to arguing something you just have a feeling about.

Or don't.

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at fart jokes, but you have to be stupid not to." - Louis CK

by New Jersey Boy on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 12:56:42 PM PDT

•  Sure, I could n/t (2+ / 0-)
        Portia Elm, New Jersey Boy

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 01:00:48 PM PDT

•  Well, I'm comfortable that I tried to make this (6+ / 0-)

a fruitful dialogue.

I've never seen suspicions quite so firmly held and vigorously defended.

I hope you have a good day, lunachickie. I'm moving on to share my postings with others.

by New Jersey Boy on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 01:12:12 PM PDT

•  I have never seen so few (2+ / 0-)
            New Jersey Boy, rbird

so bent out of shape over something that wasn't specifically said. Have a great day yourself :)

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 01:19:56 PM PDT

•  This article (2+ / 0-)
              lunachickie, TheMomCat

from Psychiatric Times seems to indicate that they are both correct to some degree.

My quick skim of it looks like it does not address if the diagnoses are correct or not but some places over prescribe drugs and others under prescribe.

In another note I have noticed that scientific articles on mental health tend to be very long compared to the 3-4 page papers one sees in Microbiology.

Hopefully all the wounded today will continue to improve and the young man who committed this crime gets the help he needs.  That goes for the 4 wounded in the Toronto knife attack today and the 15 wounded by the hit and run and the day care in Florida.

"In short, I was a racketeer for Capitalism" Marine Corp Brigadier General Smedley D. Butler

by Kevskos on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 04:41:34 PM PDT

•  Or you could just keep being cruelly, arrogantly (1+ / 0-)
          eru