View Diary: I am sick of this creationist crap (216 comments)

•  It lowers one's IQ... (5+ / 0-)

... to be forced to accommodate ignorant individuals for the sake of "going along to get along."

We've been doing that since Dumbya was installed in his first term, and the trend is only getting worse, not better.

I'd rather see some of the reverse happening:  The ignorant being educated enough to allow for logical thought processes to take root in their brains.

Stop accommodating ignorance and educate the masses!!!

[While I'm at it, toss those new word-math problems and their illogicality out the window.  Go back to basics: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.  For those going into science professions, add algebra, physics, calculus, trigonometry and the like, but don't make them requirements unless someone is entering those fields in college.  I have no idea where this new math comes from, but I know where I'd like to stuff it: up the arse of the person who invented it.  Don't confuse elementary or secondary school students.  By the time they reach high school age, they need to be taught math they can logically be expected to actually use - like how to balance a checking account, the proper way to write out a check and why, how to figure out interest on loans, and credit card statements, how to calculate square footage in a room to install carpeting, how to measure a window for drapes or curtains, how to read a land description on a deed if they buy property (this will also come in handy if said kid does genealogy research and gets copies of land grants, or if the kid gets plat maps and wants to know where their ancestors lived, they need to know how to read a township map)..., practical things one will use in everyday life as an adult.]

by NonnyO on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 10:32:15 PM PDT

•  It is child abuse (14+ / 0-)

to indoctrinate kids, or intimidate them, or threaten them with hell if they don't believe an actual fairy tale as literal truth (yet declare storybook fairy tales the work of the devil), or to make thought a sin.  It confuses them, and the ridicule they will likely face is harmful. It ill prepares them for higher education or successful social interaction.

The trend towards charter schools needs to be halted and I mean NOW.  Homeschooling is a menace.  Parents should send their kids to parochial school if their faith is that fragile. The push for equal freaking time for creationism in public schools is inappropriate and must not be entertained.  Do not allow people in Texas to write textbooks. And in no way should tax dollars fund any misinformation in education.

End of rant. For now.

"I'm just trying to shovel smoke with a pitchfork in the wind... " - John Lennon

by Paragryne on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 10:55:35 PM PDT

•  ^^^What Paragryne said!^^^ (3+ / 0-)
        jts327, lunachickie, howabout

by NonnyO on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 10:58:26 PM PDT

•  Been arguing this for years. (4+ / 0-)
        NonnyO, lunachickie, Paragryne, howabout

Glad others see the same thing

What we call god is merely a living creature with superior technology & understanding. If their fragile egos demand prayer, they lose that superiority.

by agnostic on Wed Apr 09, 2014 at 11:01:02 PM PDT

•  The word "indoctrinate" (4+ / 0-)

is what the fundies are saying the liberal godless heathens are doing to their little precious ones.

That's right, they are being "indoctrinated" with all that science which includes evolution, and therefore their children are being harmed.
        This is the argument they are throwing back in our faces. Yeah, it is a WTF to be sure.

I swear, you cannot argue logic, facts and science with these idiots and to do so is futile.

"We can either have democracy in this country or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." Louis Brandeis

by wxorknot on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 05:56:57 AM PDT

•  Yep. (2+ / 0-)
          NonnyO, wxorknot

I gave up talking to them a long time ago.

Now I just ask why there are no cow fossils and enjoy the glazed-over eyes and verbal contortions ending with "Praise Jesus!"

Cheap thrills, I know.

by Paragryne on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 10:00:10 AM PDT

•  I’m afraid that much of your bracketed rant (4+ / 0-)

is, to be blunt, anti-intellectual nonsense.  In today’s world basic algebra and basic physics, for example, are as much a part of a minimal useful education as a general knowledge of history, geography, and English.  So is basic statistics, though relatively few high schools yet teach it; for most students it would be a far more usable choice than calculus.  Moreover, many people don’t know that fields they’ll go into even when they reach college; your suggestion would force them to make some basic choices much earlier even than that.

As for your examples, balancing a checkbook is basic arithmetic that shouldn’t need to be taught as a specific application, though there’s certainly no harm in doing so; figuring loan payments (which I assume is what you meant, since the actual interest rate is generally a given) is just an instance of the more general skill of substituting numbers into a formula; calculating square footage of a room is an application of grade school arithmetic that shouldn’t need to be taught as a specific application, though there’s certainly no harm in doing so; and writing a check, measuring a window for drapes, and reading a land description on a plat map are not mathematics.  (And the two check-related topics seem to be on the verge of obsolescence anyway.)

•  "lowers one's IQ"? (0+ / 0-)

Seriously?

•  Feels like it (1+ / 0-)
        Paragryne

When I have to eliminate whole decades of education to go to thinking that backward to accommodate those who refuse to learn, I do get the sensation I'm losing IQ points.

Ignorance is a word that means unlearned or untaught.  It does not imply an inability or unwillingness to learn, or imply a person doesn't have enough curiosity to seek knowledge on her/his own.

Everyone's ignorant about something.  Most people welcome new information into their brain, actively seek new info on a whole long list of topics.  The cure for ignorance is knowledge.  Not just any knowledge but accurate knowledge.  There reaches a point in grade school when the smarter kids are no longer gullible; they lose their belief in magical beings like Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.  These are the children who can accept reality.

However, there is a strain of (usually) religious fundamentalism that adamantly refuses to learn anything beyond the Dark Ages when popes decreed the masses were to be kept uneducated because ignorant people were easier to control, and certain types actively, adamantly refuse to acquire new knowledge.  A refusal to learn that strong crosses the border into willful stupidity.

We didn't have TV when I was a kid; that didn't come along until the late '50s in my childhood home.  Books were my companions and remain so.  I have the largest private library of anyone I know (now my aging problem becomes 'who gets all my books when I die?').

I don't understand people who refuse to learn anything new, or refuse to look at the past and marvel at what can be discovered from old bones, fossils, archaeological digs, etc., and wonder who those people were and how did we get to be where we are today.  Just befuddles me that anyone lacks curiosity to learn.

Soooooo..., yes, while it's not literally true that I'd lose IQ points..., it very much feels like I'm doing so to be around the people who refuse to learn.  I have to exit and go read a book with new info to start to feel normal again.

by NonnyO on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 10:43:38 AM PDT