View Diary: CBS: Stephen Colbert to replace David Letterman (312 comments)

•  this was my (12+ / 0-)

first thought too.  i would miss his character but don't know how well that would play over the longer format, not to mention how he interviews guests now.  i love to see who will be able to sit at the table with him and who will be under it, but that only goes so far. that is not to say i would not love the real colbert, i have not seen much of him either.

it will be interesting to see how its done, but the letterman slot is too late for me and i how no dvr/tivo/such stuff.

"I am an old woman, named after my mother. my old man is another child who's grown old." John Prine (not an old woman)

by art ah zen on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 09:23:55 AM PDT

•  Colbert has played out his right-wing character (33+ / 0-)

He could keep going in that narrow direction, because he's a hugely gifted clown, with the best stable of gag writers on TV.

But Colbert has a lightning-quick mind and talent, he's very good on his feet in interviews, and Dave's show will give him a platform to open up in many new directions. He's the only person out there who's so protean and charming that he could beat Jimmy Fallon in the ratings wars (pace Craig Ferguson, who's brilliant at interviews and monologues).

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 09:38:07 AM PDT

•  I just hope he keeps doing (6+ / 0-)

Better Know a District. That's awesome. Or maybe TDS could take it over.

•  That's the thing (6+ / 0-)

Craig Ferguson is fantastic too, and CBS already had him in their late spot.  I imagine he is feeling pretty left out in all of this.   Don't get me wrong, Colbert is a big get, but Ferguson deserves a shot at a prime-time audience somewhere.

•  I'm not sure he'd translate to middle America (5+ / 0-)

His off-beat humor is my favorite thing about him. Though he's incredibly gifted at connecting with guests and making his interviews fresh and funny. It's quite amazing how many beautiful women fall for his charm and flirt outrageously with him.

I wish he'd get that "shot at a prime-time audience" - but I think, in Dave's slot, Fallon would massacre him, and he'd go the way of Conan O'Brien (Jay Leno is a nasty weasel with sharp teeth).

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 10:33:20 AM PDT

•  I'd pay-per-view for Ferguson and Billy Connolly. (0+ / 0-)

Just hearing those two makes me feel hilariously drunk!
            Craig regains the rest of his accent, when Billy's on.

I'm the plowman in the valley - with my face full of mud

by labradog on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 11:52:09 AM PDT

•  I was hoping the opposite. (2+ / 0-)
          betelgeux, annetteboardman

Ferguson is as brilliant as he is because he is free to take risks.  He knows the network isn't going to come in and mess with his show in an attempt to pull ratings.  The audience at 12:30 just isn't all that big, which allows him to be really creative and funny.  Moving to a prime time slot would likely kill the show, in my opinion.

In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.

by Cixelsyd on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 12:06:53 PM PDT

•  hello brecht... (6+ / 0-)

i have to disagree that he's played out his right wing character.  I've been watching him for years and it never gets old.  and although he's obviously extremely quick of mind, his interviews aren't so great;  he dominates the conversations and shuts his guests down too quickly.

i've preferred him to stewart for a long time and think this move may be good for him personally, but will miss his activism and pointed observations...

If you didn't care what happened to me, and I didn't care for you, we would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain, occasionally glancing up through the rain, wondering which of the buggers to blame, and watching for pigs on the wing. R. Waters

by No Exit on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 10:49:18 AM PDT

•  Picasso played out his blue period, too (4+ / 0-)

Humphrey Bogart spent the '30s playing B-movie gangsters.

I know Colbert could play his Report character like Yehudi Menuhin - I'm just saying I see a lot more instruments in his repertoire. He's trading a sure thing for a big gamble, and the fact that he wants that tells me he's hungry to stretch out in new directions.

His right-wing blowhard shuts down conversations, but he's throwing a certain energy out and he wants his guests to run with it, or fight back, or use what he's giving them. They do know what they're stepping into, if they watch his show. Colbert himself is a much kinder and more responsive person than his persona.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 11:25:20 AM PDT

•  Stewart also says Colbert has many unused talents (0+ / 0-)

in the Vulture article someone linked to in a comment here:

“He is a uniquely talented individual,” Stewart said. “He’s wonderful in Colbert Report, but he’s got gears he hasn’t even shown people yet. He would be remarkable.” . . .

“He’s done an amazing job with just that very narrow cast of character, but he’s got a lot more he can show,” Stewart said. “He’s got some skill sets that are really applicable, interviewing-wise, but also he’s a really, really good actor and also an excellent improvisational comedian. He’s also got great writing skills. He’s got a lot of the different capacities. Being able to expand upon [those] would be exciting."

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 12:16:44 PM PDT

•  i think this is a good move for him personally... (1+ / 0-)
            Brecht

and i agree that he has a variety of talents that don't get any/enough play within the confines of TCR, but it's not like his Colbert persona is losing appeal, running out of material or getting stale in anyway.

as for his interview, perhaps he's too good at imitating O'Reilly because his interviews are as unwatchable as O'Reilly's...

i agree its a schtick, but the interviews where he simply shuts people down are imo the weakest part of the show.  too much verisimilitude kills it...

and i am aware that he is a far different person than the persona he adopts for the show.

it's a good move for him perhaps, but i think it's a sad day for those who appreciate the rarity of strong pushback to the MSM.

otoh, there is a plethora of late night shows a la o'brien, fallon, kimmell, ferguson, letterman...

i have nothing best wishes for colbert personally in all of his endeavors.  i've loved him since strangers with candy.

btw, i was included in a brief letterman bit by virtue of my front row seat to a taping back in the late 90s.

by No Exit on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 12:49:05 PM PDT

•  We'll see what Colbert makes of this opportunity (1+ / 0-)
              No Exit

I think he has so many ideas that he's going to hit the ground running some time next year.

There is one aspect of his satire I haven't seen mentioned yet. He has such an upbeat, friendly energy (even when he's being shockingly rude), and he puts so much oomph into his 'Muricaness, that he's surprisingly popular among right-wing viewers. So I know (from visiting my aunt in Texas, with all her older Republican friends) that Colbert has gotten a lot of people to give a second thought to Foxaganda - and these are people who normally never watch MSN or Comedy Central.

I'm confident that by 2016, someone else will be pushing the envelope Colbert left behind, and the man himself will be surprising and wowing a lot more viewers.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 01:07:09 PM PDT

•  That's the idea... (2+ / 0-)
          Brecht, mjd in florida
          he dominates the conversations and shuts his guests down too quickly.
          He's in character all the time.  that's what O'Reilly (Papa Bear) does, so that's what "Colbert" does.  The guest are all prepped ahead of time for this and told that they need to treat him like the idiot he plays during the interview.  Whether they live up to their part or not is up to them.

by Cixelsyd on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 12:09:16 PM PDT