View Diary: New Wave Of Undocumented Migrants Adds Pressure To US Immigration Problems (25 comments)

•  The "solution" is not border control (6+ / 0-)

It is working to make life livable where the migrants are fleeing from. We economically forced tens of thousands of small Mexican corn growers out of business because of trade deals like NAFTA. We enabled the rise of drug cartels by the suppression of legal indigenous commercial opportunities throughout Latin America. We underwrite oppressive controlling elites in places like Honduras and Haiti apparent just to see the spectacle of dirt poor people fight with each other for scraps.

We are allowing our Financial and Power Elites to create and maintain the conditions that are placing "stress" on our borders.

Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. --Martin Luther King Jr.

by Egalitare on Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 05:36:22 PM PDT

•  That is not a solution (0+ / 0-)

that is likely to come up on the US political screen, but that is indeed the root of the problem.

•  It's also not my problem (0+ / 0-)

Their living conditions aren't my responsibility.  Wanting a better life does not give one privilege or cause to enter another country illegally and attempt to leach off of their citizenry.

I dislike and disagree with NAFTA and similar proposals because of the effect that they have on this country.  I believe that we should be protectionist in our trade agreements.  So called "free trade" is nothing more than corporations exploiting the people of both nations for temporary gain.

"It's not surveillance, it's data collection to keep you safe"

by blackhand on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 08:04:30 AM PDT

•  They don't leech they work, (0+ / 0-)

probably harder than you do. By the way, Big Biz, especially, Big Ag, loooves illegal immigration. Economic refugees drive down labor costs and if they're undocumented they don't dare organize.

The free market is not the solution, the free market is the problem.

by Azazello on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 08:32:56 AM PDT

•  It still does NOT justify being here ILLEGALLY! (0+ / 0-)

There is a right way and a wrong way to immigrate to this country.

I fully support the legal way. I have ZERO tolerance for the illegal way and I don't care what excuse is used to justify it.

Your attempt to make this into a question of how hard I work or don't is both irrelevant and lame.

"It's not surveillance, it's data collection to keep you safe"

by blackhand on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 08:45:19 AM PDT

•  That's a pretty simplistic stance, (0+ / 0-)

and explanations are not excuses. It's a global problem, a product of neo-liberalism, and neither militarization of the border nor Arpaio-style round-ups will stop it.

The free market is not the solution, the free market is the problem.

by Azazello on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 08:52:12 AM PDT

•  I thought all of South America... (0+ / 0-)

...was tired of us imposing political solutions on them.  I mean, we've been at it for what, 100 years?

•  The status quo is "imposed political solutions"... (0+ / 0-)

...which only work for the local elites in those nations.

The financial and power elites have purchased and nurtured the current socioeconomic state of affairs. Just because it looks like (better wording is that it is "advertised/marketed as")  the result of "free market forces" or "the natural order of things" doesn't mean it wasn't an imposed political solution. It just happens to be a "solution" that works for the elites and none of the lesser mortals, both here and abroad.

by Egalitare on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 05:57:36 AM PDT

•  OH, how I wish that I was not too late to rec your (0+ / 0-)

comment.  A thousand times.

This has been going on for generations. E.g., denying political refugee status to those attempting to come in from countries in which we (the US) instituted homicidal regimes in Central America.

All declared economic refugees, and therefore not worthy of the title "refugee."

And, yes, there's a point to be made wrt importing cheaperhere skilled labour - but I still think it's invalid: there's nothing to prevent those corporate entities that wish to do so, from off-shoring their IT.

Ultimately, I can't follow your assertion that corporate interests are heavily invested in the pending immigration reform law for the reasons you state.  There's no downside for them, either way. They can just go off-shore - and shield their income to boot.

What I would like to see, although I know I never will, is something that guts the militarisation of our southern border (unlike what is contained in the presently pending Immigration Reform bill, which puts X number of more stupid fruitless $s into monsterous useless fences and militarisation of the border to ease the fears of the male, pale and stale constituents in the border states, to all of our detriment). By me, not 1 more illegitimate deportation: is the way to go.