View Diary: Yowsa! Friday News Dump! Wis GOP Leader Caught on Tape Drops Out of Re-Election Bid (89 comments)

•  I tried looking for election records of the 19th (2+ / 0-)
    Puddytat, oceanview

but only saw the uncontested 2010.  To your knowledge have there been any close ones in the last 10-20 years?

Is there much buzz about Medicaid expansion and minimum wage that could help create turnout for Dems?

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White

by Satya1 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 02:52:17 PM PDT

•  State Senate terms run 4 years (7+ / 0-)

so the last time Ellis ran was in 2010.  The district is one that has been serially gerrymandered so Republicans are likely to try to get a tea bagger in office.

It's hard to get a statewide referendum on the ballot in November since they need Legislative approval (and Republicans aren't conducive to "our kind" of referenda).  Several areas are trying to get minimum wage initiatives onto the local ballots for November.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 03:06:09 PM PDT

•  Of course, the Democratic candidate could (4+ / 0-)
      nadd2, Puddytat, Creosote, JeffW
      create some buzz on those topics by repeatedly announcing, "If elected, I will vote for increasing the minimum wage" and If elected, I will vote for Medicaid expansion".

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." -- Sen Carl Schurz 1872

by Calamity Jean on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 06:35:59 PM PDT

•  Mary Burke has finally started saying (2+ / 0-)
        QuelleC, Creosote

those things.  I'm surprised it took her this long to start.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Fri Apr 11, 2014 at 10:15:30 PM PDT

•  Her milquetoast approach (4+ / 0-)
          Creosote, nadd2, isewquilts2, Puddytat

has annoyed me to no end.  I wonder if she's just trying to stay under the radar since the big money will do its best to destroy her.  She's not able to spend her money yet because she'll be outspent x10.  I just read an article that said the 2016 presidential election isn't interested in investing in 2014, because republican governors cause people to vote for a democratic president, or some such nonsense.  I really hate it that WI gov is an off year election.

•  I'm beyond annoyed at Burkes non-committments (1+ / 0-)
            QuelleC

She thought that not being tied to campaign promises would make her untouchable.  Instead it's made her look weak, indecisive, and seemingly unqualified.

The fact that the national Dems are keeping hands off is a disgrace.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Sat Apr 12, 2014 at 11:48:48 AM PDT

•  Organized citizens could also create some buzz (2+ / 0-)
        Puddytat, Phoenix Woman

Get enough people talking about two very real, tangible improvements to their life, sitting right there on the table in front of them, and more will move to take them.

The office cooler, the local paper editorials, posters at the corner where the fruit market sits, posters at rallies for the Dem candidate of the 19th, Penny Bernard Schaber...

But I'm wondering if there already is some buzz for those two issues the way there is in some other areas of the country.

I'm not liberal. I'm actually just anti-evil, OK? - Elon James White