View Diary: NC woman calls police on homeless Jesus (188 comments)

•  Some people need a physical reminder (38+ / 0-)

and if that statue inspires people to dig a little deeper in their pockets (including folks who don't go to that particular church), it's a decent investment.

by Cali Scribe on Sun Apr 13, 2014 at 10:19:03 AM PDT

•  I'm not so sure... (16+ / 0-)

...I found this little gem the other day.

I was quite humbled by this.

"Wealthy the Spirit which knows its own flight. Stealthy the Hunter who slays his own fright. Blessed is the Traveler who journeys the length of the Light."

by CanisMaximus on Sun Apr 13, 2014 at 12:11:01 PM PDT

•  That is totally classic! (5+ / 0-)

Of course, I wouldn't have contributed either, as after much time in the Third World I only give directly, to the very young, very old, and the totally disabled.

Although I will be in Honduras again in two weeks, building a playground at the orphanage this time while my wife treats the sick.

•  Yeah... I spend a lot of time... (2+ / 0-)
          Horace Boothroyd III, ypochris

...in Central America and Colombia, mostly vacationing and visiting friends. It's hard. The 10 year-old's or even younger come up and tell you how if you don't give them money, their father will beat them.

Then you find out it's true.

I sometimes buy and give blankets & water to old folks and street people, and will buy anyone a meal who needs one, but even with just that you can give until you bleed from the ears. I've gone home broke a couple of times.

I admire you for going to Honduras. Haven't been there in about 15 years. Are you going with a church group? My neighbor does that. He's gone all over the world. He even gave me picture of him and Mother Theresa in India taken in the 80's.

Buen suerte.

by CanisMaximus on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 01:57:32 AM PDT

•  We aren't a church group, (4+ / 0-)

although we will be using facilities built by a church group (the clinic). Groups using the clinic are presumed to be proselytizing while helping, but that isn't our thing. Besides, we are such a mix of beliefs (from atheism through animism and "new age" to virtually every sect of Abrahamic beliefs), what would we teach?

Nope, just going down to help people. Caring about others is justification enough.

•  Thank Cthulhu... (1+ / 0-)
              ypochris

...I'm an atheist myself and believe it's my obligation to do the right thing despite that. While I believe my uber-christian neighbor is sincere, the proselytizing turns me off. He builds bridges where they are needed. Good for him.

I would be interested in learning more about your group.

by CanisMaximus on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 01:59:43 PM PDT

•  Although our old website was hijacked, (1+ / 0-)
                CanisMaximus

the new site at limonaid.org is back up and running, although incomplete.

My mother in law got us and a number of co-workers to join her in staffing the medical clinic in Limon  (a remote coastal village in Honduras) in 2006 after she volunteered one year. We have joined her every year since for two to four weeks. They also went to Haiti after the earthquake, a trip I was unable to join. My wife is also a doctor, and I do infrastructure projects such as clean water, public toilets, re-roofing the school, etc. Generally twenty or so people join us, some new, some repeat travelers, each paying their own way plus contributing for medicine and the development project of the year. We also fundraise, with 100% of the money going to purchasing medicine or supplies for whatever project the donor specified.

This may be our last year in Limon; due to the clinic there it is attaining a level of "aid saturation" and there are so many places that need the help far more at this point. But it is very useful to see the effects of various projects over time to see what actions are most helpful. It is also nice to see old friends every year! But while we will never stop helping somewhere, this is likely the last trip to Limon for the group.

•  I fell in love... (1+ / 0-)
                  ypochris

...with Santa Marta Colombia. But soon after spending some time there, I found that this was still going on.

Since then I have been going back help dig wells. Twice now. If they have access to clean water, they can grow a little food and the grasses from which they make their traditional garments and trade goods. (mochillas, bracelets, fetishes, etc.) You can find this stuff on E-bay now.

Yes, it's dangerous.

But the need is so great.

by CanisMaximus on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 05:20:17 PM PDT

•  Although Honduras is considered the most dangerous (1+ / 0-)
                    CanisMaximus

country in the Western hemisphere, we never felt any of it personally (except when we blundered around a corner into a restless and bored riot squad hoping they'd get some action on International Worker's Day). Certainly in Limon we feel utterly comfortable - the people love us! Comfortable enough that my daughter has been there six times in her five years.

The tension when we went right after the coup was intense, more time spent at roadblocks than driving, but things have relaxed a lot since then. As far as I can tell the bulk of their astoundingly high murder rate is activists, journalists, and basically any blatant opposition being eliminated. It isn't directed at us, and we remain apolitical to keep it that way.

•  Kidnapping of foreigners... (1+ / 0-)
                      ypochris

...is still fairly common. A girl from Spain was held for ransom, which was paid, while I was there two years ago. I never really worry about danger, but the Wayuu happen to be on top of an oil deposit. That makes it dangerous to be around THEM. Oddly, I feel safer in Bogota than I do in the desert. The Urabenos and the Rastrojos are right-wing paras who control the drug routes. Which happen to go through Wayuu lands. The rich business interests use them for political murders.

I really don't want to live on Earth anymore....

by CanisMaximus on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 08:30:27 PM PDT

•  As painful as it is to see what we love (1+ / 0-)
                        NewRomeIsBurning

being destroyed, it is the people, not the Earth, that I want to escape from. And only a minority of the people, actually - the uncaring, greedy, selfish, destructive ones. The majority of people are good at heart, even if often misinformed.

When I am alone in the wilderness, I am utterly happy. But we are social beings, and after a few weeks I find myself seeking out company. People - can't live with them, can't live without them. It's a problem...