View Diary: White supremacist in custody after shooting spree at Kansas Jewish Community Center (209 comments)

•  I dunno..... (7+ / 0-)
    Have there been any clues about precipitating triggers? Something in news or current events, possibly imaginary threats circulating within his community? Dispute or bad blood in his personal circles? Drugs?
    .....could be the whole fascism thing.

We on the Left always want to find some trigger or underlying cause.  With some people it's just there.

This space for rent -- Cheap!

by jds1978 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 06:44:18 AM PDT

•  At 72 years old? (1+ / 0-)
      rubyclaire
      He's 72 years old; it seems to me that anything that was "just there" all along would have expressed itself long before now.

So it doesn't seem at all out of line to ask what changed that caused him to go from 7+ decades of being a complete white supremacist bastard who didn't go on a shooting spree, to a complete white supremacist bastard who did go on a shooting spree.

by JamesGG on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 07:12:35 AM PDT

•  He might be losing impulse control (1+ / 0-)
        Debby

Some forms of dementia begin with a loss of judgment and impulse control.

•  Have you not read his history? (10+ / 0-)

This is hardly the first time he has sought to kill.

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 07:18:34 AM PDT

•  I think it's about the way this went about. (1+ / 0-)
          catwho

There was nothing different about his capacity for an act like this yesterday, versus a month or a year ago. He could have chosen to do this at any time, and he was hardly the only white supremacist bastard with murderous feelings or intentions out there.

I'd wager that the main reason most of his fellow white supremacist bastards with murderous intent don't do this all the time is that they know as well as we do that to go on this kind of shooting spree is functionally a death sentence; either one will die by cop, turn one's gun on oneself, or get arrested and spend the rest of their life behind bars.

So why this guy, and why yesterday?

by JamesGG on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 08:21:52 AM PDT

•  Maybe he was recently diagnosed with (7+ / 0-)

a terminal illness and decided he might as well go on a shooting spree because a life sentence won't be long. He's probably wanted to do this his entire adult life, and if his doctor just told him he only has a few months to live, now would be a good time to do it.

I personally hope the motherfucker lives another 40 years, spending every last one of those days behind bars.

"How come when it’s us, it’s an abortion, and when it’s a chicken, it’s an omelette?" - George Carlin

by yg17 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 07:34:31 AM PDT

•  People cross the line to murder everyday. (4+ / 0-)

It doesn't mean that they are mentally ill.

It does mean that they made the decision to do so.

•  I wasn't saying that mental illness... (1+ / 0-)
          rubyclaire

...was necessarily the "trigger."

I was saying that for someone who hadn't murdered people before—though, as the above commenter points out, there was definitely a history of violence—something had to be different yesterday than, say, ten years ago or even two months ago that caused him to go out and do something he must have known would be the last thing he ever did as a free man.

We all know the formula for things like this; he would either be shot by the cops or his own gun, or be in prison for the rest of his life. I haven't seen any evidence yet that he was delusional to a degree that he wouldn't have understood this.

It could have been mental illness or dementia, but it also could have been (as some have suggested) a terminal diagnosis, or a post he read on a white-supremacist message board, or something on the news on the radio.

I think that's true for just about everyone who crosses the line to murder; there is some particular reason that on that particular day, in that particular time and place, they make the decision to deviate from their ordinary non-murderous behavior and become a murderer.

It doesn't necessarily have to be mental illness, but I think it does have to be something, because murdering people isn't an everyday behavior for most human beings.

by JamesGG on Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 08:13:41 AM PDT