View Diary: Chart of the Day: Aircraft carriers. U.S. has more than everybody else combined, and then some (276 comments)

•  the days of the aircraft carrier are over anyway (3+ / 0-)
    happymisanthropy, Kevskos, Roger Fox

With armed unmanned drones, the entire big expensive vulnerable carrier group can be replaced with a single cheap  modified cargo ship carrying a few hundred drones.

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Tue Apr 15, 2014 at 04:37:21 PM PDT

•  Until someone jams the data-link (3+ / 0-)
      jds1978, Kevskos, JeffW

Or spoofs it.

The Iranians already claim they can do this. Not sure if I believe them but I wouldn't be surprise if we can it. I wouldn't put it past China either.

Just call me old-fashioned but I don't think drones are the be-all and end-all of military solutions.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Tue Apr 15, 2014 at 04:42:11 PM PDT

•  I dunno . . . I think maybe you jet-jockies just (1+ / 0-)
        marsanges

view "flying" drones as not as much fun as flying the real thing . . . .

;)

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 08:14:18 PM PDT

•  I wouldn't mind if I could telecommute (1+ / 0-)
          Lenny Flank

As long as I could fly it while sitting in my bathrobe and my fuzzy slippers while drinking a cup of coffee.

But why stop at aircraft? Why not build drone tanks and ships as well? Why should jet jocks be the only ones on the unemployment line?

by Major Kong on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:11:44 PM PDT

•  Battle of Midway June 1942, the peak IMHO (0+ / 0-)

Yeah day of the carrier is long gone.

Coral Sea & Midway, really the only great carrier battles, in late 43 we showed up at the Gilbert Islands with 21 brand new spanking carriers, no contest.

IIRC the IJN lost 6 of 10 carriers in the first 10 months of WW2. Entirely at the behest of Admiral Blackjack Fletcher.

.................expect us......................... FDR 9-23-33, "If we cannot do this one way, we will do it another way. But do it we will.

by Roger Fox on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 04:36:48 PM PDT

•  Yep. im a huge fan of drone tech. (0+ / 0-)

As a companion to a well armed, highly advanced infantry, we have the best most flexible warfighting force, sans nukes.

Everything else DOD does, from tanks to jet fighters to carriers, is quite stupid.

•  yep. we are still preparing to fight the Cold War (0+ / 0-)

with the USSR, because we never got to have our big glorious gotterdammerung. I think the brass miss that.

Talk about "re-fighting the last war" . . . .

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 08:10:34 PM PDT

•  So basically a (0+ / 0-)

Carrier but with robot planes. Cause you still will need the group to protect your "cargo ship" or a guy in a jet ski with an RPG is sending your costly drones to visit Neptune.

Also drones need operators, a hundred of them will need a control tower, plus mechanics, data people, personal to feed them, a few marines to protect the ship... damn it sounds a lot like a carrier

•  well, except: (0+ / 0-)

The guy on the jet ski with the RPG won't know your particular cargo ship from the thousands of others in any given area. But if that's really a concern for you, the Japanese pioneered aircraft-carrier SUBMARINES half a century ago. Any US sub can carry and launch a few hundred drones. I doubt any jet ski can reach them.

As for the operations center and lunch to feed everyone, that doesn't even need to be on the same continent that the drone is in. Drone operations in Afghanistan are routinely "flown" by operators in Nevada or Virginia, who have lunch at the local McDonalds afterwards, with the data and computer guys.

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 08:08:10 PM PDT