View Diary: Brit Hume says Obama and Holder use race as a 'sword,' is stung by reactions (238 comments)

•  Does being an asshole (8+ / 1-)

increase or undermine your effectiveness?

Dude. I'm asking you simply what makes one word a cliche and others not. You don't need to get in high dudgeon over it.

"Much of movement conservatism is a con and the base is the marks." -- Chris Hayes

by raptavio on Tue Apr 15, 2014 at 05:21:50 PM PDT

•  No. But reread your own posts (0+ / 0-)

and consider if you might have been misread.  That is:  if I might have looked at your chain of replies, and somehow misread your intention.

If you aren't polite to others, on occasion, they will react, and not positively.  Even if you do not so intend.  Because this is the case here.

I did not intend to annoy you.  And I'm sorry if I did.  But you gave -- perhaps not deliberately, but give you did -- and you got.

Sorry.  But this is getting out of hand.

Quote of the week: "They call themselves bipartisan because they're able to buy members of both parties," (R. Eskow, Campaign for America's Future.)

by mbayrob on Tue Apr 15, 2014 at 09:57:28 PM PDT

•  I am perfectly willing to admit (3+ / 0-)
        mikejay611, JWR, weezilgirl

that I mix it up sometimes, and jab with barbs. And I'm also perfectly willing to admit that sometimes I do so without intending to.

But in this case? No. I cannot see a reasonable interpretation of my previous remarks that would warrant that behavior, unless a skeptical questioning of your premise is, in your mind, an attack on you personally.

This one's on you, sir.

by raptavio on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 06:07:53 AM PDT

•  HR for being a dick..................eom (0+ / 0-)
      •  Not what HR is for (nt) (1+ / 0-)
        raptavio

"Happiness is the only good. The place to be happy is here. The time to be happy is now. The way to be happy is to make others so." - Robert Ingersoll

by dackmont on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 06:59:47 AM PDT

•  Not true. (see DBAD doctrine) Also insulted (0+ / 0-)

another poster using an obscenity without cause.

It's exactly the kind of comment that would be HR'd if the other poster had made it.

•  Actually, (0+ / 0-)

substitute "asshole" for "dick" and that's pretty much exactly what I said to mbayrob. So I said "don't be an asshole", and you HRed me for it while saying "don't be a dick". Consider how stupid that is.

by raptavio on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 07:17:38 AM PDT

•  Call it HR-drift (1+ / 0-)
            Be Skeptical

I'd rather save them for gross abuses; they're more effective when used sparingly.  Low-level dickishness (whether in the service of a good cause or not) is its own reward (via what other people think). Just imo/fwiw ... your use may well be within site norms.  But on to more important things... rainbows and butterflies to all concerned.

by dackmont on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 08:19:42 AM PDT