View Diary: Hey, Shoe Truthers... (103 comments)

•  I was on vacation for two weeks. (20+ / 0-)

I heard about the shoe incident on the radio, and the first thought that passed through my mind was, "just watch, the Right will claim it was set up"

And boy, was I right.

Living in non-reality can only be sustained for a while.  They're really starting to fall apart.

"Republicans are shameless dicks. No, that’s not fair. Republican politicians are shameless dicks." - Al Franken

by AlyoshaKaramazov on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 07:02:36 AM PDT

•  I actually hadn't heard of it 'til now. (5+ / 0-)

If it was on right wing radio, though, I absolutely will be hearing of it from my rwnj coworker.  Cannot wait!  The unhingedness of right wing CT really should make him pause occasionally, and yet, somehow, it never does. Poor guy, though.  He lives in a highly right wing enclave south of Salt Lake City, and then has to come to work each day with a bastion of liberals who just laugh and give him strange looks when he starts spouting the shit that passes for reality on the radio and down in Happy Valley.

"On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps...of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again."

by middleagedhousewife on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 07:50:55 AM PDT

•  Meanwhile, back at the Circle of Confusion - (4+ / 0-)

... I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal was with Benggggggaggggzi.

This is how I managed to piece the story together between screaming hyperbolic spluttering on the part of reichwingnut Moronic Media:

The ambassador and a three corporate mercenaries (or real US military soldiers - I don't know which) were at the embassy (or whatever the building was)..., the ambassador had stayed behind and not gotten out when told, and when it started on fire the ambassador was going back and forth saving lives..., and he eventually succumbed to smoke inhalation, was not murdered by (?) rebels, but he three guards (either corporate mercenaries or real soldiers) were murdered.  [Hillary has waxed poetic about the service of corporate mercenaries and how important they are to government officials in taking them around areas full of strife.]

So, if the ambassador died of smoke inhalation because he ignored orders to leave and he saved a few lives in the process, then his death is really on his own head because of the choice he made to stay behind.  If the guards were corporate mercenaries ... they were being paid for their services and knew the risks going in, so they died in the service of whatever corporation that hired them.

Amiright?

If I got the gist of the story correct, then what's the screaming all about?  The people who died were adults who knew the risks, and they knew that death at the hands of some gun-bomb-toting nut/rebel was at least a potential possibility.  They still chose to take the risk.

It's like mountain climbing up a cliff, or speeding around a racetrack in a car, etc.  It's a rush that adrenalin junkies choose.  There's always a risk, and sometimes people die because of unwise choices they make.

by NonnyO on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 08:41:35 AM PDT

•  Bzzzt! I'm sorry - you're injecting COLD LOGIC (6+ / 0-)

into this argument, and EVERYONE (on the right) knows that LOGIC is an anathema to stoking righteous indignation and riling up the uninformed base of the GOP electorate. ;-)

Your analysis of the facts would indicate the Ambassador died from his own choices, wasn't murdered. Bodyguards know the risks they are taking. Nobody kept help from going to their aid.

Benghazi is just another right-wing driven "shiny object" designed to deflect us from digging into the truth about the crimes of the Bush 43 administration, and convince stupid people to elect Republicans into office.

America's LAST HOPE: vote the GOP OUT in 2014 elections. MAKE them LOSE the House Majority and reduce their numbers in the Senate. Democrats move America forward - Republicans take us backward and are KILLING OUR NATION!

by dagnome on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 09:39:54 AM PDT

•  Well, Fiddle-de-dee and Fiddlesticks... (0+ / 0-)

Ah, do dee-klare... it seems I divined truthiness in spite of all the hyperbolic screaming.  I've been waiting to see if there was some sort of secretive conspiracy something I hadn't read yet (I turned my TV off many months ago, refuse to listen to that blather and bad ads).

Well, bless their little hearts.

by NonnyO on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 01:53:07 PM PDT

•  Indeed, you did ;-) (1+ / 0-)
            NonnyO
            it seems I divined truthiness in spite of all the hyperbolic screaming
            I hope my attempt at snarkiness didn't disguise the inherent humor in your assessment of vain Republican attempts to dangle shiny objects in front of American voters ;-)

by dagnome on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 02:20:27 PM PDT

•  :-) Not for me, no... (0+ / 0-)

With Repukes and Teahadists regularly doing things for real that exceed most attempts at snarkiness, it's difficult to tell some days what the heck is going on.

While I can typically ignore any reference to Bennngggagzi, I STILL have NO idea in the world what the Fauxers and Teahadists are yapping about or why they're so upset.  Choices were made by people and the results were fatal..., but that's still not HRC's fault; she wasn't there.

[I wish I didn't have to defend her.  I won't vote for her if she runs for prez because she said in the Benghazi hearing that she thinks the US should increase its military presence in Africa 'to protect American interests there.'  I don't appreciate her warmongering rhetoric for that or against Iran, her support of big banks, corporations, big business, etc., and I most assuredly don't like the fact the Clintons and Bushistas have been spending so much time together.  'You are what your friends are'..., etc.]

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.  I miss the good ol' days when politicians sometimes said things that resembled common sense.

by NonnyO on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 11:47:25 PM PDT

•  On the contrary (3+ / 0-)

It's my experience that the longer they live in unreality, the more practiced and relaxed they become with it. They become accustomed to attacking reputable sources as being secretly biased, or defending themselves with accusations that their free speech is being suppressed.

"2 plus 2 equals 4"

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."