View Diary: The "Marxism is coming back" trope (264 comments)

•  Not so good if you are a capitalist ... (6+ / 0-)

... which is why there is a much stronger push for "free" markets than for competitive ones.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 03:46:36 PM PDT

•  Yet capitalism *in theory* depends a great (1+ / 0-)
      BruceMcF

deal on competition.

In other words, the idea of competition is used to cover a number of sins, at least in Adam Smith's work as I understand it (it's been a while, so I might be misremembering it).

the funny thing is how the idea of competition disappears as soon as that would interfere with an extremely rich person making money. As in the market-based public option, which really was presenting nothing more threatening than an economic competition, which capitalists are supposed to love.

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 07:15:32 PM PDT

•  Whose theory? (0+ / 0-)

There are approaches to economics designed to legitimize capitalism that rely on the strategy that if capitalism is assumed to work differently from the way it can be observed to work, then it would have a variety of benefits ...

... but to me that is more propaganda, even if dressed up in scientific-looking mathematical models, then it is scientific theory.

I think all of the actually scientific approaches to the study of the economy agree that capitalists in practice work assiduously to destroy competition whenever they can do so to their own individual advantage.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 09:38:12 PM PDT

•  Certainly. I guess I was just pointing out (0+ / 0-)

the hypocrisy. Probably unnecessary, in this diary, where most people know that capitalism is hypocritical. But this particular hypocrisy really pisses me off.

Don't make it look like it's some kind of tourney of noble knights with the idea that the best man will win because of his own strength and God's guarantee against injustice, when it's actually just a bully robbing defenseless people.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 09:02:39 AM PDT

•  And as far as the theory ... (1+ / 0-)
            SouthernLiberalinMD

... don't make it look like a repeated series of fair tourneys, when the rules are there for all to see that the winner of a joust can end up with the horse of the loser, forcing the loser to drop out of the knight business ...

... so in the end you get a bunch of contests with the one knight sitting on his horse, winning all contests by default and collecting the grand prize without risk.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 10:38:11 AM PDT

•  Damned skippy. (1+ / 0-)
              BruceMcF