View Diary: The "Marxism is coming back" trope (264 comments)

•  How is the system 'mechanistically' efficient? (2+ / 0-)
    congenitalefty, ChadmanFL

It is predicated on exploiting both material resources and human resources in order to have access to both the material resources and the products of human resources. The whole thing is structured so as to waste all of the above in the pursuit of wealth & thus bring on the environmental calamity we now face.

I can imagine many economic arrangements that are more efficient than that, including feudalism.

“It takes no compromise to give people their rights...it takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no political deal to give people freedom. It takes no survey to remove repression.” ― Harvey Milk

by lucid on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 06:12:20 PM PDT

•  If the goal is rapid wealth accumulation with no (1+ / 0-)
      Cassiodorus

regard for consequences, there is a window of opportunity some are willing to seize.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. ~ John F. Kennedy

by 4Freedom on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 06:51:11 PM PDT

•  True but it is not efficient at distributing (3+ / 0-)
        congenitalefty, ChadmanFL, 4Freedom

resources [which is usually the claim], nor is it efficient in using them. The whole thing is a homage to waste.

by lucid on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 07:05:24 PM PDT

•  I have worked on Wall Street with high level (1+ / 0-)
          lucid

bankers and brokers. When I say they have little or no consideration of the consequences of their actions, I am speaking from my experience with most, but not all, of those in power positions that I have personally met.

In truth, I believe that if there was a moon or Mars colony they could escape to after pillaging this planet, that is what they would do.

They simply lack the moral compass that directs so many of our actions. Considerations about systemic waste or inefficiency isn't part of their lexicon. They are the masters of smash and grab, and they know how to get out of potentially sticky situations quickly because they have the funds to buy their way out.

Attempting to understand them as you might others you meet would be a fallacy. Yes, if you prick them they bleed, but that would be the last time you were permitted anywhere near them.

by 4Freedom on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 08:38:40 AM PDT

•  It's mechanistically efficient at (2+ / 0-)
      lucid, Lost Left Coaster

wrecking the potable water and arable land on the planet in short order.

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 05:52:53 AM PDT

•  That's where we are. Thanks capitalism! (1+ / 0-)
        SouthernLiberalinMD

Although I would add that communism as practiced in the 20th century was pretty good at wrecking the environment too. But communism is a non-issue now. China is an authoritarian capitalist state. There are no real communist states of influence out there.

"As the madmen play on words, and make us all dance to their song / to the tune of starving millions, to make a better kind of gun..." -- Iron Maiden

by Lost Left Coaster on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 09:29:04 AM PDT

•  Correct. (1+ / 0-)
          Lost Left Coaster

Communism was way too entranced with the Big Dirty Industrial Factory System.  But I guess everybody was back then.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 01:38:26 PM PDT