View Diary: Koch Brothers' net worth tops $100 billion! (42 comments)

•  HoundDog - Kock Brothers Bill and Fred Jr (3+ / 0-)
    a2nite, HoundDog, AlexDrew

may not work, but David and Charles run Koch Industries as operating executives. They certainly have the money to pay professional management to run company, but instead have key operating roles. When they inherited the company from their father is was worth less than $2 billion. The value of Koch Industries hasn't increased 50X by David and Charles spend more time at the beach.

None of us like their politics, but the two top executives at Koch are not part of the passive rich.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Wed Apr 16, 2014 at 10:40:57 PM PDT

•  None of us likes their economic (3+ / 0-)
      ChemBob, OleHippieChick, elwior

"policies" either, I hope...

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:31:46 AM PDT

•  I know VCLib. I was the owner, founder/ CEO (5+ / 0-)

of an INC 500 company I ran for 20 years, involving 18 to 20 hours workday 7 days a week, pretty much  360 days a year.

In this special case, I though artistic/comic license was sufficient to go along with the inspirational burst of paragraphs that came out.

My success with mixing snarky humor with real reporting is so bad here, - usually less than 10 responses, I figured this article was mostly for practice or as portfolio piece to some other outlet I might find -  like a modern day Mad Magazine, Onion, or really edgy hard-core leftist humor place.

So, I was okay with the trade-off.

I made a promise to myself that if the average number of recs and comments falls below the total number of minutes I put into posting for more than five in a row I'm finding a different hobby and way to contribute to progressive causes.

That's the main reason I dropped out in January of 2013 for year. I'm having fun here now so to avoid backing myself into a corner I'm trying not to spend to much extra time perfecting pieces I don't expect to get more than 10 responses to.

"Seriously, Folks, WTH?" - ("What the Heck? "h/t Joan McCarter, Seriously, Florida. WTF?)

by HoundDog on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:22:50 AM PDT

•  HD - good to have you back (3+ / 0-)
        HoundDog, elwior, kurt

We don't have many current or former founder CEO/entrepreneurs of public or high growth companies. It's a voice we need more of here at DKOS. I think very few people understand what it takes to start and grow a successful business that can scale. While most of my career the past 30 years has been as an investor, I was the co-founder and CEO of the top performing biotech on the AMEX in 2000. As you note lots of 16-20 hour days. In addition typically 1,000 hours or more without compensation before you even have the resources to draw a paycheck.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:38:16 AM PDT

•  Yes, it's a tremendous about of work. And if you (4+ / 0-)
          VClib, skepticalcitizen, AlexDrew, kurt

actually measured it by hours for most of my that part of my life I was probably working below minimum wage even though on paper my company was worth millions.

Sadly, I had some unfortunate health events poorly times with a bitter divorce with my ex-wife an about a 10 year probate battle, ending an a bankruptcy causing me to lose it all.

I'm rebuilding, and feel the entrepreneurial fires burning brighter. Yes, many have great misconceptions about the people who actually build businesses from the ground up, (as opposed to inherit them.)  I don't know much about the Koch brother's actual history. I'm starting to study it as I do think we should be as accurate as possible

One of greatest challenge as a people in the next century is to move beyond a simplistic "either-or" kind of thinking. One of my teachers many, decades ago, Dana Meadows who had endured a tremendous amount of criticism from her Limits to Growth book, and subsequant environmental modeling came to realize the importance of our mental paradigms.

She wrote one paper suggesting that capitalism, socialism, environmentalism, and technological optimism were all valid points of view of parts of a greater system, but that like the story of the five blind men and the elephant, until we can stand back, and integrate the valid parts of those perspective, and separate ourselves from the ideological places all can go wrong at, we will spend time fighting one another instead of realizing we are all on the some team and on the same "space-ship" earth.

Our field was a kind computer simulation of social systems based on feedback control theory and using numerical methods like Euler's routine, or Runge - Kutta to simulation the solution to multiorder non-linear differential equations.

The first model I worked after going to MIT as a special student to work with this group there was on a Food-Population Model that tried to represent each the core feedback structure crucial to each of these four paradigm, and integrate them as an educational tool to foster a higher level kind of discussion about how to achieve such an integration.

But, I came here 9.5 years ago, partially seeking refuge from that world which, during my medical and financial crisis were collapsing around me and I was struggling to raise my son as a half time parent in battles with my ex-wife.

So, I've never mentioned any of that here. But instead have tried to learn how to write and understand the mindsets of various elements of the political landscape that our original team of scientists were far to naive about, ultimately rendering much of our work then ineffective, at a political level.

Corporations loved it, for scenario analysis of "soft-systems's strategic issues, most of their quantitive people couldn't touch.  Some of also tap danced our way into the organizational learning movement.

One of my corporate mentors was the Global Strategy Coordinator for the Largest Corporation in the World at the time. His favorite motto was "the only sustainable competitive advantage you will ever get is developing he ability to learn faster than your competitors." We later added all the other stakeholders as well, customers, suppliers, the whole system.

Most of my business was flying around the world brining this methodology into companies and some governments, who wanted to accelerate learning as a competitive advantage.

At one point I was doing 160 to 180 client days mostly audience days, at $5,000/day and hauling crews of MBA and Phd around with me.

I've thought about restarting that but am too burn out, and getting old for the rigors of that kind of travel (58). So I expected to come here, spend a year or two "mastering the internet" and "boom" be off again.

Sort of got distracted by the elections.

Thanks for commenting VcLib.

by HoundDog on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 08:09:12 AM PDT

•  They're clearly not just twiddling their thumbs-- (0+ / 0-)

and that's a real shame.

"David and Charles run Koch Industries as operating executives."
      Of course, these are the people who push the notion of "skin in the game". Most Americans literally have skin in the game, in the form of aches, bruises, blisters, burns, and even lost limbs. The only skin these guys have in the game is what they risk to paper cuts.

"The value of Koch Industries hasn't increased 50X by David and Charles spend more time at the beach."
      Of course not. They've also been able to spend a lot of money to buy a lot of the kind of help that very few people can afford.

Debating with a conservative is like cleaning up your dog's vomit: It is an inevitable consequence of your association, he isn't much help, and it makes very clear the fact that he will swallow anything.

by David Franks on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 08:06:35 PM PDT