View Diary: Charges dropped against PA teen who recorded himself being bullied (182 comments)

•  Unfortunately, your comment seems to (30+ / 0-)

reflect why the RW is working hard to dismantle public schools.  This whole incident is a perfect example they would use as to why they are doing this.

If you acknowledge it, you can change it.

by Raggedy Ann on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:50:03 AM PDT

•  Reality check. (8+ / 0-)

According to the Department of Education's Digest of Education Statistics (2012), there are roughly:

* 49.5 million students (Pre-K through 12th grade) enrolled in
      * 99,000 public schools, managed by
      * 13,500 public school districts.
      Yes, we see a steady stream of stupidity, but the vast majority of schools are well above that level.

I saw that you named them "the few"--and I appreciate that--but there are many who do not; I provide the numbers for their benefit.

The word "parent" is supposed to be a VERB, people...

by wesmorgan1 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:23:02 AM PDT

•  Really? (19+ / 0-)

Or is it that the bullied kids are too ashamed and scared to come forward after the first 10 brush offs by administrators?

Parents end up changing schools, moving to new towns or states, or homeschooling their children, or the child has to "grin" and bear it.

This problem is reflective of wider social malfunctions that plague us today. Cheating, Bullying, White Collar Crime, regular victimization of the poor, the weak, the socially isolated, the disabled, or differently abled--

Its all around.

It's not even that odd that a child could be both the bully and the bullied. Shit rolls down hill as they say.

"It were a thousand times better for the land if all Witches, but especially the blessing Witch, might suffer death." qtd by Ehrenreich & English. For Her Own Good, Two Centuries of Expert's Advice to Women pp 40

by GreenMother on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:29:25 AM PDT

•  Yes, really. (2+ / 0-)
          BMScott, blueoasis

You seem to be suggesting that a majority of those 99,000 public schools are NOT handling bullying incidents properly. On what evidence do you base that argument?

After all, very few persons write newspaper articles (or blog entries, or Facebook posts, or Daily Kos diaries) to praise schools when they handle such things properly; instead, we only see reports of their failures.

By what logic do you extrapolate from that small number of reports to the suggestion that more than half of our public schools fail to handle bullying incidents properly?

The word "parent" is supposed to be a VERB, people...

by wesmorgan1 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 10:23:06 AM PDT

•  The vast majority of cops would report wrongdoing (23+ / 0-)

by other cops, too, except they keep not doing that.

There's a stunning lack of oversight of the petty fiefdoms established by school administrators, and their loyalty is almost always to their own career first, their power second, their fellow administrators third, teachers fourth.

If there were anything left for kids, we wouldn't see the insane "zero tolerance" policies or the mass testing abuse succeed.  They'd be challenging those policies instead of, overwhelmingly, supporting them.

Those of them who seek to change a system which is abusive of and degrading to children are a minority.

Overheard a Frenchman trying to explain Thomas Freidman to a Brit "He's got shit for brains -- but that's his asset. That's why he appeals to the US bourgeoisie."

by JesseCW on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:46:20 AM PDT

•  Hold on there... (1+ / 0-)
          BMScott
          Hmmm...I don't know about that; it seems to me that a big part of 'zero tolerance' policies is that parents are demanding an ever-higher degree of "safety for the kids." Another piece is the fact that some folks don't want schools making ANY decisions along those lines, and argue that they should pass things to law enforcement whenever possible; that's another path to 'zero tolerance.'

Don't get me wrong - I grew up in one of those "petty fiefdoms" you described, and it can be absolutely horrid. However, we need to acknowledge ALL the contributing factors, not just the easy targets.

The word "parent" is supposed to be a VERB, people...

by wesmorgan1 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 10:35:18 AM PDT

•  How many Principles and other adminstrators (2+ / 0-)
            blueoasis, Tonedevil

have ever, even after retirement rendered the immune from retribution, stepped up to argue on behalf of kids and against these policies?

I can point to Cops in organizations like LEAP.  Some of them really do seek reform.

If there are school administrators (retired or active) engaged in the same kind of push-back against standardized testing and insane zero tolerance policies and entrapment efforts posing as "drug stings", they certainly not reaching the same profile.

by JesseCW on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 10:46:15 AM PDT

•  I don't think that is fair. (3+ / 0-)
          white blitz, PinHole, AverageJoe42

My brother is Superintendent for Special Services in a very large district. I know that he works 55-60 hours a week and that his school system is dedicated to making things better in all ways. I know my brother is not sitting around counting his paycheck and that is the extent of his involvement. He and his co-workers (the other superintendent's) care very much about the students, their safety and their education. We never hear about people like these. We only hear the bad stuff. There are a lot of dedicated people in the school systems. Teachers and administrators work hard for their paycheck and the overwhelming majority care very much about the students.

•  I'm very sorry. Now that I know you are personaly (0+ / 0-)

related to a Superindent, all my views have changed.

I will never understand why people think "My Brother/Dad/Daughter  is X" means that corrupt and unaccountable institutions cease to be corrupt and unaccountable.

Cops, Priests, used care sales men -someone always comes along and pretend that anyone with their DNA must be a great person.

But, really, my heart just aches for very pampered white collar workers who put in fewer hours in an average week than most of the teachers making 1/4th or less their salary.

by JesseCW on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:35:17 PM PDT

•  I think, with respect, (4+ / 0-)

that this was unnecessarily harsh and not likely to help the previous commenter understand why there is push-back against "minor officials".

The reality is that most District Superintendents in this country, and by definition, the managers below them, are almost completely powerless to make changes.

There must be tens of thousands of people in these positions who are as desperate as we are for good, effective leadership, yet it is woefully lacking in so many States.

In Oklahoma, today, several state teacher and principal associations have pretty much declared war on the State Superintendent of Education, a dentist who should have stayed with what she knows!

It might be that this User's brother is working very hard to change the circumstances of his students, but is as frustrated as we are by the constant set-backs, the blame culture, and the litigation that flows from it.

We should be firm, but we are liberals, and some empathy goes with the territory.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
              but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 06:52:03 PM PDT

•  I agree with you (7+ / 0-)

I have many relatives who are public school teachers and a relative has been on the school board of one of the larger school districts in the country.  They all speak of their frustrations with school administrators and incompetent teachers, but they are mostly frustrations of personality and petty policies, not gross incompetency like this case

If this PA problem was as pervasive as those wanting to portray in the comments, this is something that we'd be talking about a lot more.

This incident reminds me of that poorly considered idea to activate the cameras in school-provided Apple laptops when they were in student homes.  It was an outrageous idea that withered in the daylight of scrutiny, but there are people in 13,500 public school districts who do stupid things.

•  This is not a case of a few bad apples. Overall, (8+ / 0-)

they're comparable to cops.

Similar contempt for those under their "protection", similar sense that they're above the rules, similar sense that the highest value is loyalty to one another.

Like cops, they're not all active sadists.  Also like cops, only a small minority sees that things are broken overall and has any interest in fixing the system.

by JesseCW on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:42:41 AM PDT

•  The one big difference between teachers... (2+ / 0-)

...and cops is that a parent can actively work with an administrator to change a kid's teacher.

With cops, it's random, whether you're a crime victim, witness, or perp.  You could get a by-the-book professional cop or someone like Pike (the UC-Davis pepper-sprayer) or Capt. Mark Kruger (a Portland cop who likes beating up and pepper-spraying women, and who's been credibly accused of Nazi activities).

You can't spell "Dianne Feinstein" without "NSA".

by varro on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 10:04:03 AM PDT

•  There are certainly bad teachers, and (3+ / 0-)
          varro, blueoasis, doinaheckuvanutjob

occasionally simple mismatches between child and teacher that don’t really reflect badly on either, but I have the distinct impression that administrators are more likely to be a problem than teachers.  (Granted, as a retired university professor I may have the odd prejudice or two about administrators as a class.)  And systemic problems caused by administrators are harder for a parent to address.

•  I don't get it (30+ / 0-)

This isn't rocket science. When I was a kid, I saw how my teachers handled such incidents. Children were put on opposite sides of the room, kids were sent to the principle's office, parents were called...basically a shitstorm occurred.

The bullying stopped, at least in the classroom.

Most of the bullying I experienced happened on the playground, in the hallways, on the way home from school, or during athletics practice, behind the coach's back. If the coach or teachers knew bullying was going on, they kept a special eye on the bullies in these locations. I remember a little bully getting his due when the teacher on playground duty caught him at it. There was zero bullying in the classrooms because it was so easy to stop.

So I don't get it. It's simple to stop most bullying, especially in the classroom.

Join Essa in a revolt against the gods. Continue the fight, Causality.

by rbird on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 07:55:56 AM PDT

•  May I share an anecdote? (28+ / 0-)

I went to a fairly well-reputed junior high and high school in Tennessee.  I was extremely unpopular and a frequent target of what I'd consider bullying.

The most extreme incident of this was one day when a fellow student pulled a switchblade knife on me, in a classroom.  The teacher had not yet entered.  A group of other students formed a loose circle around my desk, I believe to prevent me from trying to leave (I was frankly too terrified to try).  The person with the knife chopped at the side of the desk chair I was sitting in, not hitting me but cutting through the coat I had brought to school that day.  He did this three or four times.  Someone at the door called out that the teacher was coming.  He put away the knife.

When the teacher entered, I raised my hand and asked to speak to her privately.  She told me to wait until after class.  At the end of class - of course - I got stonewalled by a group of the bully's friends.  I didn't get to talk to her.  (In her defense, she had probably forgotten about my request.)

When I got past the shoving, I walked out carefully into the hall.  The main bully in this incident was, of course, waiting for me with two friends by his side.  I immediately turned around (taking a longer way to my next class) to avoid going near him.  He crossed the hall, grabbed my shoulder, spun me around and shoved me into the lockers against the wall, and began shouting and threatening.  The knife wasn't shown.  I tried to walk away, several times; in each case, he grabbed my shoulder and slammed me back into the lockers.  I should point out, I stood about 5'10" and weighed perhaps 160 pounds at this time - I was always skinny in high school.  The bully stood somewhere around 6' and weighed well over 200 pounds (he was heavy-bellied, but strong).  At no time did I offer any physical resistance or aggression (I was [and somewhat still am] rather a physical coward), I just kept trying to leave.

There was a large group of students around us.  No one was chanting "fight" or any such movie nonsense, but there was anticipation on several faces (and uncertainty on others).

After a few moments of this, probably less than it seems in my memory, another teacher (not the one from the class) came up and demanded to know what was going on.  The bully, of course, accused me of starting the "fight."  I just said, "I have nothing against this guy - I'm just trying to get to class."  The watching crowd, of course, found the "I have nothing against this guy," very amusing.  The teacher saw through the excuse that I had started it and instructed the bully to "clear out."  He left, I left and went to my next class.  He was not asked to go to any official's office.  Nothing was done about the matter until I told my father about it at home.  When he spoke to school officials about it, my account was dismissed as hearsay and exaggeration.

There is something of a happy ending in that my father took the bully's family to court.  I don't believe anything happened to him except that he got a warning on his record (being a juvenile, this was probably irrelevant).  However, though a witness to the incident corroborated the presence of a switchblade knife - and its being used to strike the desk in which I was sitting - no consequence was laid for its possession or use, or for lying about it in the hearing.  (The bully stated he used a switchblade comb to intimidate me, not a knife.)

Later, I asked my dad why the second teacher, in the hall, hadn't made any report of the incident at the time.  He said he thought she was probably a little afraid both of the primary bully and of the crowd of students.  I think he may have been right.

I hope this lengthy example serves to illustrate that this sort of bullying is - or at least was, in the late 70s and early 80s - often passed over, in the American south.  I can't speak for other geographic areas as I didn't go to school there.

I'll also say that I could (should?) have done more to defend myself in that (and many other) situation(s), and regret my fearfulness to this day.

Not all people are human; not all humans are people.

by Jon Sitzman on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 08:57:48 AM PDT

•  ((((JS)))) I am so sorry for your hurtful memories (9+ / 0-)

of this abuse. I grew up in Western WA, small backwoods town. There were and still are bullying cases there and it usually depended (to my memory anyway) as to who the kid-bully was (who his, usually a him, father was in town) I went to school from 1-12th grade and was still a not fit in kid, because my family hadn't been there since the dawn of time. There was one really horrible incident I remember where, as a joke, a kid took the pay-phone receiver and unwound the spiral metal cord and twirled it about neck height from one post to another across a walkway. Tragedy struck when a kid was running to not be late to class and almost got decapitated. He survived but still don't think anything really came of it. The junior principals son was known to do coke in class, nothing ever happened. I heard years later about a gang rape of a girl who passed out at a party, nothing ever done.
          This crap has been going on decades and needs to stop!
          I moved away, but family still there. Unfortunately this crap happens everywhere, every day.
          Oh and come from a family of teachers, most school administrators are on a power trip and until we get a handle on that, cause shit rolls downhill, is until we will see justice done.
          Peace and Blessings to you!

“When you victim-blame, be aware that in all likelihood, at least one woman you know and love silently decides she cannot trust you.” ` Steph Guthrie

by Penny GC on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 09:41:47 AM PDT

•  Peace and blessings to you too, Penny. (4+ / 0-)

Many thanks for the kind words, and for sharing your stories.  I agree completely with your sentiments.

Not all people are human; not all humans are people.

by Jon Sitzman on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 10:00:42 AM PDT

•  Even in the 90's there was a PRIDE parade and (7+ / 0-)

the whole town turned out with Westboro  Baptist Church style signs and hate. So far to go before the small town/small minds get changed. I was never bullied physically and had a small group of friends, but cliches were/are very popular and even in my misfit crowd, never really fit in. It wasn't until college and moving to a big city that I found my courage and convictions that were supported by others of a similar bent. I love DKOS especially for this fact, I feel I fit in with most of the crowd and who doesn't want to fit in?!
              Thanks for the diary and may we help to make a better tomorrow for today's kids today.
              Peace and Blessings!

by Penny GC on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 10:28:21 AM PDT

•  Bullying. Most of the perps at my jr. high came (0+ / 0-)

from prominent local families and the jr. high exalted sports teams. Not a good idea to fight back against that socioeconomic class. A whole school controlled by abusive jocks, my junior high. Of course in high school I laughed at these kids because there they became a pathetic minority of the student body most kids didn't take seriously. Free at last from bullying in high school, bullied a lot with little or no intervention from admins and teachers at the jr. high. But when the perps are kids from families considered important by admins who are quite stupid, well that's the way it goes. Interestingly, some of the kids who tried to get the perps to stop who were kind to me were minority athletes (I lived in a heavily white town with some black athletes in jr. high). Several of them had a very enlightened idea that you should treat everyone with kindness and love, so I'm grateful to Michael R. and a couple other jock kids who told the others to stop it. It saved me a few times, but not the rest of the time the others punched me in the hallways all day, and threatened me in class and after class. Fortunately, I had study hall last period so I was able to leave earlier before the perps were looking for me, and they were, also my house was only 3 blocks away, so many times I just ran home.

•  Thanks for sharing your story doinaheckuvanutjob (1+ / 0-)
              doinaheckuvanutjob

Same in my neck-o-the-woods. My sister has married one of said high school jocks, well connected in community types and lets just say x-mas is interesting at best. He is the rattle the empty glass until you get up and refill my drink types. He treats the first grandson like a king and the second (only 5 months younger) as momma's boy wimp. It really hurts to see this happen to toddlers! We keep moving one step forward two steps back, but hopefully the next gen gets it and we can help them overcome...
              Peace and Blessings!

by Penny GC on Fri Apr 18, 2014 at 07:58:43 AM PDT

•  Thanks Penn GC for sharing {{{your stories!}}} (1+ / 0-)
                Penny GC

I am so sorry to hear about your sister's husband. The one thing I do respect and understand in RW culture is that prayer works. Those who can get to AA and work on themselves can really also help their children and family. It's hard work, but many folks were looking for drama in their lives anyway. Fortunately, AA is everywhere, and it's a great service. I do hope your sister's kids can have other helpers in their lives, maybe uncles or other adult male figures they can see are gentle and kind, and see there are just many different ways to be male that are good.

I listen, from time to time to country music, and recently heard one song from a currently famous star (forget who it was... One of the 5 or 6 top male country stars played this excellent song. Right now, I'm in a country music hating phase, usually hate it half the year love it half or a quarter of the year, but I heard it about a month ago in the local country station rotation, it's a current song) that talks about growing up as a kid and teen falling in love with country music and as a young adult with playing guitar, writing songs and being in a band. Then he relates that this is an alternative way to grow up sane in a crazy place, being into the music. What a great and lovely song with a fantastic message for the kids.

Peace and Blessings to you too!!

•  I was bullied a great deal as a kid (11+ / 0-)

Pretty much all of it took place when I was in elementary school and junior high school; the worst of it happening at a school I attended for only one year. To the school's great credit, after I told my parents about a particular incident (I was shown a knife at a school bus stop), the principal had the bully's parents in his office the next morning.

If you think you were slight, I'd have you beat there. I stopped growing before I turned 13 (due, I suspect to a chronic illness that hadn't yet been diagnosed at the time). I'm only 5'6; at the time I graduated from high school I weighed in at slightly more than 100 pounds; in 7th and 8th grade I weighed less than 80 pounds.

Like you I sometimes think I should have done more to defend myself when I was a kid. But then I realize I should never have had to do that in the first place. The worst of it was that I only even went to my parents after I'd become physically ill over the incident I recounted above. I think we're taught as kids not to speak up about that sort of thing; at any rate that seems to have been true when I was young. There's no point in trying to change the past; we did the best we could at the time, given the skills and information we had. For me to conclude otherwise is to simply replay the bullying in my own head. It is bad enough when others blame the victim; it's even worse when the victim blames himself or herself.

•  Very well-said and correct: (7+ / 0-)
            Absolutely true.  Though politically liberal for the most part, my father was a believer in "self-reliance," which seemed to translate as "suck it up and stop whining."  He definitely did try to help, but without a female parent (mom died when I was 9) there really wasn't a lot of compassion in the teachings about self-sufficiency.

I know he meant well, and I think we mostly resolved our differences before he died, but that was a rift between dad and I for many, many years.  He later expressed regret about it, which helped me heal.

I think this story is very, very common among people of our age.  The self-reliance mythos was strong in the boomer generation and the next one or two after.  I'm glad that society seems to be approaching people and development more through an idiographic frame than a nomothetic one.  I think it's healthier.

Not all people are human; not all humans are people.

by Jon Sitzman on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 11:06:19 AM PDT

•  We hear so much about (5+ / 0-)

running schools like a business -- but if an employee does half the crap a bully does, their ass is out on the street. (Yeah, I've seen intimidation tactics used in corporate America, but never actual physical violence.)

You don't have to have lunch with someone that you don't like, but all young people should be expected to treat others with some respect, or at least just ignore and leave alone the folks they don't want.

by Cali Scribe on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 12:30:31 PM PDT

•  Should have put "trigger" in your title. :( (2+ / 0-)
          Jon Sitzman, Leftcandid

very bad memories of middle school and high school.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
          I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
          —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 11:25:25 AM PDT

•  I am very, very sincerely sorry. (1+ / 0-)
            polecat

I didn't think of it and now cannot edit.  Mea culpa.  I am again very sorry.  I'll try and think of this next time when sharing past strife.  Thank you for the callout.

Not all people are human; not all humans are people.

by Jon Sitzman on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 11:51:56 AM PDT

•  I was bullied too (3+ / 0-)

but ended up fighting back ,My son to was harrassed a bit but one day in building trades  class this group of 6 boys walked around the project they were working on so the ring leader could ask my son about borrowing his tape measure . Well they kept up and said ringleader shoved my son and my son shoved him back thereupon a couple of other bullies stated if my son pushed the ring leader he was going to have to push them whereupon my son took a shovel and almost hit one of the boys in the head,the group of bullies backed off because my son said "Just which one of you wants this up side his head???".

Now on further my son was going to be the only one punished despite all our complaints. I talked to the assistant principle who asked me why my son shouldn't be punished to which I replied that I didn't think he shouldn't be. I asked the principle My son was where he was supposed to be right? Doing his job on his side of the project right? The principle bought up the shovel to which I asked "What was my son doing with the shovel?" at which the principle asked "what type of question is that?" I then replied that he had the shovel because he was digging a ditch on his side of the project,in other words it was a weapon of convienience not one he carried around spoiling for a fight. I then ask the Principle why that boy ,who's parents made a lot more money then me ,had to ask to borrow my son's tape measure furthermore why did it take 6 of them to walk around the project to do the asking? I then added why did the bully bother asking my son for help when the two never did get along when he(the bully) could have simply stayed on his side of the project and asked one of his buddies(co-bullies) to borrow their tape measure. I was able to prove that it wasn't my son looking for trouble.

IMHO it's a fact of life you can't fight some people from a top a pedastal on a high bank over-looking a highway with a ditch alongside and a sewer beneath,you sometimes you have to get off that pedastal ,roll down the bank,cross the highway and jump into the ditch to fight back the assholes in the sewer.

Anyways the school ended up punishing all involved  not just my son but more importantly that group seen my son wasn't going to put up with it anymore and stopped the harrassment/bullying. The postscript is that every single one of those bullies ended up not graduating and all 6 have been in prison since  my son graduated in 2006.

•  WOW!!! (0+ / 0-)

Now THAT's an inspiring story.

I do think that your son's brandishing the shovel and (apparently, if I read you right) taking a swing at one of the other boys with it, definitely escalated the situation.  However, as you noted, he stood up to SIX bullies - very good perception of intimidating the leader to defuse the group - and made his reputation as someone who wouldn't take the trash.  I hate that it had to go so far down the road of violence or potential violence, but good on him.

Not all people are human; not all humans are people.

by Jon Sitzman on Fri Apr 18, 2014 at 09:18:26 AM PDT

•  well I love history (0+ / 0-)

and I've learned one thing with bullies if they get by with it they will escalate it hurting you ,or someone else,worse & worse.  Furthermore remember Hitler? He proved it only took one to go to war and sooner or later one has to put a stop to it.

•  In the classroom, yes. (2+ / 0-)
        BMScott, blueoasis

In the halls or on the playground, no.  50 teachers monitoring a 1000-student middle school?  The bully is not going to do it in front of a teacher, and teachers can't be everywhere.

You can't spell "Dianne Feinstein" without "NSA".

by varro on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 10:05:40 AM PDT

•  Like incompetent people don't (1+ / 0-)
      dumpster

hold positions in every other aspect of society?

•  There are a LOT of schools. If this is the worst (3+ / 0-)
      blueoasis, raspberryberet, Leftcandid

any set of school officials have done all week, it probably wasn't a bad week.
      A school is almost a dictatorship in miniature.  The principal can get pretty used to having all sorts of autocratic decrees go unquestioned.  Power tends to corrupt, and it doesn't take that much power to corrupt a small mind.

We're all pretty strange one way or another; some of us just hide it better. "Normal" is a dryer setting.

by david78209 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 at 12:09:42 PM PDT

•  Fools are too busy looking at (2+ / 0-)
      Leftcandid, doinaheckuvanutjob

Test Scores. Education "management" courses have clouded their judgement. It took the public scrutiny about just how bad this "Looks" (They frame it as an image crisis, not a moral or ethical failure), to get the weasels to slink into a posture of contrition.

•  Yes, and they should know better. That is, there (0+ / 0-)

are plenty of good, high quality guides and programs for admins and teachers to include in their curriculum or personal professional enrichment on how to do quality personell management, and teach and practice communication skills and classroom management/playground management skills like Tribes, a very good program for kids and adults. There are many resources and honestly no good excuses nowadays for not having a more enlightened way of doing things to prevent bullying and make every classroom/school member feel more respected and more involved. It's not like there's no resources, especially with the internet, even in a barbaric district with barbaric management, a few enlightened methods can be learned about and sneaked in, but in non barbaric places, no excuse.

•  I've never met one who wasn't a total jackass. (0+ / 0-)

n/t