View Diary: Top Comments: The Max Headroom Incident (133 comments)

•  Yes, but if the old HoundDog never comes back (6+ / 0-)

Houndicus Doggidus or whomever might show up wouldn't be a sock-puppet, but a new totally authentic imaginary character.

I was thinking of "stepping out a little" and not even being a HoundDog, but maybe some other breed.

Or who knows, maybe a different species.

I could set up a support group for "transspecials"

Endless possibilities, Dave.

I always wished I had one of those really cool names, like so many of the rest of you.

This was my plan last January 2013 when I disappeared for a 1 and 1/4. I was going go come back as Anon E Moose, or Sue Doe Nimm. and confess I was the real creator of The HoundDog and several other characters from long ago, I had to give up after discovering multiple accounts were banned.

I wrote to the powers that be and requested a special waiver but it was denied.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

Wow, it looks like we've managed to get a whole lot more people participating, rec'cing, commenting, etc. How did that happen?

"Seriously, Folks, WTH?" - ("What the Heck? "h/t Joan McCarter, Seriously, Florida. WTF?)

by HoundDog on Fri Apr 18, 2014 at 08:12:33 PM PDT

•  Well, I'm just gonna come out and say NO (7+ / 0-)

BAD DOG! BAD DOG!

Because I like who you are here and I really like your work, and you comments, and what you contribute. And it would suck to have that go away and not be able to find you, regardless of persona.

I'm serious. That would suck. Please don't do that. That's a very selfish request on my part, but so be it.

•  100% agreed (6+ / 0-)

I almost took the paper to the snout too. HoundDog, just take a few days off entirely. I promise you will feel refreshed.

•  Arrr, arrr, rrrrii.. (6+ / 0-)

Well, this might be a good deal. Let me thing about this.

See, this would be why in very special cases, we should have a waiver to the no two accounts rule.

I could keep HoundDog here,

But,also have a little corner someplace where I was just some ordinary citizen Democrat who could have his real Twitter account, and write really positive and normal posts praising Senator Warren, and encouraging people to vote, and Senators and normal mainstream Party people could send them out and link them to their friends, without any concern or confusion about what is all this "transpecial rejuvenation" kind of humor in the comments.

Or why is this fund raiser, or lobbyist for the Democratic party describing odd scenes where he is hanging out with people who smoke marijuana in states that don't sound like they are Washington or Colorado.

All sorts of problems, buried in these 28,000 comments,

Can you imagine what a field day the right would have if I was every nominated to the Supreme Court?  Or to be the new Director of the DEA?

Sheesh.. I've sort have written myself into a corner here bastrop.

And, what if I applied for a job as a "internet blogging networker" or something, and they ask to see my portfolio.
        t
        All this stuff I'm producing here is invisible. Don't you think it would be wiser to put 1/2 or even 2/3 of my posts, especially the "normal ones" under some name so that at end of the year it looks like I've actually blogged before, and can write articles on special topics?

Anyhow, it's late, and I'm off on a tangent. I've got to get back on a regular sleep cycle.

Good night everyone.

by HoundDog on Fri Apr 18, 2014 at 08:44:10 PM PDT

•  Well, I get what you are saying. I do. (4+ / 0-)

You have good chops and if you want to parlay your work into a paying gig and feel able to use your work here as a portfolio I think that is a great idea. You have a lot to offer.

In terms of publicly "owning" your entire content here, including comments, I can't speak to that because I haven't seen the content you are alluding to. I'll have to take your word that it's there. But ask yourself if it's really anything some Dems would care about. I mean, are you going to run for public office? Because if you are, you shouldn't be blogging like you do ANYWAY. You would have to reign that shit in and since you can't control comments anyone doing oppo on you would assuredly have plenty to twist onto you anyway.

Also, what make yours a "very special case"? Are you Bill Clinton?

•  No I'm not Bill Clinton. I figured I've been here (4+ / 0-)

9.5 years, and its not like I need a sock-puppet to secretly rec my own posts for mojo. I make a lot of jokes about mojo-pandering, but really, we can't do anything with it, so it makes no difference at all, and the mojo list is broken and nobody has any intention of fixing it as far as I can tell.

There's probably nothing in my comments or posts that would be way problematic for running for office, that couldn't be parleyed into an advantage. I lead an remarkable tame life actually.

A bigger problem would be may articles on Monsanto's GMO seed programs, the major chemical companies for tracking EPA scientists, the BP Gulf oil spill articles, the Fukushima articles, the articles against the heavy tar sands, the suggestions that CEOs at GM involved in intentionally mislabeling the defective switch be investigated for criminal charges.

I've just eliminated half of my major former clients. The consulting firm I founded and was CEO from had millions of dollars of billings from oil companies, two of the three major US auto companies, I taught a major piece of the second highest senior executive program in the what was the world's largest oil company in the world for about 10 years or more.

The methodology I taught was for accelerated learning and systems thinking, and the highest level managers were smart enough not to care what one politics were back a while.

But, to go back into consulting I'd be dealing with a small army of "screeners and filters" not quite so discriminating and I wouldn't have my former special "ins" I did long ago.

My understanding is that for the kinds of work I used to do on a handshake, and air ticket from the university I was affiliated off to some special project around the world, now, they'd do all sorts of background checks, and environmentalists, and investigative journalists names are often on list now, that are checked before you are invited into the "war rooms" for strategic work.

On the other hand, I may be making too much of it, as I wouldn't really need many clients at all to keep just myself busy. I used to be rainmaking for a small army of folks.

But, even having to call back some of my former clients I'd have to have some story about what I've been doing, and I'm concerned if I just said "hey, check out my HoundDog account at Daily Kos, some of them might get confused and think I was a radical leftist or something like that.

Rather than just your normal typical hard-working corporate oriented neutral generalist-whatever it is that I would be, who just happened to occasionally dropped by some late evening Top Comments and OND groups for light socializing, to gain a better understanding of my fellow human beings, in all their glorious diversity.

Because that's just the sort of thing, that normal, regular kind of people do.

Do you see the dilemma?

So, it doesn't it seem smart to create a history of the sort that better portrays who I really am?

by HoundDog on Fri Apr 18, 2014 at 09:26:25 PM PDT

•  "that better portrays who I really am? " (3+ / 0-)
              Chrislove, HoundDog, Steveningen

Seems to me you ARE a radical leftist. Or you are superior at compartmentalizing and fictionalizing your persona.

I mean, I've had a successful troll account at RedState for a long time and walk that walk very well,  and it isn't at all who I really am, but conservative politics and online interaction is an entirely different species of actor. It doesn't require the same kind of personal investment that success at DKos requires nor is that considered desirable.

I do understand your dilemma and I see your concern. Reentry to that corporate world using your writing here as a portfolio could be alienating. My question would be, do you NEED to rely on this work in order to justify your time, and is that even desirable?

Considering you prolific opus, you would shave zero problems filling out a brand new persona, but they would still all be devoid of the last 9.5 years or work, it would all be new. So, in that sense you are not gaining anything in terms of justifying your time, only is sanitizing your persona. In that regard, you might ask your self if that's a net positive for what you are trying to achieve.

Another way to approach is to ask yourself if you need that industry at all. By the short bio you provided above, it seems your business track record is impressive as a resume. Can you not take that and your last 9.5 years here and parlay THAT into an entirely different realm, one that may be less hostile to your politics?

Just thinking on paper, as it were. I obviously have no real way of knowing what the real are, of course. But I do hope that, whatever you decide to do, you stay in touch with us.

Take a break for yourself and slow down would be my immediate advice. Distance affords perspective. It's hard to gain distance when you are writing 8 or 10 diaries a day.

And I thought you were going to get some sleep! BAD DOG!

Also, the Clinton crack was in jest. I got it in my head that you were Bill Clinton because of the Big Dog moniker and I had this vision of him in his briefs with a cup of coffee and Maddow in the background pecking away at Daily Kos and piling on hide rates in the hiddens. I had to share.

•  That is a pretty funny image of the big dog, (3+ / 0-)
                Chrislove, bastrop, Steveningen

in his briefs and Maddow on in the background.

You make some great points.
                I particularly like the idea of finding something not just tolerant of my politics but where it would be seen as a compelling advantage.

When one says it like "one's politics" don't we convey a slightly negative connotation?

Whereas the way I see it, environmentalism is a consequence of good science.

Smart beings wouldn't trash the ecosystems required for survival.

Even stating it as "survival" seem crude. What would be more accurate is a equation where Quality of Life for the average person on the planet, and for all the groups important to me, (which includes mankind and all the non-conscious beings in our ecosystems) is a function of the health of the econsystem which would include a lack of poisons in our drinking waters, and food chains.

And, would include prosperity, and in the long-term, sustainable agriculture is more profitable than depleting non-renewable resources, soil, losing habitats etc.

Seeing pictures of areas that were once lush tropical rainforests brimming with diverse species producing economic value in the form of pharmaceuticals, sustainable food, and lumber production, and many other values renewable resouces, deforested with slash and burn land clearing and strip logging, and then seeing all the soil run off into the ocean because of no system of living roots, to hold the soil is not just tragic but stupid.

So, do you see what I'm suggesting bastrop? Being an environmentalist to me isn't really a "latent emotional weakness, of having succumbed to "politics'" but rather is evidence of a lifetime invested in learning biology, chemistry, mathematics, systems theory, economics, geography, environmental science and public health, plus a fairly disciplined habit of reading more in a year than many people read in a lifetime from the time I was about 8 or so years old, and every year hence without any exception.

And, remembering most of it, and thinking and talking about it enough, that I can immediately access a story, book, or author on quite of few of the topics of critical importance to our survival on our planet in the long-term.

Your idea of finding a place where such "politics" or vast wealth of understanding about how how ecosystems work," wasn't just "tolerated" but appreciated as an important way I could contribute to a groups success which was dedicated to doing everything imaginable of improving our chances as surviving and thriving together would be ideal.

I could put together a similar resume for working for more equitable distribution of wealth, based on Maslow's hierarchy of need satisfaction -- a planet with billions of creative, healthy, prosperous, thriving and self-actualizing citizens living under egalitarian, democratic governments, with strong institutions of independent judicial systems and free presses.  To me this is science and compassion based wisdom, not a vice like set of "politics I should have to hide to be employable." I should be a proud role model for people willing to dedicate their life to gaining knowledge and refining their capacity of intellect and  powers of communication.

Wouldn't it be great if some progressive Billionaires like maybe Bill Gates put up enough funding for educational institutes to advance such perspectives as a counter to the Koch brothers efforts to subvert democracy and replace it with oligarchy, and repeal every  wise and sensible environmentalism regulation and agency, so their fossil fuel burning business can maximize short-term profits at the cost of the long-term viability of our ecosystems, social systems and democracy?

Any way, you are correct in noticing I was supposed to be off to bed 3 hours ago.

I am such a bad dog. ... A really bad dog.

Woof, woof!

by HoundDog on Fri Apr 18, 2014 at 11:33:52 PM PDT

•  In sleeping on this (3+ / 0-)
                  Chrislove, Steveningen, HoundDog

it's clearer to me what you want to do now. I'm seeing what the dilemma is a little differently and can appreciate why you are considering this.

It's important for you to try and insert that perspective given your background in the industry. The no fly for conferences based on writing in that field is a legit concern. So could be the heavy political emphasis outside if the environmental issues you want to promote.

•  Thanks bastrop, for helping me clarify my thinking (2+ / 0-)
                    bastrop, Chrislove

an expression.

For some reason, my communications seem more understandable in conversation with someone else, rather than when I'm just talking on my own.

Thanks.

No I just need to find one of the many people with a talent for brevity boil this down to a few sentences of what I was really trying to say.

Like wouldn't it be great if I could find a job where being a Democrat who believe science and government can play an important roles in  protecting our environment and other aspects of the common good, with sensibe, wise, and prudent regulations, wasn't held against me?

Since, I have been so foolish as to openly express views like that here under my HoundDog name, how do I create a plausible "more respectable" track record set of UIDs more consistent with a higher profile positions where the custom is not to make any remarks in public that might be "problematic" for anyone on the Bell curve of public opinions, even in red states.

I suppose I could issue a sort of general apology, like:'

"I'm sorry if any of my previous statements appearing to support science based inquiry, and reasoned discuss in public policy have been misunderstood.

I regret any confusion such statements may have caused, to those who don't believe in science, or reasoned public discourse and retract them.
                    I can offer no excuse, but only explain that I've always tried to be a good person, but  seem to have fallen in with the "wrong crowd" after going to some of the finest Universities in America.

I have now severed my ties with these educational institution and canceled my subscription to Scientific American and Discover Magazine and checked my self into Rehab.

I look forward to returning one day as a productive member of society.

by HoundDog on Sat Apr 19, 2014 at 11:44:50 AM PDT

•  Biggest mistake you can ever make is to (2+ / 0-)
                      HoundDog, Chrislove

preemptively apologize for your position. Second biggest is to apologize when the belief expressed is purely held. Don't do that to yourself. It damages your position and leaves you less credible in the eyes of a readership, whether sharing your position or not. And for those unsure if they agree, if you are unsure then they won't listen. Why listen to a position qualified by self doubt?

In my mind the power of our words shouldnt be tempered to make you palatable to people who disagree.  Own it, use your belief to your advantage by projecting strength, let the chips fall.

•  Since my brother, bastrop, commented, I will too. (5+ / 0-)

Don't go away. Don't sock-puppet. Just be yourself.

Get over yourself and just write. It does a body good.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Fri Apr 18, 2014 at 08:34:19 PM PDT