View Diary: The Deputy Shot My Friend (86 comments)

•  No, IMO Jyotai (5+ / 0-)
    psnyder, mikejay611, Jyotai, Oh Mary Oh, chira2

is merely pointing out a truth, a daily reality. I didn't read it as judgemental.

I think his/her pointing out the danger to the employees was cautionary. Just my opinion.

Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. They lie through their teeth with their head up their behind. You open up their hearts and here's what you'll find - Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. John Prine

by high uintas on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 06:06:26 PM PDT

•  Yep (8+ / 0-)

Pointing out.

If I'd tried to take those pictures, I'd have ended up dead, or a bloody mess.

And I learned growing up than when my white friends started vocally exercising their "rights" I had better GTFO of sight. By association, I'd become the target of people who felt they couldn't take their anger out on my friends.

OMG, like, gag them with a multi-colored spoon. Like, ya know.

by Jyotai on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 08:48:06 PM PDT

•  ... (3+ / 0-)
        high uintas, Onomastic, chira2

Since I'm mixed and half my family looks white... I had to learn this lesson early and I've still got to deal with it often...

They just 'act normal' and I, looking somewhere between a 'Mexican', or 'Arab', get the looks for it (despite being neither)...

OMG, like, gag them with a multi-colored spoon. Like, ya know.

by Jyotai on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 08:51:03 PM PDT

•  I got my real education (6+ / 0-)

when my Sis married a black truck driver from St Louis and our family which was already part white and part Mexican got even more integrated.

When out with my niece and nephew I was free to do as I pleased but they could easily have paid the price if I pushed the envelope at all. I discovered the joy of being followed around a KMart, but if we split up I lost the tail.

Little bits and pieces of white privilege that most of us don't relate to because we really have no reason to. When you part the curtain and really see life takes on a different flavor. That's why I understood your comment. I knew what you were talking about.

BTW, my niece is half black and white and srsly looks Hispanic. Her children are mixed with one being very close to her complexion and one is very dark. People ask their family the most outrageous, intrusive questions!

by high uintas on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 09:36:04 PM PDT

•  I have been pulled over (12+ / 0-)

...for "driving while white" in The Community.  I filed complaints with the Sheriff's office through proper channels because it was a blatant 4th Amendment violation, and when I asked why it had been denied, a ranking officer told me to my face that the Supreme Court was wrong about the Fourth Amendment.

After that I was warned by a friend who is a detective on a local force to watch my back,. because they would be coming after me.  He was right, they did.  Using an accusation of a seatbelt violation as an excuse I was pulled over by the CHOP and a deputy.  The deputy frisked my Black employees and would have frisked me if I hadn't beat him to the punch by pulling my pants to my knees and flashing him on the side of the road.

I just about made that guy cry he was so angry and frustrated, and the CHP and my employees were laughing at him.  Best reaction I have ever got out of a cop.

Later in traffic court, the judge threw out the seatbelt charge on the grounds that the CHP officer was lying, which in fact he was.  My criminal defense attorney friend could not believe I won a case in what he called the "most rigged tribunal in the world."

But that's how I roll.  I go toe to toe, and I have yet to be arrested.

Orwell was an optimist.
        My Home Page

by RepackRider on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 11:07:59 PM PDT

•  These guys have worked for me for years (10+ / 0-)

They have seen me confront police before, in several incidents.  They are no longer surprised.

I know more than just about any white guy how it is, because The Community where they live is the dumping ground for the deputies.  It's also the training grounds.  The deputies are either rookies or losers.

I have been identified as One of Them by the deputies in the Community, and I'm pretty easy to spot.  For the treatment I get there, I might as well be Black.  In the rest of the world, I'm a regular white guy and I get away with white guy stuff.  I don't think of it that way, I just push the envelope and so far I have been pretty successful at it

I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about what I did, I saw my friend's car and I went for it.

Orwell was an optimist.