View Diary: Why do Obama supporters benefit from a double standard here? (869 comments)

•  There is a difference (3+ / 0-)

ODS typically refers to those on the right who blame everything in the world on Obama and ascribe close to supernatural evil powers to him.

"Obamabot" is pretty specific to sites like this where people are working to elect more and better Democrats.

Who, on this site, other than a troll would ever be accused of ODS?

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Sat Apr 19, 2014 at 05:06:47 PM PDT

•  "ODS" has been in 1175 comments in the last year (16+ / 0-)

So I'm guessing a few non-trolls have been accused of it.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat Apr 19, 2014 at 05:30:11 PM PDT

•  I only went through the first 7 pages (2+ / 0-)
        shrike, freakofsociety

but none of the comments that included ODS were HRed. And it looked like most were talking about the issue - not accusing someone of suffering from it.

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Sat Apr 19, 2014 at 05:36:00 PM PDT

•  "none of the comments that included ODS were HRed" (17+ / 0-)

Yes, that was in fact the point of this diary - There are kossacks who will HR you for calling them an Obamabot, and then turn around and accuse you of ODS:

Why is it acceptable to claim an Obama critic suffers from "Obama Derangement Syndrome" when it is not acceptable to call an Obama supporter an "Obamabot"?
          Of those 1175 comments, 12 of them got HRs on them, but none were hidden.

Seems to me people should just HR "ODS" when used as a blanket personal smear, the same as "Obamabot". Anyone who has a valid criticism of an argument should be able to make it specifically, without resorting to a broad insult.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Sat Apr 19, 2014 at 05:47:36 PM PDT

•  I hear you but the fact remains that the ODS (2+ / 0-)
            AaronInSanDiego, freakofsociety

comments I saw were talking about the subject, not about other comments/Kossacks.

I'm with you though. I don't like the blanket character assignations that often happen.

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Sat Apr 19, 2014 at 05:54:19 PM PDT

•  I've been against the use of "ODS" (4+ / 0-)

as it's often used here against fellow members of this community for awhile now.

Here are some of my comments in the last year, which, when parented up from many of them, will show usages that I thought crossed the line.

I even posted this comment to one of MB's Night Owls Threads, hoping for some guidance on this issue...

The term 'ODS'

short for 'Obama Derangement Syndrome,' being used perjoratively against critics of the Administration with increasing frequency.

I'm going to start HRing it. It attempts to dismiss criticism as invalid by implying mental health issues.

If Meteor Blades cares to weigh in, or advise against HRing this term, I would welcome his input.

by DeadHead on Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 01:12:22 AM PDT

Due to the fact he stopped acting in the capacity of moderator, I understand why he declined to respond, but it was clearly bothering me enough to compel me to give it a shot, anyway.

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. ~ Garcia

by DeadHead on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 01:20:03 AM PDT

•  I DIDN'T advise against HRing. THAT was... (4+ / 0-)
              poco, Brecht, cville townie, TheMomCat

...my response.

by Meteor Blades on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 07:52:49 PM PDT

•  Sorry, MB... (1+ / 0-)
                poco

I missed this reply of yours, somehow. Probably the meta elsewhere in this diary. ;-)

I'm always a bit hesitant to mention you as I did above, for fear of misconstruing your actions/words.

It's never my intent to do so, though I now see that I may very well have, inadvertently, with my comment above.

I apologize for that.

I didn't want to read the absence of a reply from you in that previous thread as an answer either, though.

For example, I'm not so sure taking this approach would've been better:

Well, MB didn't say we can't do it, so it must be okay!
                ;-)

Additional clarity on these matters is always helpful, especially nowadays, when it's seems like it's becoming increasingly difficult to know exactly what constitutes an insult and what doesn't, so thanks for weighing-in a bit more on this, now.

by DeadHead on Tue Apr 22, 2014 at 04:43:35 PM PDT