View Diary: A Challenge for the Daily Kos Atheist Community: Who Will Write a Diary Mocking Passover? (409 comments)

•  Many Rivers to cross (1+ / 0-)
    commonmass

While the Passover commemorates the people of Israel over coming the slavery and oppression of the ancient Egyptians, it has been usurped into ceremonial rituals devoid of meaning. The struggle of Israel is paralleled in the struggle of African American's struggle to reach the promise land. Brought to America as slaves, they too long to reach the promise land. But unlike the Israelite, they face not just on Red Sea but a countless matrix of them stretching to the horizon.

The Passover has last all meaning and becomes little more than a profitable season for Kosher bakers, if the lesson is lost in the ritual. Until the Meaning of Leviticus 19:33-34   is embraced and incorporated into the Holy remembrance of the Passover it remains a shallow ceremony signifying nothing. Until the Passover is viewed as a mission to free all people for slavery and oppression, it is simply a quaint tradition.

Leviticus 19:33-34

33 “‘When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. 34 The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

“We can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.” - Winston Chuchill

by se portland on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 12:59:09 PM PDT

•  That particular couple of verses (1+ / 0-)
      se portland

deeply informed Jesus. He actually walked that walk.

I can't give you any particulars, because, well, I have taken an obligation, but it also informs Freemasonry.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 01:02:31 PM PDT

•  It was a rushed job (1+ / 0-)
        commonmass

Oy vey! Would it have killed you to offer the challenge on Pam Sunday?

I came up with the Jimmy Cilff song first and tried to wrap the text around it. But there is an element of truth here for me. Ceremony without understanding or commitment is a type of sacrilege in itself.

I know good deeds will not get you into heaven, but I can't see how eating unleavened bread bread is going to magically help you either.

by se portland on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 01:18:24 PM PDT

•  Too bad that most people... (1+ / 0-)
        commonmass

...who attach Jesus's name to their own don't also walk that walk. Most Christians around where I live are too busy wondering when we evil sinners are going to finally start being burned in Hell. Just because you're not of that variety of Christian, doesn't mean that we who're surrounded by that type can separate Christianity from the pain that the Christians that we have to deal with every day inflict on us.

•  Then I would suggest that you name their (0+ / 0-)

denominational affiliation in specific, and quit the broad brush.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:29:15 PM PDT

•  Even that though (1+ / 0-)
            commonmass

is not all that straightforward. There are conservative Baptists and liberal Baptists, and the same for many other denominations.

Basically it is pushy conservatives of any variety who are the problem.

•  If I'm going to comment about Christianity... (4+ / 0-)
            skohayes, JayRaye, TiaRachel, allensl

...I don't have time to create a list dividing up the gazillion different branches of Christianity (and why stop at just dividing up Christianity by specific denominations and not have to also divide up individuals within those specific denominations?) before being able to make a comment on the religion just so you, who identifies as Christian, won't feel bad when I talk about other people who identify as Christian and how those others treat people like absolute shit and who actually hate me more for my being an atheist than they even hate me for my being gay.

•  You realize that you are talking to a gay man. n/t (1+ / 0-)
              librarisingnsf

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 03:37:49 PM PDT

•  Studies have shown... (2+ / 0-)
                JayRaye, JesseCW

...that despite how maligned gay people are in the US, voters are more likely to express willingness to vote for a candidate who's gay than they are willing to vote for a candidate who's atheist. Atheists are hated more than gay people here because even liberals who're Christian, who might accept gay people, think that we atheists have no morals.

•  Like, for example,... (3+ / 0-)
                  skohayes, JayRaye, JesseCW

...my mom, my sister, etc know that I'm gay, but they don't know that I'm an atheist, and I have no plans to ever tell them because I know that they, still being endtimes Hell-believing Christians, will think that I'm a bad person because I'm an atheist. They won't see me as being an atheist as me just not believing, they'll see it as me actively rejecting God. My being an atheist, in their eyes, would be me rebelling against God just the same as Satan does, and of course since God's going to send Satan to Hell, that also means that I'm going to be sent to Hell.

•  Let My People Go (1+ / 0-)
        AaronInSanDiego
        When Israel was in Egypt land
        Let my people go
        Oppressed so hard they could not stand
        Let my people go
        Go down, Moses,
        Way down in Egypt land
        Tell old Pharaoh
        To let my people go.
        My wife rode one of the buses to the South. I joined the Peace Corps. We still need plenty of Moseses to go down to plenty more Egypts and talk to plenty more Pharaohs.

Although of course Exodus is fiction, and the God of Exodus is a jerk, nevertheless some Jews have made something out of it that endures to this day and beyond because the story is real even if not true.

Back off, man. I'm a logician.—GOPBusters™

by Mokurai on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 11:21:34 PM PDT