View Diary: A Challenge for the Daily Kos Atheist Community: Who Will Write a Diary Mocking Passover? (409 comments)

•  sounds almost pantheistic. (2+ / 0-)
    commonmass, dov12348

Not really that far off from my own views, in a way.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 01:48:09 PM PDT

•  It really is. It's also totally cool with (1+ / 0-)
      AaronInSanDiego

my church and my lodge to believe that way.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 01:54:01 PM PDT

•  I was brought up to believe that (1+ / 0-)
        commonmass

how we treat each other is more important than what we believe, in any case. There is a stereotype, that is reinforced by the behavior of many, particularly among the religious right, that Christians hold the opposite view. I think you and many other Christians are closer to that belief I was brought up with than the values of the religious right.

Gondwana has always been at war with Laurasia.

by AaronInSanDiego on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:05:44 PM PDT

•  My father, who I suppose is technically a Jew (1+ / 0-)
          AaronInSanDiego

because his mother was technically one though her mother converted to Russian Orthodoxy before her birth in order to marry her husband, taught his kids this:

"If you leave them alone, they are likely to leave you alone".

He also taught us to be kind and gentle to every creature, and every person.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:11:25 PM PDT

•  Do unto others as you'd have them (0+ / 0-)

do unto you, said the Nazarene. It's common sense.

I never liked you and I always will.

by Ray Blake on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 05:52:04 PM PDT

•  Actually his father taught (1+ / 0-)
              AaronInSanDiego

What Rabbi Hillel, who preceded the Nazarene (110 BCE-7CE), taught: That which is hateful to you, do not do unto others. That is the whole of the Torah. All the rest is commentary. Go forth and study.

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? When I am only for myself, then what am "I"? And if not now, when?

by betorah on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 09:36:43 PM PDT

•  There's a significant difference between (1+ / 0-)
                BMScott

the two, however. Yeshu's command contains a positive, pro-active implication: to treat others well, with compassion and kindness, just as you'd have them do unto you. It goes far beyond just not doing what is hateful.

I never liked you and I always will.

by Ray Blake on Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 01:43:49 AM PDT

•  That has never worked for Jews (1+ / 0-)
            AaronInSanDiego

Nor for anybody else that I can remember. Most cultures seem to have operated on the other set of Golden Rules.

Whoever has the Gold makes the Rules.

Do unto others before they can do unto you.

It's certainly true of Republicans.

Buddhists traditionally say to leave other people alone, but don't expect anything.

Back off, man. I'm a logician.—GOPBusters™

by Mokurai on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 10:34:49 PM PDT

•  Do you see God as = all of existence? (2+ / 0-)
        commonmass, Ray Blake

Just trying to be clear because this big bang and this universe can be seen as just one corner of all of existence.

Best Scientist Ever Predicts Bacon Will Be Element 119 On The Periodic Table

by dov12348 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:14:11 PM PDT

•  I see God as all of existence. (2+ / 0-)
          dov12348, Ray Blake

God is like matter: it cannot be either created or destroyed.

My idea of eternal life is that all of my corporeal matter will continue to exist, as atoms and molecules, after my death.

I choose, culturally, to associate myself with Christianity, but what really calms me is physics.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:18:44 PM PDT

•  This is the pivotal question: (1+ / 0-)
          phoebesdatter

What do we consider God to be? If we reject the limited, self-interested notion of an anthropomorphic SuperBeing who helps out people like us vs. them, if we do his will, we're free to acknowledge the essential mystery of existence and embrace its totality. God, Allah, etc. become terms to describe that mystery.

I never liked you and I always will.

by Ray Blake on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 06:01:37 PM PDT

•  In fact, "Grand Architect of the Universe" (1+ / 0-)
      AaronInSanDiego

is how Masons refer to God, because it is the God of your understanding, and not a sectarian God.

Freemasonry is not a religion, let's make that clear, but it is founded on the idea of deism.

My father and I are both 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Masons and I attend church, and he does not. He's a self-described "Druid Animist". Daddy and I couldn't be more different when it comes to religion, but we know what's morally important and are both political liberals.

What the "Christianists" don't realize is that this is NOT a "Christian Nation". If it is anything, it's a Masonic construct.

You will not find a single Lodge in the US that does not have a portrait of George Washington in it, in full Masonic regalia.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:01:32 PM PDT

•  I'm also a "traveling man". n/t (1+ / 0-)
        commonmass

Rivers are horses and kayaks are their saddles

by River Rover on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:06:13 PM PDT

•  Good to meet you, Brother. (2+ / 0-)
          AaronInSanDiego, River Rover

Fifth generation here. My late husband's great, great, great grandfather, Joseph Brant/Tyendenaga, was raised by King George III himself.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:15:35 PM PDT

•  My father, who is a a great fan of British crime (1+ / 0-)
          River Rover

dramas on television (and in print) told me of a line in some program where a detective was asked if "he was ever asked to raise his left trouser leg". We had a good laugh over that.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:25:14 PM PDT

•  Fourth gen for me, my little lodge is in (1+ / 0-)
            commonmass

North Zulch Texas.

Not much connection 'tween Pyramid 593 and royalty.

Rivers are horses and kayaks are their saddles

by River Rover on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:45:40 PM PDT

•  Ah, Texas. My ex (not the Mohawk one) was from (1+ / 0-)
              River Rover

Fort Worth. We were at a reception at the Harvard Club one night (he was doing his surgical residency there) and someone asked him where he was from. "For' wuth" he replied with a particularly broad North Texas accent. "Where's that?" some man in a tux inquired. Being the scamp that I am, I butted in and replied "It's a suburb of Wichita Falls".

He didn't speak to me for a week.

Triangle lodge, here in Porltand (my blue lodge is in Yarmouth, though I go to Consistory meetings there from time to time) has its charter signed by Paul Revere when he was G.M. of Massachusetts, before Maine became a state.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:52:21 PM PDT

•  Mine is Casco #36. (1+ / 0-)
              River Rover

I'm working the chairs. In six years or so, I'll be Worshipful Master.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:56:47 PM PDT

•  This is getting periously off topic, but did you (0+ / 0-)

know that the first Governor of Maine, William King, was also the first Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Maine?

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 03:01:46 PM PDT