View Diary: Happy Marijuana Day: "A Tale of Two Cities," - the number of people in jail is the difference (41 comments)

•  You do know that it is possible to use cannabis (6+ / 0-)

without turning into a blithering idiot or laughing fool, right? When cannabis is legal it is not necessary to get crazy stoned every time we use it anymore because it's legal. It's the same idea of bringing a bottle of wine to share with friends at a meal. You don't need to get everyone blitheringly drunk do you?

Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT. I may make you feel but I can't make you think..Jethro Tull

by RMForbes on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 03:16:18 PM PDT

•  because it's legal (3+ / 0-)
      You do know that it is possible to use cannabis without turning into a blithering idiot or laughing fool, right? When cannabis is legal it is not necessary to get crazy stoned every time we use it anymore because it's legal
      It also becomes realistic not to smoke it any more.

Because it's legal, edible forms are returning to regular use, both medically and recreationally.

Once one removes the dangers of smoking from the picture, the use of marijuana in its own right has essentially no harmful effects at all. If you stay out from behind the wheel of an automobile while under the influence, your chances of seeing harm are less than with any kind of alcohol.

"It's high time (and then some) that we put an end to the exceptionalistic nonsense floating around in our culture and face the fact that either the economy works for all, or it doesn't work AT all." -- Sean McCullough (DailyKos user thanatokephaloides)

by thanatokephaloides on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 03:42:26 PM PDT

•  You are preaching to the choir (2+ / 0-)
        HoundDog, thanatokephaloides

I personally haven't smoked cannabis in decades and even in my last year of college I was famous for my oatmeal/raisin cookies infused with my homegrown.

Since I had more than enough cannabis to meet all my medicinal and recreational needs I didn't need to smoke it anymore, so I stopped. I have to admit to occasionally taking a hit off of a joint at a party but usually refused to smoke it. I usually ate it and drank herbal cannabis tea. I would bring my cookies to parties to share. I'm sure you are right, legalization will reduce the smoking of cannabis significantly.

by RMForbes on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 04:58:50 PM PDT

•  Hey RM, I have a friend who was asking me if you (2+ / 0-)
          thanatokephaloides, RMForbes

can just eat it raw, or if you have to bake to "activate" certain cannaboids?

Back in the old days, I remember reading that one should first back dope one intends to eat at about 350 for 30 minutes.

But, when I start to see all  that smoke going up the chimney I think "this can't be right."

What's your expert view of the whole pre-backing thing?  How long and what temp?

Can you use microwave?

I then wondered if this might be to sterilize it. My "friend" one time purchased some weed that was supposed to be pretty good, but everytime he smoke it he had really bad throat and sometimes ear infections next morning.

Not having easy access to this stuff in his professional situation he experimented with baking it for 30 minute or it started smoking in the oven.

This cured the infection part, and he reported that it seemed morepotent after than and it did not take much to eat to get high about 2 - 5 hours later. -- even just a gram or two worked.

So when hearing this I wondered if the baking might be to sterilize it from any bacteria, or if it somehow "activates" or changes the chemical cannaboid profile or does something to the THC?

You seem to be one of the site experts.

"Seriously, Folks, WTH?" - ("What the Heck? "h/t Joan McCarter, Seriously, Florida. WTF?)

by HoundDog on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 05:23:03 PM PDT

•  Cannabinoids will vaporize at 350 degrees (0+ / 0-)

So heating cannabis at 350 degrees for 30 minutes in an oven would be very wasteful.

However, Rick Simpson is now telling us that a higher quality medicinal product can be produced by vaporizing cannabis at 300 to 400 degrees and collecting the condensed cannabinoids in a tilted chamber. This process seems to increase the potency even further than the decarboxylation of THA and CBA acids into delta 9 THC and CBD, it is not clear what process is responsible for this increase in potency. This process also eliminates nearly all other impurities usually found in cannabis oils. I'm going to have to give it a try.

by RMForbes on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 07:39:29 PM PDT

•  To say it has no harmful effects... (0+ / 0-)

is not a statement that I would agree with. We simply don't know yet. However, to say that occasional use of cannabis that is orally ingested has a risk that is worth the recreational enjoyment is something that I think is true.

•  Compared to the alcohol in wine (1+ / 0-)
          OrganicChemist

cannabinoids have no harmful effects at all. Cannabis is not only the least toxic of all the things we use recreationally, it is actually therapeutic for many people. To say there is a significant risk in using cannabis is quite a stretch.

by RMForbes on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 09:39:56 PM PDT

•  I didn't say significant risks... (0+ / 0-)

and I think that we will continue to disagree that light use of cannabis is as safe as light use of wine. I'll disagree with the President on that count, also. Light use of alcohol - again, particularly red wines - has been shown to be beneficial to many, many people. I don't believe there are many researchers that question this any more. Light use of cannabis has not been shown to be beneficial to an otherwise healthy individual. There might be anecdotal evidence, but there are no good longitudinal studies that have proved this.

However, it might well be found that certain cannabis extracts are beneficial if ingested in safe manner - as long as we can get away from this stupid smoking of them. Certainly I'm sure that various extracts will be proven to be beneficial to those with various maladies. The question is whether or not they are beneficial or harmful to a healthy individual.

I just disagree that recreational marijuana use (or as some technically prefer cannabis) is safer than light use of alcohol.

•  Insomnia caused by the stress of modern life (2+ / 0-)
              a2nite, thanatokephaloides

is a common problem and a hot cup of herbal cannabis tea at bedtime is the best cure for insomnia that I know. Many people that suffer from serious sleep disorders develop other serious health problems including heart disease. Alcohol causes insomnia while cannabinoids, particularly CBD, promote a healthy sleep cycle.

Yes, there are things in red wine that are helpful in small quantities but the alcohol in the wine negates all the good things when too much is consumed. The cannabinoids in cannabis resins work together in concert with each other, making them more therapeutic and less detrimental both in small quantities and when higher amounts are consumed.

You will never be able to convince me that cannabis use is more harmful than alcohol use on any level. There are not any long term studies proving that light cannabis use is harmful to the user either. We can't do good longitudinal studies because the DEA will not allow them. These studies might find cannabinoids to be medically beneficial which would be a threat to the DEA's operational budget. The only cure for our current problem is to remove the DEA from controlling the scientific study of cannabis.

by RMForbes on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 11:32:02 PM PDT

• Congress (25)
  • Science (24)
  • Law (24)
  • Education (24)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Texas (22)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site