View Diary: The Nephew Just E-mailed Me. He's in Ukraine and says Putin Is Going to INVADE Poland! (87 comments)

•  Is there a history with the Nephew? (0+ / 0-)

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 01:36:27 PM PDT

•  Oh, yes there is. (13+ / 0-)

A spectacular case of false-persona, in which a whole lot of mostly-decent people were taken in by an emotional sadist, mainly because their own personalities make them extremely vulnerable to such confidence games. The resulting drama was seriously harmful to some of the victims, and utterly baffling to many of us on the outside of it all.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 01:44:13 PM PDT

•  Oh my! Am off to find the history! (5+ / 0-)

Because it may be a beautiful day but I seem to have too much time on my hands.

Tell Warner Brothers Pictures that Rooney Mara is #NotYourTigerLily.

by ExpatGirl on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 01:51:03 PM PDT

•  Click on the first link in the diary. (1+ / 0-)
          ExpatGirl

It goes to an explanation of what happened, and why everyone who was here at the time is so disgusted with him.

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." -- Sen Carl Schurz 1872

by Calamity Jean on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 07:13:02 PM PDT

•  Taken in by what they wanted to believe. n/t (2+ / 0-)
        Roadbed Guy, Got a Grip

If I comply with non-compliance am I complying? Sarcasm is the ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it.

by thestructureguy on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:00:53 PM PDT

•  I'm not inclined to explicitly blame the victims. (1+ / 0-)
          thestructureguy

I am not much like them, and I believe, as I said, that they have specific personality traits that make them vulnerable to such scams. I would find most of them extremely tiresome to be around in person, and their tendency to excitability would make for many uncomfortable, "Uh ... okay" moments in which my lack of interest in the immediate crisis would not be taken well.

But they are them, and they are how they are. I hope they all obtained some wisdom from the incident, because if they didn't, it was surely a net negative.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 02:16:58 PM PDT

•  You would find most of them (1+ / 0-)
            poco

"extremely tiresome to be around in person"?

Seriously? You can make that judgment about all those people based on one event?

Speaking of specific personality traits, how do you feel about smug and sanctimonious?

You cannot cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water. Rabindranath Tagore

by Thomasina on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 04:39:50 PM PDT

•  Your assertion that UntimelyRippd's judgement (0+ / 0-)

was entirely based on that "event" (choice) is without basis.

Dear Boomers: The dirty Rooskies aren't coming to get you. Breath in sanity through your mouth, breath out the Cold War propaganda through your nose.

by JesseCW on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 05:32:24 PM PDT

•  what is it based on then? He has read all of (0+ / 0-)

the diaries of dozens of diverse people and deduced that they are all unworthy?

by Thomasina on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 05:38:46 PM PDT

•  Who said "unworthy"? (0+ / 0-)

In any case, I haven't read all of anybody's diaries, but I've certainly read hundreds of diaries and thousands of comments by plenty of people over the last 8 and half years. No, I don't normally "judge" anybody based on one diary (other than the obvious trollery), or even on one flameout on what just might have been a bad night.

Personal amity is a two-way street. I doubt whether most of the people I'm talking about would enjoy my company either. It's not about being worthy or unworthy, it's about finding comfort in the company of people who largely share your general outlook on life.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 06:09:49 PM PDT

•  No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that my (5+ / 0-)

"judgment" was based on that one event -- it's not as if that was the only series of threads any of those folks ever contributed to.

And you know, we -- we humans, not we people here on dKos -- aren't obliged to like each other. Believing that we are, and that if person A finds person B to be tiresome, then there is some sort of interpersonal problem that needs to be addressed, is precisely one of the personality traits that I do not share with some of the posters to whom I refer. If somebody rubs you the wrong way, that's okay. It doesn't mean they owe you an apology, and it doesn't mean you owe them an apology. You can still be polite to one another, but you don't have to pretend to enjoy each other's company.

Smug and sanctimonious are certainly roles I can play, but that's not what I'm trying to do here. I'm not interested in blog-based personal drama, period. Other people are, some of them very much so. No doubt they get a lot out of that level of emotional investment, and they also pay a price for it. That's them. I'm okay with it, even if I don't care to participate.

To the extent that anybody around here pays any attention to anything I have to say -- and I think I have a comically low profile for someone with over 15,000 comments -- I know that there are lots of people who think I'm a rude prick. I don't ignore their sensibilities, but I also don't reflexively capitulate to their sensibilities. I don't worry about whether people like me -- as long as they dislike me for "accurate" reasons. On the other hand, a few weeks ago, I made a really, really, really big mistake -- the only time I've posted something here that made me flat-out ashamed of myself -- and I apologized as directly as possible. (It really was a huge mistake -- I wasn't paying any attention to the specifics of the person to whom I was writing, and I wrote some things that were absolutely inappropriate and unacceptable given the recipient.)

So, you may think my comment (or my attitude) reflects smugness and sanctimony, but really it doesn't -- indeed, it's meant to suggest the opposite. The hurt those people felt was real, and I didn't go into those diaries telling them all to suck it up -- I left them to deal with it as they needed to. The point is not that I'm "above all that", it's simply that I'm "outside all that" -- it's just not part of my personal, emotional experience of this or any other blog.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 06:02:10 PM PDT

•  Tipped for describing a time when you made a (2+ / 0-)
                wilderness voice, henlesloop

mistake and apologized for it. That is something that I admire.

I bet if you could get to know those people from The Nephew diaries you would find some you would like. And they might just like you back.

by Thomasina on Sun Apr 20, 2014 at 06:40:24 PM PDT